The current state of ghost roles on Bee (and of just being a ghost)

Branching off and continuing from a discussion on the “Sleeper could use a nerf” topic when the idea of possible additional round removal was brought up.

In the time that I played mostly ghost role, at this point I think around exactly a year ago now…
I pointed out my grievances with the system as someone who generally makes an effort to be either a neutral or positive experience for others. There’s already enough death and chaos in this game, I didn’t want to add to it.

Over this last year, not only were things not improved… but in my eyes actively worsened by the code and by the mindsets of crew.
To me, it feel like Ghost roles are not allowed to have a positive (even negligible) influence on the round without the risk of them becoming full on antag against their will.
They are either zero interaction or actively hostile towards the station.

Allow me to explain each I have a problem with:

First of all: Drone
Wont go too much into it as I already have in length. Yes, I apologise that I could not do anything myself. I am indeed, inept at coding.

Second: Super-cruise
Removal of Charlie station as a stand alone entity and the removal of the (blessed spawn) lone Com Agent

In its place was added an actual antag spawn mechanic, capable of in theory round removing up to three others and going to the station if their goal was to cause more trouble.
Likely led to metagaming in regards to avoidance of Assassination or VIP recovery missions if averse to the OOC known risks of potentially throwing your round away.

“Charlie station” was thrown back in but required the exploration team to conditionally spawn it while a ghost willing to even take the role was watching. Interaction plummeted and what WAS there typically ended up as confrontational or outright antagonistic from reports of such.

Theorised scenarios include:

• active grief of the exploration team
  • A waste of 10 min as the team goal was Nuclear, likely leads to stand off or;
  • Full respawn as a random Human who is taken to the station
  • Business as usual for Charlie station

1 near zero interaction and 1 remote and minor antagonism
Replaced by 1 Neutral interaction / Minor antagonistic and 1 Major antagonistic

Third: pAI
Alot of requests were made of pAI to expand their ability to perform and assist Antagonists.
With no ability to choose who your owner will be, this makes playing pAI a massive gamble if you are not interested in being antagonistic. Unlike every other role. You have the ability to disable it in configs or selectively decline midrounds.

A few features were added to pAI from upstream which was then used as an attempt to add severe drawbacks and easier traitor conversion, which thankfully was blocked.

pAI to me is a comfort role, where all you do is sit in someone’s pocket and talk to them, be it just general chatter to brighten their day or knowledge and assistance with tasks.

The outcry of “I tried to kill X but their pocket alarm started blaring. Please change this” is a pretty pathetic excuse… If you studied your target for more than 5 seconds you would probably have noticed that they were talking to something and thus… prepare countermeasures for such
-2 TC funny flashlight or EMP kits
-Cult EMP
-Iron/Uranium mix
Hell… even just manipulation of your target… yknow… roleplay?
"OMG is that a pAI? If always wanted to get one of them. Is it okay if I hold it for a sec?"
Assuming yes: Wipe pAI. Attack target before they know what’s up assuming ready.
Assuming no: Relent and carry on, revert to plan A. EMP before you attack outright.
pAI stun is extremely long if you include the mute. Plenty of time to strip, search and wipe before it can alert.

pAI are a strangely abusable role… and I don’t mean playing as one.
Your preferences hold zero regard in the arrangement. Anyone can wilfully disregard you and download anyway with no chance to rebuke.
And if allowed (and as stated, was planned to make it easier). You can easily be stolen and converted. Making it fully blind to player willingness.

Along with the vague nature of what pAI are allowed to do if they run into a bad master. There’s only an entry on what to do with a bad pAI. Nothing inverse… Am I allowed to wipe if master is unsatisfactory or abusive or do I have to follow my laws under duress and stay unless it gets to the point where only an Ahelp is the way out. May require fleshing out. another time tho.

