What's it like being a mentor?

I’m curious on what’s it like on being a mentor.
Is it ever annoying or tiring?
Do you get pinged a shit ton all the time? What happens when you get pinged? Does a window pop up in your face during mid combat? Can you turn it off?
And anything else you feel like it’s worth mentioning.

I’m wondering what it’s like since once I learn engineering I’m thinking about applying as one, but that’s a big maybe.

Surprisingly, no.
The players most in need of mentor help likely don’t know mentors or that mentorhelp even exist though. It’s not exactly easy to stumble upon or advertised now that I think about it :thinking:

Hm, that’s a mighty shame. Someone needs to put a pop-up for first time players or players that are not even a week old with a don’t show me this again button.
The pop up will teach some basic shit like how to move, switch control schemes and the mentorhelp and wiki button.

1 Like

Would be a good addition, yeah.

If you find you dislike it, you can always step down from being a mentor anyway.

Mentor is based but people don’t mhelp that often.

1 Like

A Honk plays and the message appears in chat, you just click on the name in chat to respond, no pop up

3 Likes

You either don’t respond 80% of the time or reply with a bad unfunny meme 15% of the time, the other 5% that are left are actual responses.

1 Like

You just sit back, wait for mhelps (which rarely arrive cause people don’t use them much), then you ignore the mhelp because you don’t know the answer.

Y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶r̶e̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶o̶r̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶r̶i̶n̶g̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶c̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶E̶R̶P̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶r̶i̶v̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶r̶s̶

4 Likes

I use mhelp when there’s no wiki page on something.

Mentors can often be shown to know surprisingly little about the game.

1 Like

Have you seen some of the fucking questions we ask bro?

I had to use mhelp the other day to ask how free golems get the research console and shit because I’ve never done it myself. It’s not obvious at all and there’s no kind of wiki page for it.

Also 99% of lavaland ruins and loot is mhelp material because, again, absolutely no wiki page. You just have to know what it does. Luckily some of the mentors are experienced miners.

Most of them are. And most of it is also listed on the TG wiki

the annoying thing about mhelp is that it’s partially broken. there’s a button to follow people who mhelp based on their ckey, but it doesn’t work, so you kind of have to do guesswork when you’re mentoring as a ghost. also some people ask stupendously specific questions that we simply can’t assist with if we’re not metagaming so there’s a weird line.

prepare to also get questions about rules which should really be asked to admins

Honking makes me scared now

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.