The extent of RP and command roles (also a discussion on NYA)

Following my second ban from LRP related issues, I now wish to make this thread on the extent of RP on Bee.

Bee is an MRP server, not an HRP server, and this is intentional. But I find this line between LRP and MRP is very difficult for me to find. I don’t want to play HRP, because I don’t want to be held to a perfect standard at all times, I do enjoy a bit of tomfoolery, but I don’t want to play LRP, because I’m not one to enjoy powergaming and constant meme-ing, and I like the concept of actually having an in-universe lore, jobs, a boss, all that. However, I do enjoy aspects of both LRP and HRP to an extent. Thus, MRP! It’s the middle ground. But as I’ve found the tolerance for even somewhat LRP behavior has been relatively low (even considering roleplay justifications for things that look LRP).

My recent ban: Excessive Nya-ing and constant use of all caps along with some semi LRP messages while playing as the captain. Past notes for RP violations, tone it down going forward. Cooperative in ticket.

Now, yes, this IS semi-LRP behavior, HOWEVER, I do believe that playing an absurd character should be acceptable to an extent where your job is still getting done, you’re still at engaging with the universe from an RP perspective, etc. Yes, I am typing in all caps, but that’s because my character is just shouting at everyone in a flat tone for the sillies, and my character is A FELINID and thus has some Nyas to say! (Also, at this time I am still under the impression Nya is still not considered netspeak?)

Now I do understand command staff are held to a higher scrutiny, I believe the RP requirement should be a little more lenient to command staff having interesting or absurd characters, at least sometimes. This is my character’s gimmick, essentially. For actions that aren’t immersion-breaking (not spamming memes), aren’t breaking other rules, aren’t meta, etc.

I DO think that we should be able to have more fun with command characters, is no one sick of the same rough, command-y personality? If you’re still doing your job and functioning as a character in the universe and not metagaming or breaking the fourth wall, I think more absurdity SHOULD be acceptable.

Like, if I’m still doing my job yet being an absolute idiot as a command staff, I feel this should be an IC issue, of “CAP, YOU’RE A DRUNK!!” or even could create interesting situations of demotion or IC consequences rather than a ban for LRP behavior, especially since I wasn’t actually BREAKING roleplay, I was just running around talking in caps (WHILE DOING MY JOB), doing flips for fun, and saying NYA (as a felinid) instead of goodbye or when something happened around me.

My previous ban occurred following a report where I did actually spam memes, so I feel this is sensible, but I think in this context maybe there is more of a discussion to be had.

What are your thoughts on this?

I’m not going to appeal this ban, because, whatever, I’ll take it. I won’t play a dumb Cap, I guess. But, I do want to present this to the community and discuss it, since I think it presents an interesting question.

EDIT: I would also like to direct everyone to my feedback thread if you’d like to leave any! Kat Newton feedback

4 Likes

is saying “nya” cringe AF?
yes.
should it be rather normal for felineds/catboys/catgirls to say it?
Its been going on anywhere there are such characters for probably in excess of 12 years by now. Yeah.
are you allowed to cringe so hard your teeth explode like a block of glass in a hydraulic press?
completely.
should you report people for it?
Bruh if you can’t handle “Nya~” even to the point that it’s being used in every second sentence, then you need to realize the existential state of Beestation is cringe for various purposes you can read about on this very forum. you need to re-prioritize.

4 Likes

we should force everyone to speak through randomly selected words in the terminology page like the codeword language

5 Likes

actual syndie code-speak manual

I do further want to note a funny RP moment I had that round.

I walked into atmos, saw CE and a random atmos tech. They were teaching the atmos tech. I walk in, tech says “Oh god, it’s cap”. I, hearing their dread, shout “NYA!!”, and then approach the atmos tech ask “Hey. Do you want some Nyice?”, “What’s Nyice?”, “It’s Nya-ice” (grabs water tank), “Here, NYICE!!!.” - “Just lower the temperature.”

me: waves hands over water tank
me: hits water tank with tail rythmically

“There. NYICE!”.