Four: Just being a ghost

A dull experience where a group of people with nothing better to do than lament over what did, what is or even what isn’t happening on station. Its a breeding ground for a toxic mindset and one that hasn’t been addressed. This will only get worse if rounds get longer or if round removal becomes easier

with so little to do during rounds other than complain or leave there is a massive reliance on RNG for a ghost role to suit your fancy:
5 on lavaland (3 Neutral, 1 Minor antag, 1 Major Semi isolated antag (Grouping syndie as one))
2 in space (1 Minor antag, 1 Major antag)
16 Station side. mostly midround (2 Neutral, 2 Minor, 4 Major, 6 Round ending, 1 variable between Major/R.E, 1 Positive leaning and 2 wildcards (its xenobio and Borg)

NONE of these are guaranteed and an overwhelming majority are actively antagonistic. Meaning if that isn’t your thing. then things are even worse.

Unless you want players to just leave after being round ended without resorting to waiting for a chance to do it to someone else, I urge people to address this.

• There is no guaranteed activity in which at least a minor interaction with the crew/station is viable.
  • Nor is there any (ghost) role that is actively beneficial to the station with no strings attached.

These would be addressed by drone.

• There is no self contained area where in ghosts can mingle or do anything they wish with the mechanics of the server as a form of learning or entertainment.

This would be addressed by some form of ghost cafe.

Conclusion. (and TLDR)
If you want people to not be afraid of or aversed to Round removal. Then I believe these two additions (Drones/Ghost Cafe) at a very minimum would provide some incentive to let go of that mindset.

If you know that if you die, that you likely wont be able to play for upwards of Two hours. Then yeah… No shit are people going to be unwilling to give up their round to an Antagonist.
Give people an actual reason to stick around or continue what they were doing in a secluded mini-station.
This may also clean up d-chat a little. there always will be salt… but I hope there wont be as much stewing and decent into a cesspit where people wait for ghost roles to spite or incessantly complain.

I also do not agree with the notion that every station side ghost role should be detrimental to the station in some way, even by outside factors like subversion or conversion. You are not allowed to just be nice without the threat of such hanging above your head at all times.
And that’s kind of a shame…

This… Got a bit rambly there but I think that’s everything I wanted to Address.
Thanks for reading this mess :^)
And I hope that I’m not the only one who sees these as issues with solutions.

4 Likes

Alright since i’m also a big pro-ghost spawners i’ll see what i can add:

• Drones
    IMO are nice to see from time to time, i enjoy when admemes drop 2 or 3 for ghost to take, i think the ideal time for them to appear should be around 35 minutes onwards since at that point they can help around with different issues that may have been present at that time.

The drones that spawn on the abandoned russian ss12(or was it 14?) are fun too! but they’re tied with the issue of Super-cruise which i’ll elaborate a little down

• Charlie station
    It should 100% be back, and i mean the good ol’ abandoned station that needed to be repaired, i’ll separate them from the super-cruise ruin generated ‘‘charlie’’ survivors since i’ll speak about them later

They’re a good variant of golems/lizards and, if done correctly, led to some interesting gimmicks back when we had jetpack z level travel it’s… a gray spot if they should be allowed to be on the station, i think it depends on the circumstance, if the player rushes to build a teleporter to get back asap to main station and go straight to hop to ask to be deputy to hunt le valid… yeah that’s a no bueno. I think it would be an interesting addition if they had a shuttle building kit added to charlie, that way they could become merchants and sell goods on the station/ visit the other old space ruins (the ones that barely get visited by Exploration Team)/ travel to lavaland/etc you get the idea.

I think the problem lays on the way Super-cruise works because if i remember correctly the ruins are only generated when someone goes there, and if they leave they get deleted, meaning that if you happen to go to Unknown signal #1984 and find the bunker, the moment you leave it it will get deleted (Correct me if i’m wrong, but i’m basing this on how the exploration ruins works)

I think this system was done for different motives, possibly performance (to not have to load that many zlevels or something like that) @PowerfulBacon would need to clarify how does exactly works because atm that’s what prevents the drone russian station/original charlie/ asteroid coms agent from being a selectable roundstart spawner as we had before and if Bacon happens to reply to this i’m also interested if Whiteship and pirate assault space ruin are fixed?

