[vaporwhisp] banned by [Ivniivi](Auth inithis)

Title: [vaporwhisp] banned by [Ivniivi](Auth inithis)

CKEY:
vaporwhisp
Admin’s CKEY:
Inviivi
Ban Type:
server
Ban Length:
three days
Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/):
2021-09-08
Round ID:
Ban Reason:
Directly toxic to another player. Auth inithis. (looc: Spica MT: are you roleplaying an idiot or?)
Appeal Reason:
I feel that this ban didn’t get all the facts correct, and I’d really like someone to actually take a look at logs, especially in the CMO’s interaction with the debtor and myself. Immediately jumping up to fight someone who should be known to be dangerous (psychopathic brawling) AND a suspected traitor in order to beat them and argue with the captain, and I’m the only one punished?

I fully admit that I was a bit of an asshole, in an out of character way, but the extinuating circumstances, paired with my clean record should earn me some goodwill, no?
Additional Information:
For the sake of transparency, I have an open player report for the CMO, and the two have been linked together, please correct me if either of these are in poor taste or poorly configured. Unknown CMO Player Report

The misconduct of the other player will be addressed separately, and that report processed. Their infractions are not relevant to your own misconduct. The ban length was appropriate for a mostly clean record, and would have been longer if prior history had existed.

Unless they were yelling at you in OOC or thinly-veiled character terms, there really isn’t much else to look at here.

I was advised by friends (uninvolved in the incident) to appeal it, along with the report, so I did. I do think I should be punished for being an asshole, but feel that three days is a bit much, I guess… But I’ll keep my whinging to my report.

I recently directed admins that just about any breach of RP should result in, at minimum, a round removal, and are worth a ban even on first offense if it is bad enough.

Use LOOC to ask OOC questions (not to be toxic, just in general)

Edit - here is the exact directive, it directly references OOC in IC.

So my question is: “Knowing that secret notes exist, did I have a prior note for ock-ick?”

This is a rule of thumb in general.
You not only ick ocked, but were pretty rude directly to the other player.

Toxicity is one of those things that easily warrants a ban for first offense, and three days isnt unreasonable for such

[I have still yet to see the logs for myself, so I’m speaking generally and with some faith in the others’ discretion on this]

Alright, I was the banning admin here, so here’s my reasoning.

The ban was issued for Toxicity, which is a violation of Rule 7, Be Excellent To Each Other.

The reason this was a ban and not a note was your statements within the ticket.

Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Do you understand that what you did wasn't acceptable?
Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): In this case, no. I'm really not sure what I actually did wrong, as opposed to the CMO's behavior.

You failed to realize that what you did was not appropriate for this server, and that is the primary reason for the ban.

More of this appeal is focused on pointing fingers at the CMO than actually admitting wrongdoing. For that reason, I move that this ban be sustained.

Care to share the line that was so unacceptable? If calling someone an idiot for trying to round end an innocent is bannable then ban everyone… thats not the worst I’ve seen from regulars…

Did you even clarify what he should not have done or bring up the statements used to the player during bwoink? was this just bait for him to say no while confused about the question?

The full ahelp, for context.

[2021-09-08 03:31:52.012] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Hi, got a moment?
[2021-09-08 03:31:56.873] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): Yes
[2021-09-08 03:33:52.344] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): I was checking your say logs, and saw some stuff that likely made some other players uncomfortable, and would possibly be considered toxic. One sentence of particular note is "Do I actually need to break character to explain how the job works"
[2021-09-08 03:34:53.985] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Mind clarifying that for me? I wasn't online at the time, so I may not have the full facts of the matter.
[2021-09-08 03:36:11.416] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): Yeah the CMO kept talking like he doesn't understand how the debtor works, and there's no real way to convince him using IC language ##He was talking like he was getting ready to mess the debtor up because of some minor crimes the debtor commited, and having found a used Syndi Autosurgeon in maintenance.
[2021-09-08 03:36:40.202] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): I had to cut if off at the pass before he round ended one of like a dozen players on the server.
[2021-09-08 03:38:16.891] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): The CMO claims that you berated them for "beating a homeless man" when they detained the debtor nonlethally for breaking into tech storage.
[2021-09-08 03:39:03.906] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): Not nonlethally, he was near death when I got to him. and it's not breaking in when he walks in through an open door.
[2021-09-08 03:40:58.369] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Ok, so taking that as true, we've put the question of crime-and-punishment out of the way, the only matter that would then remain was toxic language. Don't you think breaking character would be more suited to LOOC?
[2021-09-08 03:42:38.463] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): I can't LOOC when I'm on the other side of the station, helping someone renew their ID. I'm kinda the only one who can do several things around here, processing criminals, and ID changes included.
[2021-09-08 03:43:03.484] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Ok, well, you did manage to perform one LOOC, contents as follows: (OOC) (LOOC) "are you roleplaying an idiot or?"
[2021-09-08 03:45:15.311] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): Yeah, I wasn't busy for two seconds, in between surgery checking one actual traitor, and dealing with a validhunting CMO who refuses to listen to me.
[2021-09-08 03:46:07.017] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Well, unfortunately, being toxic in and of itself is against one of our core server rules.
[2021-09-08 03:47:19.953] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): So, I'm being punished?
[2021-09-08 03:48:07.259] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Do you understand that what you did wasn't acceptable?
[2021-09-08 03:48:54.594] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): In this case, no. I'm really not sure what I actually did wrong, as opposed to the CMO's behavior.
[2021-09-08 03:50:11.442] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT)->Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard): Normally I get it, but if I'm being punished and he isn't, I really don't.
[2021-09-08 03:50:28.401] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ivniinvi/(Leo Szilard)->Vaporwhisp/(Spica MT): Unfortunately, if you can't understand how what you did was wrong, I'm going to have to ask you to take a short break from the server.

If calling someone an idiot OOC is toxic, then there should be bans left, right, and center for toxicity. It feels exceptionally heavy-handed to ban me for my one comment when there are people who go on actual insulting diatribes in OOC after the round has ended.

Yes, I know that using the “other people get away with it” argument seldom works, but toxicity is now worthy of a three day ban, and people are MUCH more toxic than “are you dumb?” in both IC and OOC manners EVERY ROUND.

1 Like

The primary reason this was a ban and not a note wasn’t the toxicity, it was because you didn’t realize what you did was wrong. Additionally, as Ruko commented above, we have instructions to at minimum round remove players for breaking RP, which you did in loud mode over comms. These factors combined amounted to the three day ban.

How is what I did wrong, but what so many others do EVERY SINGLE ROUND I see them NOT wrong? How am I the first ban for “toxicity” that I’ve ever seen when there are KNOWN toxic individuals that say and do MUCH worse things both IC and OOC.

Should I be ahelping every micro-aggression to make sure that the rules get applied equivalently?

Comparing yourself to others isn’t going to get you very far.

If other players are actually being toxic, please ahelp them.

2 Likes

It is.

Treating players who are either OOC not knowledgeable or IC not knowledgeable like shit isnt really a desired trait in this community.

Don’t be a dick.

Specific choice of words doesn’t matter, getting heated enough to snap at someone mid-round while breaking character is an issue.

I’m not saying ahelp every “”“micro-aggression”"", but if someone is being toxic towards other players, yes. Ahelp it.

Anyways, this is all irrelevant. You’ve been told what you did wrong, and the punishment has been supported by another admin. Appeal denied.