Whatever happened to teratomas?

I haven’t seen those funny little creatures in a really long time. I’m pretty sure since permadynamic maintenance tomas dont spawn anymore, and changeling tomas are as rare as lings are right now. They were really funny to play against, I kind of miss them!

1 Like
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

Like some other antags, they need their Objectives reworked a bit.

Yeah virology teratroma was also nuked :frowning:

Teratomas are better off exclusively as a rare changeling spawn imo. They always play by the same rules without folks having to read into their situation to find out if they can murder or not and they aren’t so common they go stale as an occurrence.

The occasional maint toma was nice to get, but after a while it always ended up going to an observer as soon as the round started who liked to push the upper limits of what the non-murder tomas could do and get away with. There’s also the issue of players frequently not even realizing there was a difference between ling and non-ling teratomas.

Viro spawning teratomas was an awful, terrible idea and deserved to burn.

I always heavily disliked teratomas overall and never really considered them to be an addition that brought a lot of value to the game.

the ling varients never should have been different and given a more expanded grief pass to begin with… usually caused them to just go and smash everything and cause plasma floods.

Fair few times ive seen tomas rush the SM and smash its APCs and it seemed generally fine? but that was a while ago granted…

Fine with causing chaos but theres even things that push it a bit too far for something so spamable… Should have been an espeically annoying clown at most and acting in self defence. Lavaland | Lavaland escalation (1 infraction can equal death but generally BM)

The actions of one blowing up a department usually caused crew to gun down all of them on sight. even those doing harmless gimmicks (like being a promoted mop janitor who slips everyone while cleaning, real example)

This is backwards historicaly, if i remember it right.
Its been a long while so dont stone me if i got it wrong
but im pretty sure the ling tomas came first, before the maints variant was a thing.

So its not that ling tomas were given extra rights, its that maints tomas had theirs curtailed

I always thought maint tomas were just a way to prevent gamers from looking at a toma and automatically deducing there were changelings on board.
While I think that’s no longer needed since our rp standards have gone up, I wouldn’t be opposed to monkey ghost spawns.

Yes this is what happened as I remember it.

They weren’t unique at all at first and admins had to intervene because they were being constant murder hobos and rushing grief. It was the ashwalker free antag situation all over again.

Fair. probably was a TG thing anyway but I guess my point stands that ling toma should have been lowered to the same standard maint toma was instead of being a branch in rulesets.

Ling

Maint addition afterwards

Teratomas were Beestation original content, and they were initially added purely as a changeling tool.

Here’s the original PR that added them, by @zeskorion

Then they were added to viro several months later, also by zesko.

huh… I just remeber them always being there… damm you time, ruining everything

Noted.

Viro I knew about them being added tho. may have set up a toma factory once or twice before… probably golden if it was still around then.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.