Traitor backstories and objectives

ah, Ego’s probably gonna choose the climber then lmao

Would be nice if assassination objectives told you if your target was a syndie, there’s fun roleplay to be had when a syndie has another syndie as his target.

2 Likes

Is this what you wanted?

6 Likes

I wonder how this will interact with pre-decided character motivations? When Orion’s traitor/syndie it’s because his sister’s sick and she needs money for surgery.
I guess I’ll pick one of the “love” motivations?

Love love love this.

1 Like

Yes, exactly! Perfect.

You can write custom ones or choose something like “The Debtor”

It’s not like you even need this menu, it has almost zero gameplay impact aside from faction select, but if you don’t select one you just get Syndicate anyway

It’s a tool, not a requirement

2 Likes

Love incentives and encouragement for rp. You’ve been on a roll lately!

2 Likes

(What roll, I am confused)

3 Likes

they mean to say you are a darksouls player

Hey Kat what do you think of maybe a excommunicated style back story? Or like a defector or something?

I recently tried something like that (I ignored my objectives for the most part) and went around looking for protection as my character wasn’t really a fighter.

I don’t know. We have syndies and excommunicated but we’ve never had someone who JUST NOW defected. I wonder what that would be like!

When I was still knew quite few of the features of antagonists. I used an agent card, mulligan toxin and was never discovered. Assassination target died by themselves and I escaped. Just missed the item object but otherwise, EZ green text.

Could we have The Drug Addict? Someone who has recently gotten addicted to drugs and spent every single peny they had on it. Then they reached the Space Station 13 in the distance… they see the chemistry… Honestly, can we just add a bunch of the professions from Catacylsm: Dark Days Ahead?

Will write the original description for it and then make it more applicable for SS13. The list can be found here.

Failed Cyborg, original
“Your body is a wreck of bionic parts. You have a large capacity for power, but are filled with broken bionics. At least your ethanol power supply still works.”
The Failed Cyborg, my suggestion
This would require you to be an IPC.
“You’ve always been jealous of them. Advanced tech and high tech IPCs! With all their fancy cybernetic gadgets and high quality materials. Worse of all are the BlueSpace IPCs! With their greater than ever technology and the frontier of IPCs! I’ll show them they are no better than me! I’ll show them what I am capable of!”

Poor Student, original
“You come from a low-income family, and you got mocked for your old hand-me-down clothes and for getting free school lunches in the cafeteria. Even worse, your ratty old backpack finally fell apart at the worst time. At least no one’s mocking you now.”
This is good as it is.

Crackhead, original
“Cocaine. It is, indeed, a helluva drug. You blew your money on some dust, and before you knew it you were turning tricks behind the local CVS just to score one more line.”
The Crackhead, my suggestion
“JUST ONE MORE SHOT! JUST ONE MORE LINE! JUST ONE MORE PILL! JUST ONE MORE!!”

Lost Submissive, original
No.

Groom/Bride, original
“The cataclysm struck on the big day and you escaped with nothing but your wedding attire. Cold feet? You’d just like to keep your feet attached”
Groom/Bride, my suggestion
“They were arrested on your wedding day, jailed the day after, and subsequently beaten to death after a week! Your whole life, everything you’ve done and built for the better part of your life, all of it taken away in the blink of the eye. You’ll get your revenge on those who wronged you!”

Shower Victim, original
“You were in the middle of a nice, hot shower when the cataclysm struck! You barely managed to escape with some soap and the most massively useful thing ever… a towel.”
Shower Victim, my suggestion
“Fucking can’t take one nice shower before some arse tried to peek on me! This time I’ll get them a fucking shower of their own blood!”

Imam/Mourchida, original
“You spent much of your time prior to the apocalypse at the local mosque, studying the words of the Prophet and the Quran, and guiding your community in prayer. Back then they came from far and wide to listen to you, now they come to eat your brains.”
Preacher, my suggestion
Might be a bit conflicting? I’d like to heard what you think about this one. Could possibly be refined using the words of Jan Hus’?
“That Chaplain as they’ve come to calling themselves spout nothing but LIES! I am one with the people, I live with the people. The Chaplain requires a massive Chapel, fancy clothing and gather tons of wealth and for what? To dress up their mistresses? To piff up their pets? It’s pathetic!”

There are surely several more that could inspire plenty of back stories for SS13, but I am tired now. I go sleepy.

I think the problem is these backstories are separated from your objectives. These would work better with different antags.

2 Likes

Aren’t they supposed to set your backstory and give you something to go on off? So when you confront your target you don’t say BANG BANG BANG but “STOP PEEPING ON ME IN THE SHOWER!” STAB STAB STAB! lol

If I had anything to suggest on top of that, I’d say the current way obsessed is framed (the voices and such) gives way for worse RP. In my opinion, obsessed works much better when the person gets a message like “you’re helplessly in love with [name]” and something about lust for blood.

2 Likes

I haven’t even noticed them. lol

I mean, it is an RP game, you’re supposed to create the RP interactions and not have 'em curated through a selection or such. Find a reason yourself! Once I was a Roboticist and I forced my obsession to become an AI and then change its laws to love me. Game didn’t tell me to do this.

1 Like

feel like a brainwashed backstory could work somewhat well. The Syndicate already has brainwashing technology with hypnoflashes and surgery. Fills a niche for people who normally play “good” characters but want to lean into being a nefarious little bastard since they’re not fully conscious of their actions

4 Likes

Either that or some kind of DNA clone of the person, an imposter of sorts. NT has gene tech to copy people’s enzymes, who says the syndicate doesn’t have the same thing?

3 Likes

I quite like this, I think backstories could work, but there should be enough open leeway for the player to inject specifics that play off of that character’s personal values.

1 Like

Maybe a hacked IPC option as well, for IPC characters? Not sure if you could also somehow add this for malf AIs.

4 Likes