• Super-cruise antags
    I believe we had a thread (or multiple about it) i think it’s convenient to continue the conversation on that there, i do hope if we ever get npc ships and stuff like that introduced we get some ghost roles that can’t roll antag, IMO it makes sense that a changeling can roll since it follows The-Thing premise though it’s obviously an asshole move if that ling randomly kills the three explorers (And i think the message that tells that All explorers are dead/stranded is not clear enough for the players to ever set a rescue mission

• About pAI’s
    i remember fondly the times were we had so many lovely players being pAI’s every round i surprisingly felt a lot of roleplay involved everytime there was one of them, and i hope those times return, however i do agree that as an antag it was… kind of annoying to not being able to engage with a possible target because they had three pAI’s in their bag, though after some nerfs they’re not that hard to counter, they had/ve? abuse potential in different areas but since they’re not that prevelant as the times i mentioned we haven’t seen many issues rise

• About ‘‘just being a ghost’’ and toxic mentality

Yeah, not gonna lie… something that has been on my mind for quite sometime is the mentality and the way they express themselves on d-chat and i’m not talking about a player that gets killed and start ranting on d-chat that is to be expected at this point, i’m talking about some prevalent ‘‘ghost main’’ players that like to stir up everything on d-chat from criticizing everything that a player does, passive-agressive comentary and so on, this eventually become a snowball effect whenever someone dies since they get to read about that and it’s a snowball effect, obviously if they were straight up insults it would be something ahelpable at that point but seriously some people need to not be a dick sometimes, specially since all they do is backseat watch everything all rounds until they roll a midround antag to ‘‘teach the living a lesson’’ (i remember someone said that once lol)

• About other ghost roles

This has been talked about too! i think last thing i said was that i’d like if, for example, Lifebringers could had like a special type of grass tiles so they can start terraforming lavaland to an extent, i think a lot of ghost roles could benefit a lot if they had some addition on stuff to do for example… the stranded doctors… What are they supposed to do? 100% of the times i’ve seen someone pick it they go two routes:

A)Rush nearby lavaland ruin with no enemies to grab random item placed there
B)Ask on radio for help so they can be rescued and go back to station

I’ve played on other stations and it’s nice the variety of options that you can have to continue playing in a non-immediatly-go-antag way, from a straight up Syndicate Station to a Café to just chit-chat and play random mini-games

I remember suggesting for a xenobio-lab spawner that would had no chance to go into main station and their sole purpose would be to chill around with co-workers and to learn the job, sadly the way the server works it’s not possible since there’s a limit on entities meaning that a regular player using xenobio for mostof the shift will cover the entity slots on monkeys/slimes and going beyond that could lead to performance issues (correct me if i’m wrong that’s what i understood when someone explained to me months ago)

But yeah, a massive overhaul on ghost-roles would be a good help against the fear of round-removal on it’s own side alongside presenting different opportunities for the player (learning to do X job) or to impact the station in an antag and non-antag way depending on what they choose.

Edit: also mentioning @Ruko since apparently is working on ghost-roles related stuff

3 Likes

To me it seems like you have some strange allergy against being any sort of antagonist. Why do we need to remove all kinds of ghost spawns just to cater to you personally?

4 Likes

My opinion stands with you on all of this, and with lodeddiper.

While I agree we need the old charlie back and for our “positive” ghost spawns to have much more of an impact, you… can’t really have midround ghost rolls that are positive without them being either OP or boring.

People will either prefer a full respawn over rolling station pet/xenobio creature slaved to some random guy who just doesn’t RP with you and tells you to “go do whatever”

And I have not seen any ideas for a midround that positively helps the crew. Even ninjas, who have an opportunity to be nice and helpful, usually ends up being complete dicks about it and are still antagonistic and negative in nature.

• About ‘‘just being a ghost’’ and toxic mentality

I really don’t see what you mean by that backseat/toxic mentality of people who roundstart observe? I see much more salt from people who die, and those who “main” ghost are usually the ones who try & give info/tips.

There are a few new “ghost mains”, who can be cunts and play know-it-all, but they’re few and recent. I really don’t see anyone else acting noticeably toxic, apart from people who died mid-round, because duh, salt.

What I personally try every time before a midround rolls is to give tips to any potential player getting it and to give more info if they die on good strats and whatnot for the future, and i’m afraid it can be seen as backseat gaming, when i’m just genuinely trying to give info on what to do because so many players just don’t check the wiki as they panic for their first time playing a big rare midround like blob or space dragon, which, i comp understand lmao

I have been for permanent station drones since I learned they existed, with decently high hour lock on the role so it’s only available to players who have been here for a good while already and aren’t going to be prone to abusing them.

