ValuedEmployee Admin Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):

ValuedEmployee

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):

ValuedEmployee#5119

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):

I’m online for a majority of the day throughout the week, but 5 days of the week throughout the work day I’ll be on a Mac. EST is my timezone.

What changes, if any, would you bring?:

Many reports seem to sit for some time because I think many admins are busy, perhaps the staff could use someone to process reports. I’d help out in that way the most I think.

How old are you?:

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

There have been many complaints I’ve seen of reports not being processed and I’d like to help with that. I’ve also been asked to apply by different staff members.

How long have you been playing SS13?:

Since December 28th, 2021.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:

I started playing SS13 on Beestation and had it as my mainstay until last month.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:

I would say a 5, I’m good with an assortment of jobs and creating items within the game but have little experience being an antagonist and combat is not something I typically partake in.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):

I have no experience administrating video games.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:

I have no experience administrating video games.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:

No, ValuedEmployee is my only Byond and SS13 account.

Your strengths:

I am persistent in my goals and creative (I’m sure you’ve seen my plushies floating around), this leads to certain problem solving skills that have helped me in my work life and throughout college. A hobbyist at heart, I like to make things for people and help people have fun where they weren’t.

Your weaknesses:

At times, I can “jump the gun” with what I think something is, misrepresenting it in my mind subconsciously, but this is not intentional. It’s something I would like to improve upon. I also have a mischievous side when I’m really bored, but that tends to happen only when I’ve got nothing to do.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:

Being blamed for something I haven’t done can have this effect on me. Although, not nearly as much as it did in the past but I bring it up because it was the easiest way throughout my life.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:

Patience, otherwise, many admins would have given up moderating a long time ago.

What makes a staff team good?:

Communication, if there’s something you don’t know or you’re unsure then ask about it with other staff members. Don’t run into the unknown by yourself, it’s a team effort.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:

A staff member is meant to improve the user experience through various tools and methods. If the rules of the server aren’t being followed by a user, that harms the experience of other users. The staff then takes the necessary measures to correct that behavior. And if something goes wrong gameplay/server-wise outside of the user’s control, then it’s up to the staff to correct the situation.

What kind of player are you?:

As social as possible. When I began I was stuck in my head constantly doing pet projects to learn how to play and get a handle on what the game really was. Time went on, however, and now I can’t help but focus on other players and what they’re doing instead. Talking with others and getting on with their focus has become my joy in the game and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Helping others and seeing how they shine is the heart of my experience. I don’t have antag on because of this, I would rather experience the troubles with others rather than be the trouble.

Most of my playtime has been centered in either Engineering, Robotics or Cargo. Engineering and Robotics for the mechanics of it, and then Cargo for the social aspect. Bartender is something I also really enjoy, making the bar look as comfortable as possible to entice people to sit down and chat never fails to make me happy!

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:

I would probably gain a deeper appreciation for the process as I’ve never been on the other side of the wall as a staff member.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

Check the clown’s hours, new players can be especially oblivious of antagonist objectives. Bwoink them and explain why it’s not okay if so (It’s an antag objective).

Hours aren’t low? Non-antag clown doing this sort of thing is griefing and breaks rule 8 because the intent was to make the gun (station equipment) nearly impossible to find again. If he was doing this on red/delta alert, that’s another break of rule 8.

Now an antag clown is breaking rule 13.3 if it wasn’t their objective because they’re depriving other antags of completing theirs without a valid reason, and if it was their objective then it’s baffling they’d space it instead of keeping it in a more obtainable location for themselves later.

For either non-antag or antag instances, check their player history and centcom for this kind of behavior and this can either go from a note to a week clown ban in my book.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

The player responsible would be imprisoned at the centcom cells immediately to halt any further grief.

This player has grounds for a permanent ban immediately for a few specific reasons:

1. The player is self-antagging breaking rule 9 in a way that immediately affects a large portion of the station negatively.
  2. They are clearly not new and knew what they were doing, as sabotaging the distro loop with plasma requires expertise to manage.
  3. Dragging an open plasma can through the station after sabotaging the distro loop shows even further intent, which Rule 8 “Do Not Grief” emphasizes that the player showing intent to do these actions breaks the rule.

This seems like an open and shut perma ban case, tell them to explain on the forums if it was a mistake.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

Check the player time and see if it’s a low hours chemist. Might be an honest mistake of a newer player. Nothing if they’re new. If not, then check out the scene to see what they were doing (Logs if following up on a report). Were they making bombs on purpose? The intent is crucial here.

If they obviously made a gaff, leave them alone. If they were trying to create explosives as a non-antag on purpose, check their notes and history of their account to see if this is repeat history. Leave a note if they haven’t done it before, but give a talk to them and tell them they shouldn’t be doing this if they have a history of it along with another note explaining you’ve explicitly told them not to do it again.

9 Likes

While I have nothing against you as a person or player, I do have to question the actual intent behind this application and if it’s really being done in good faith; or if there are ulterior motives surrounding it. This stems from your statements about wanting to step away and some of your more recent activities in and out of Bee.

To put it more bluntly, I’m wary about your reasoning and I’m not entirely sure if I trust this.

1 Like

Hey Crossed, that’s pretty fair. I’m not sure I intend to play Bee anymore but I’m torn. There’s a lot of people who would like to see Beestation improve, and I’m there with them. Bee was the first server I got to play SS13 on and I’ve loved it dearly. One of the major problems I had with it were the amount of players who didn’t roleplay, I’d like to help improve the roleplay standard by easing the burden of reports on the forums. Even though I’ve been somewhat more mischievous of late, I’ve done many things in good faith the past 6 months here. I wouldn’t be making this app if Milly hadn’t asked me, though. I told her no yesterday but… I changed my mind to help.

8 Likes

After talking with other members of staff, we have ultimately decided against your application at this time.

While we appreciate the effort taken to apply and recognize the thought put into your answers, we do not think you would be a good fit for the team. Your motivations still aren’t ultimately clear and your, “mischievous” behavior has admittedly marred your otherwise good character.

Thank you again for the time taken to submit the application and I’m sorry to have to turn it down.

1 Like