Tubestation Development Thread

should i make the grey lines actual maint, or just walkway to connect the sections with power+air?
I think it’d be more functional with actual maint but it might be funnier with just walkways.

• real maint
  • space walkways only

0 voters

4 Likes

Cant believe you are taking this seriously but im gonna cheer you on then.

We should rename this to the Tubestation development thread.

3 Likes

actually space walkways are much funnier, but I have to stay by the orginal

I’d also hook the AI up by Engi maybe? I forgot silicons existed when I first made this, maybe put a walkway to there since every other map has a tube to go there. It would defeat the purpose of 'Tube’station but when was this shit ever normal?

Also civ needs a launcher to Sci that I overlooked

1 Like

Done and done

Watch this goes dormant and close :skull:

2 Likes

I will keep the thread alive. Even if i have to develop the station myself! Glory to Tubestation!

Yk how Meta cargo has that walk way with the shutters that open? Why not have that.

2 Likes

proof of development

Gonna close the poll as soon as its not 50/50 anymore for purposes of me getting to actualy map it
definitely didnt already start making maints anyways

7 Likes

How about you develop some bitches

3 Likes

My first thought was

But we can turn this silly thread into more serious conversation
Everyone who ever played with map editor or even just thought about designing station had this idea for station consisting of separated departments connected by tubes, eliminating most if not all hallways. This concept is appealing to many

The issue with it is in tubes itself, they are just terrible
They take space, they are slow, you need to wait for a stupid pod to come over

Disposal pipes are better mode of transport in every single aspect so if someone would actually like to rework transit tubes into something usable I guess they should get rid of pod to make them operate more like Futurama tubes and make disposals even worse to use-slower, maybe giving you some brute damage etc

But if I were to do it with current tubes I would recommend doing a low pop map since rounds on these are usually slower anyway and its easier to equip higher % of crew with EVA suits in case anything would happen.
That said, a lot of people will still hate it, and since you can’t please them what’s the point of trying? So I would go all gimmick, put all weird map ideas you got, this map will be breaking conventions anyway and will piss a lot of people off so why not go all in on that?
So yes, do only space walkways
Combine departments in unconventional ways
Do some weird wiring or piping layouts
Maybe have high voltage connection between each separate station/island and conversion to lower voltage at each of them. Other codebases have something like that but even without porting things you can just have 1 grid that goes from engineering to each station/island with high output from engi SMES and then on each have another SMES with lower output going to APCs

When it comes to piping some time ago I had idea for not having one big distro pipe around station but have few separate nodes, each crossing just few departments

That way you could in theory gasflood just specific departments while not affecting all station (this design needs to be given a lot of thought, you shouldn’t have nodes for each departments cause antags would have easy job flooding sec and command, each node should affect few departments and it would be best if departments that antags would like to flood were combined with these they wouldn’t like to be affected)

Disposal pipes could be cut in segments too, all starting and coming back at same room. So you could have this sorting room, you throw something into first disposal, it travels through let’s say command, med, service, goes back, lands on conveyor belt that moves it to another disposal chute, it travels through another loop through sec, engineering, cargo, comes back, conveyor takes it to another loop etc

These are just from top of my head, options are limitless. If you dare have plasma-nitrogen atmosphere and make all races wear envirosuits except for plasmaman who could wear normal clothes.
As said, if you are going gimmicky enough to use tubes then go all in on gimmicks, break all design standards

4 Likes

I just realized how hellish atmos development of this map is going to be.

Im racking my fastmos brain at this.

2 Likes

I havnt gotten to that point yet but i dont see why i couldnt just steal letmyself be inspired by other stations atmos. when it comes to piping it up, why would it be any diffrent than a normal map?
(possibility of a joke aside)

1 Like

if martin gets a request can i ask that cargo starts with a giant fuck off gun to aim at other departments

3 Likes

The Monkey’s paw curls… Cargo gets a BSA… always locked onto cargo…

1 Like

do i get two more wishes? I’d like to wish for assistant maint access and roundstart asimov AI 100% of the time

1 Like

Wish granted, Apidmov confirmed.

Granted, the engineer and assistant role have been merged. Engineering is now part of service. Atmos has been deleted and is now SCI’s duty.

3 Likes

My lag makes disposal pipes unusable, like just moving 3 tiles on one already forces me to DC and recconect (ping doesn’t come back on it’s own), i hate them.

1 Like

Putting each department on its own atmos line could be a fun and unique thing.

2 Likes

aight gonna take that feedback on board

i think im still gonna have atmos interconected between departments, but seperated by valves so unless an atmos tech goes around to open them it’ll be seperated atmos with seperate feeds

for depts that directly connect to engineering via maint part that should be fine™
but to get the seperated feed pipes to arrivals and civ i might need to lay to sets of feed pipes right next to each other and im not sure if that’ll be nice

but im nowhere near at that point yet anyways

dev status: civ area is mostly done, arrivals is functional™ but will need some more touches
all other depts are nonexsitant as of now

5 Likes

The reason i said that is is having lines feed to every part of the station from Engi like some giant tentacled monster could lead to issues.

1 Like

i did the command area today
heres some more proof of development - caps quaters

yes i know lights and disposals and ect ect ect ect are missing its not done yet

2 Likes

Ok but doing the map procedurally is actually a good approach. Ensures you get each bit done.

2 Likes