Drone bans also exist for those that still do.

4 Likes

Ah yeah… I forgot about KC13 and its drone spawners.

As for Charlie. I think after the BSM removal it was near impossible to get crystals for a teleporter without mining some.

Yes. As I pointed out. Ruins are generated during the landing process. This includes those containing the midrounds.

Yeah… I’ve seen passive aggressive comments about what’s going on in the round more than a few times. A lot boiling down to “Why isn’t this antag causing chaos at the 10-20m mark”
As well as people sitting observing both Sage and Acacia at the same time waiting for ghost roles. This is a bit of a separate issue but worth pointing out while I’m at it.

I don’t really have an issue with lavaland spawners, Combat Disky was taken away from ash walkers and given to Syndie. Meaning miners don’t get free loot or a metagamey excuse to wipe a defensive tribe. Golems can take the piss sometimes but both sides were warned to be neutral in encounters and tone back escalation.

I’m… sorry? I don’t believe I was arguing of such… My argument is that more roles are slowly being turned INTO antagonists, Charlie station, pAI, People have even been asking to Emag drones should they be allowed.

I’m only asking for 2 additions and for people to stop treating pAI like a holopara

As for

Correct. However I see drones as a careful balance of the two. While capable of full respawn with hands, Rules are incredibly strict while letting you interact with the station (Not the crew. Unless fixing station equipment near them AND NOT FOR THEM)

• There are no grey lines for rules lawyering shittery
  • You cannot willingly nor mechanically communicate with crew
  • You get to ignore and hopefully be ignored by station threats while making sure that the floor tiles are placed correctly, Or whatever you see as maintenance or improvements.

This is all Locked behind other Silicon hour requirements

Drone post has everything currently wrong with drones and what limits should be added.
ALSO, Please for the love of god don’t port TG drones. They nerfed them into unusable AFAIK.
You cannot interact with items that a carbon has touched in the last 5 min and being within 1 tile of a carbon, living or dead, fully locks you down. Meaning its possible to spend the entire round like that

Finally. Yes. Observers likely don’t have the same issue as they don’t have a half hidden corpse on the station and have no reason to stick around unless specifically waiting for Midround or talking to someone.
What I was meaning is that the sunk cost fallacy is a powerful thing. The more you wait for recovery, the harder it is to just walk away. This could turn to spite and gives dead ghosts incentive to sabotage the round in order to get the shuttle called, via antag means or just resorting to spawner grief.
This can be addressed by having hard upper limits, however all this does is keep someone out of the round and away from game mechanics or just wanting to be a character of their choosing, isolated or not.

Ghost Cafe can also act as an outlet. RP the best you can on station, even if this means throwing your life away. Your “punishment” for such, if you even wish to use it, is now being allowed to goof off and do what you like in a secluded area where you have no ability to interfere with everything else and thus are not subject to most rules. A win win no?
(And yes… obviously Rules 6-8 should be upheld even there)

3 Likes

they’re fucking epic bring them back

this is more present, yes, but I don’t think it’s due to toxicity - it’s just that ghost mains feel a boring round more than a crewman would because even if a crewman’s job is boring, they can still do something

I really like observing and talking with other people about the gameplay, it allows me to see the points of interests in the game more directly and see many of the perspectives that a normal crewman just could never get.
(It also allows me to spot many bullshit behavior and i’ve ahelped quite a few people acting like shit that i’ve noticed while a ghost)

But when it’s been 1H30 minutes with 0 thing happening, people, myself included, start to get bored and either tag out or complain about it for a bit. I agree that it tends to happen, but haven’t felt it was like, an overbearing/overwhelming thing.

click for dumb ramble

Although I still think that if you roll a really rare antagonist and proceed to either play stealth & do one hit kill tactics without ever being seen again while focusing on greentext, and without any cool gimmicks or strat, or if you don’t wait a bit to read the wiki before jumping in head first into an unknown antag role solely to get killed instantly despite it being the only point of interest in the round, i will tend to get slightly annoyed. not salty, tho, i try to avoid being toxic or rude to them

needs to have something done about it. It’s not often, but still happens quite enough for me to say there needs to be a ruling about golems spawning and instantly going on station to validhunt. I’ve seen a fair few, some of them even building mechs and going to hunt le antage - usually red alert ones so they can’t get bwoinked because “everyone can fight it”

could you please expand on what you mean by ghost cafe ? that sounds interesting

1 Like

Another name is Afterlife bar, Which I believe is from goon

Currently if you have ever been sent to Ninja prison, either via them or contractor. Then you already have the basic idea.

