Upcoming armor rework

you’re one-shotable despite your armor if the person hitting you is determined enough to kill you.

There is indeed a threshold to where Armor stops being effective at protecting you yes, but it has still remained effective in regards to forcing the enemy to take extreme, likely inefficient or unsustainable measures to achieve such results.

If the enemy has to expend the time, effort and/or tele-crystals to counter the fact that you’re wearing armor, then to the minimum extent, said armor has done it’s job.

Please give proper explanations of what each choice entails because i genuinely struggle to envision what’d it mean in practice -
otherwise this seems to be a genuinely good idea pr, gj zesko

2 Likes

source based is how it works now.

if it were source based with changing explosion, fire, etc armor, i’d make it so explosion(and bio, fire, acid, etc) armor is on average lower, but a lot more effective at what it does

if it were based on damage types, i’d have an armor variable for Brute, Burn, Toxin, Cellular and Stamina damage, and the other armor types would be integrated into those

if it were based on damage types, with a melee/ranged distinction, it’d be nearly identical to what we have now. Melee/bullet for brute damage, [nil]/laser for fire damage, stamina/energy for stun damage, etc

if it were based on damage types, with a melee/ranged modifier, youd have all the damage types, and then it would multiply by a number based on if the attack was ranged or not

what i’m probably GOING to do is make it based off of damage types, and then add a separate list of “tags”. each tag will be a specific source that could deal damage to you, that armor specifically resists. So, mining would have “fauna”, engineering would have “radiation” and “electricity”, security would have “bullets” and “melee”, etc. This would also have the side effect of making it so no one suit of armor is the “best armor” in the game, because each would be better against certain threats

3 Likes

ah epic, ask for feedback and say you will ignore feedback in just one sentence.

3 Likes

yes.

I’m not staff so i dont have responsibility :blush:

Okay but… how is getting impaled by a watcher different by getting stabbed by a spear. I feel like a fucking idiot but these seems pretty similiar things, but you would take more damage being hit by the same weapon used by a greyshit and less damage from the same weapon as this antler wing thing.

because I’m not a simulationist. Don’t try to pretend that our current armor style that wedges welders, toolboxes, and spears under “melee” is any better. Damage type based would be more simulationist if damage types had a bit more granularity, but I don’t care for that. This is a really simple way to make armor easy and type-based, and works better from a gamist standpoint.

71% of voters* think what you said is cringe

*at time of writing

2 Likes

Slash/Pierce/Bludgeon brute damage sources pls

with how i’m planning on doing damage types, i’ll be able to do this pretty easy, and you should also easily be able to add new ones

1 Like

How will this make the game more fun?

3 Likes

let miners have more fun walking around in swanky armour that they earned and is rightfully kinda OP on lavaland without depriving everyone else of the fun of beating them to death.

Mostly, itll be easier for coding

But “fun” is a buzzword. The proper term to use is Engaging or Entertaining- not all entertainment from a game is necessarily fun. Even being mad can be entertaining
(Why else would league of legends have such an audience)

(Why else would league of legends have such an audience)

Fun moments. Huge learning curve you can start over many times due to 100+ characters. Seasonal rewards to motivate people who’d otherwise quit. Generic aesthetic pleases most of the audience. Extremely easy to learn the basics. Fanservice up the ass. Credit is due the guys are hot too.

Much like many mainstream games that are made these days or still updated, it’s designed to reel players in. Games like ss13 don’t really have such merits, usually designed just to be fun instead of specifically to keep players interested, and that’s when the whole “fun is subjective” thing comes into play.

So its about the sense of pride and accomplishment?

3 Likes

league of legends player

2 Likes

I mained Azir several years ago, they gutted him into oblivion, I stopped playing.

Any other derailing questions?

goldpants

code will become better

game will shit itself slightly less violently

game will be more fun due to less lag

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.