Atmos tech proceeds to be absolutely confounded by my behavior but not surprised because it comes from a felinid. I leave.

Their work wasn’t heavily interrupted since this interaction was relatively short, it was RP, and yes it may have all been in caps and over-nya’d, but I think it’s fitting. This is the type of stuff that gets blocked out when all you do is look at logs and see “NYA” and caps and go “oh this player does not RP”.

3 Likes

Inround I was told playing a drunk captain does not justify the use of caps, nyaing, etc. But I think RP context was missed, and personally I do think playing a drunk captain justifies this. Obviously, you can’t do this all the time, it’s a gimmick that only works in moderation, but I think there should be some more consideration to creating fun situations over perfect RP “by the books”, playing a toned down version of this character just wouldn’t be as fun for anyone involved, in my opinion. What could have been done differently that both includes more RP and is MORE enjoyable for everyone? If I stopped saying Nya altogether you miss the IC felenid hate-fest (everyone loves hating felinids), you lose the way Nya brings the felinids together, you lose the great moment of Nyice. I honestly don’t think there are that many players that actually mind this from an RP perspective.

Fun fact, at some point in the round atmos got plasmaflooded, perhaps it was caused by your nya :flushed:

No, we’re not. We are an ‘RP’ server.
The actual ‘MRP’ tag got dropped a while back.

It’s not in isolation. But when you go around saying it multiple times and put a Nya joke in the station name then it’s an issue.

3 Likes

Functionally to me, Nya to a felinid is “*beep” to a Cyborg. It’s a versatile filler word, and that’s how I use it.

1 Like

Makes sense I suppose, unfortunately though ‘Nya’ is a lot more synonymous with the whole LRP memey felinid stereotype. Some people kind of drove it into the ground (not that it was ever particularly great to begin with).

4 Likes

Yeah I can see that, which is why I think a lot of the problems I’ve experienced in relation to my use of Nya have been more an automatic synonymization of LRP and Use of Nya than context-based “this player is shitposing Nya and literally doing nothing else”. Like, I don’t go around shitposting Nya without some type of escalation (crew hating on it, felinid hate fest), and even then it’s not me going on the announcement desk to say “NYA SUPREME YOU WILL ALL PERISH HAHAHAH”. Like yes, nya is not RP when used excessively, however, a felinid who in logs appears as:

Kat Newton: NYA!!!
Kat Newton: Hey, you, stop!
Kat Newton: NYA!
Kat Newton: Nya!
Kat Newton: wags tail

There’s loads of missing context there. Am I just walking around saying Nya in the halls to myself, or have I just approached someone’s desk and use it to get their attention, or am I hitting someone with a stun baton and saying Nya after each hit? It’s really hard to tell, and I personally don’t think in most cases it’s been “shitposty”.

the biggest issue with “absurd” characters is that if everyone plays an absurd character, noone is absurd, hell you can probably stick out from the crowd by acting like a normal person

4 Likes

hi

Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?

For this very reason I don’t always do this, I usually play a pretty mean CMO or an engineer that’s a lot more down to business. I’ve also been enjoying silicon, since that requires a lot more serious RP, following laws, etc.

This absurdity is a minority meant to spice things up, which is why I think it’s way more fun as Captain than just some crazy old assistant greytider type deal that everyone’s going to dismiss as some noob LRPing than an actual dumbass character.

If you can spam nya i surely can spam gamer troll troll face trolled in your face as well?

2 Likes

This is fine, some admins just forget that this is not an HRP server

You’re missing the fact that Kat is a felinid, and you’re also creating the strawman that I am spamming Nya. I am not just copy-pasting NYA every two seconds and shitposting on the radio. I am saying Nya during or after conversations, or while approaching people. There’s a difference there.

1 Like

Bee is an MRP server

pretty sure we’ve rebranded to just an “RP” server

You are missing a fact I’m gamer

3 Likes

Yeah thats cope

BeeStation is lrp
Players like lrp

1 Like