This but expanded

Ghost Cafe on [Redacted] takes up about as much space as some space ruins and allows infinite spawns as character pref as well as T4 equipment and building materials.

This is a small but densely clustered area within it

Not asking to copy 1 for 1 but take ideas from it and add to the “cafe” we already have

This is also a except from Goon wiki regarding the features they have there

TG also lacks these features so nothing to take from them

5 Likes

also want to add that pais ARE whack, like, i really don’t see how you missed out on the clear abuse they did. With normal antags, yeah there had been ways to counter that, but if like you rolled xeno and there was one (1) pai they’d INSTANTLY rush to your location and call out where you are every 10 seconds on comms.

I’ve even seen a PAI talking in alien tongue just constantly spouting insults and whatnot at xeno queen. And like, yeah, a few taunts are fine, but it was constant and genuinely toxic as fuck. They abused their immunity to xenos insanely it was ultra annoying

and even then, you can’t realistically require every single antag to stalk their target for 20 minutes. AND EVEN THEN, a lot of pais just roamed around, and abused the fact they were invincible (again) to call out any antagonistic behavior they happen to spot while basically patrolling the station.

I remember getting one of the “pai mains” back then, telling them about my antag gimmick and asked them if they’d rather join or roam around, they just went “nah i’ll roam around” and left instantly, more interested to rp with their other pai friends lmao

the “pai gang” was a really annoying bunch using pai mechanics to validhunt, you really can’t deny that

2 Likes

That could be great, yeah. You could also code in a way to spawn items hand selected to avoid abuse, and allow for a lot of experimentation. Make it a sandbox area to play around in.

If that was a thing, I think a lot of people would go there and it’d reduce a lot of the people just doing autism projects on their own for 2+hours and yelling whenever they die, because they’d have the opportunity to see if it works firsthand

but also you could ignore the entire sandbox area thing and implement it as you described, solely because, like, if you want slow rounds to try whack things in, go to acacia jackass, not on the server where rounds end fast and you risk dying due to antags

Another idea would be to bring tg’s Mafia in, basically a amongousse for ghosts that is just another thing people could do while hanging out

it should also not prevent from being revived/cloned/rolling from midrounds imo, or they’d be severely unutilized

1 Like

Just because you cant “kill” a pAI without hands, does not mean they are immune to being dealt with, even by Xenos.
Slap them till chassis dies, drag them away. Build a resin wall jail for them.

Ahelp. Whether you done above or not.

As for the roamer, If you downloaded it, you have the express right to wipe it at any point should it be acting against you or for its own benefit.

1 Like

doesn’t change they’ll still get out and proceed to evade you/call you out. A lot of the times you also aren’t able to spare the amount of resin required to make the walls, and back then the time it’d take to do so is enough to get at least one borg rushing in with a plasma canister and plasmaflooding your ass, taking a new posi brain if they died.

PAIs are massive dangers to antag for what’s supposed to be a roleplay only role and i really dislike it on that basis. You should not expected the funny little robot cat to ruin your round entirely due to its immunity and other abilities

1 Like

Fair. There ARE countermeasures to pAI as explained in OP

If you feel that the pAI or the user are constantly doing this or summoning with the express reason to act as an antag alarm over having a pocket friend then that may stray into an enforcement issue

I would argue that following an antag as pAI is considered valid hunting

2 Likes

A rework of pAIs to give both pAIs more autonomy on choice of being downloaded and also ways for antags to deal with them would be lovely.

Also the pAI “metagang” did not validhunt in the slightest, we literally just RP’d, and protected our owners.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.