Virology, What can a nonantag do

So, I’ve played many hours of viro, and I like that bee has so many more symptoms and rebalanced cough and sneeze so transmission isn’t a useless stat, but I feel like theres nothing to do as a nonantag. Just got done trying necropolis seed, got lynched and told I was valid by admin cause I didn’t know it hurt people. Have made regen coma before and its been forcibly cured and I’ve been arrested cause people don’t like getting knocked out. So, the only symptoms I feel I can use are self respiration and the new one, superficial healing, both of which are super niche. Am I missing something or is it just a terrible job where you either get nothing done or die for trying to help out? Great as an antag of course, that’s why no one trust you even though you are most likely not an antag. Any tips on enjoying the role or not getting lynched would be appreciated.

Welcome to viro brother

That is it, do anything and get lynched
Serious tips though are, bounties aka creating a virus that meets xyz stats

Or separating every symptom so you can create any kind of virus that the station needs
In reality viro=niche job sadly

Though best guy to ask is @zeskorion he is sort of viro patreon

Yah zeskorion knows how to save a lot of time if you know what I mean. :wink:

1 Like

Necropolis Seed is fine on its own, especially since you weren’t forcing it on people who didn’t want to deal with its drawback. What made it not fine was advancing it to the point it started producing harmful tendrils. Security acted on a player that was distributing a virus that harms and trips everyone around the infected players.

Regenerative Coma should also never get you lynched, in my opinion. I would definitely take your side if that had been what you were distributing.

Also why were you playing on an alt instead of your main CKEY?

I just like playing on my alt when I test something new in case it goes bad like this, I’ve had rounds go bad and then people go after you when they realize its you on all subsequent rounds. Sometimes name change isn’t enough and I full on use a different account to avoid metagrudges. As for the tendrils the problem is the tendrils come before the fire/lava resist and I was hoping to give the virus to the miners, but they refused.

As a virologist, you don’t have a whole lot of beneficial traits to work with, but you do have a handful.

Always good

• Regenerative Coma
  • Self Respiration

Situationally good

• Hyper-perspiration
  • Sensory Restoration
  • Nano-Symbiosis
  • Pituitary Disruption
  • Necropolis Seed

If you had made it exclusively for miners and refused to give it to anyone else, I could definitely side with you on it. But giving it to the clown and two others, not so much.

As non-antag viro you can either

a) politely request crew to try your beneficial virus, which they will not do

b) forcibly infect crew with your good virus which gets you valid’d and removed from the round

c) collect chem boards from medical lathe/use plumbing to turn viro into your own chemical oasis to do or make whatever you want

d) release a nasty disease on the crew as non-antag eat shit everyone else haha 420 blaze it

3 Likes

Regen coma isn’t always positive because you only need to get to like 30 health and it’ll activate, which means in a fight it’s a liability since you get knocked out that much faster.

Don’t make viruses with high transmission and you won’t get lynched. That’s the only way to ensure it’s truly optional and isn’t sabotage.

1 Like

You’re missing the point of Virologist. You are, in a sense, a doctor with practically all access to medical. I tend to make a couple low transmission diseases that usually kill in a minute, load them into a syringe filled with lexorin, cyanide, formaldehyde and sometimes other toxins, then continue my work making bio-weapons.

It’s your job is to make bio-weapons! NanoTrasen have been studying the effects of strange diseases, some of which have never been seen. It’s your job to find the good, like spontaneous combustion. From the bad, regeneration coma.

The Benefactors aren’t interested in you making a disease to help the crew, far from it. They want a disease that can rip through any station it comes into contact with. So, what are you waiting for? Make your killer disease, today!

1 Like

Sadly my favorite viro symptoms got removed and I havent looked into virology as much now. But I used to make a healing disease in 10 min with Rad. Resonance and Starlight with their symptoms maxed out. I remember I healed 1 tick of everything per second, could even go chill in the sm and not worry about nothing, or take a walk to space, as long as I was radiated enough that disease was a powerful potion.

Resonance actually doesnt protect from radiation

From my experience using that virus, as long as you didnt went blind, the resonance healed whatever damage you get from radiation. The only downside would be harmful mutations, but at least for me those were pretty rare. And I am not joking, I made it once then went directly to the sm for a couple of minutes and didnt got harmed whatsoever.

the virus will prevent radiation’s toxin damage, that’s it, so you’ll be good up till ~1250 rads

anyways, let’s put it this way:
like genetics, if you make powerful viruses, be careful who you hand them to. the fewer people have maxed necroseed, the better, though ruko is dumb cuz that shit only deals 1-5 damage

with always good, the exhaustive list is self respiration, sensory restoration, mind restoration, surface healing

ruko’s situationally good list can also add:
silicolysis (really, its a stat symptom)
beesease (the resistance threshold is powerful as fuck, but it has the same issue necroseed has)
DNA saboteur (the beneficial threshold is huge powergame potential)

though ruko is dumb cuz that shit only deals 1-5 damage

I wasn’t the one that made the decision, I was just the one handling the ticket. I didn’t know enough about the symptom until asking and seeing it kill all the monkeys in viro.

Also it was chain stunning and slow-killing sec because two players with it were traveling together everywhere and causing issues.

Additionally I didn’t take admin action, I just marked it IC because he was being arrested for distribution, but it had only been to a few players so it wasn’t grief

why is this in player feedback o-o

1 Like

Is that why I could never find it without searching my post history?

I’ll move it where it belongs in general

1 Like

I’ve done the beesease with resistance, the problem is the bees still do a little damage on a sting. DNA saboteur beneficial is fun, but a lot of negative symptoms are still in, you can get sight damage, anxiety and become swedish, among others, so anyone I’ve ever convinced to try it ends up curing it so they can communicate.