TFP/Jameson's Expression of Interest

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): thee_flame_prince

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Jameson#1780

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone): I work M-T 0730 - 1200 EST, available to and usually play a few hours after work, and very frequently throughout the weekend, typically between 0930 and 2400 EST.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: I am a very community oriented and friendly person, my goal as a member of the Bee staff would be to improve and build on the current connection between staff and player. I feel this is something that can be overlooked at times and is one of the most important features in an online game - especially a newbie friendly server.

Beyond that, I would eventually like to utilize my background in administration (as in droll paperwork/policy) to help build on the current staff system that Bee has. My efforts would be focused on - if not already existing - staff cohesion, training and development of staff and standardization. In the likely event these are all elements that exist and are actively worked on in the staff team, I would aim to help maintain the above.

How old are you?: 25

Why do you want to be an admin?: This question has always stumped me - I have always sought out positions where I could help contribute to a game/community’s facilitation no matter where I go. I believe it is because I enjoy the responsibility and interactions as a staff member. I want to help people, and that much can be seen in how I play SS13 or literally any other game, and this feels like the way to accomplish that.

As to why I want to be an admin for Bee specifically, I find the community and staff team to be a good personal fit for the type of person and staff member I would like to be. This server prides itself on its newbie friendly ethos and that is something I’ve always had a focus on - teaching new folks how to be spessfolk. Beyond that, I’ve enjoyed my time with Bee and want to give back to the community and staff team for providing an enjoyable experience.

How long have you been playing SS13?: Since 2010, I first started on SS13DL owned by Android Data and Lyndonarmitage1. This server had a very Star Trek heavy inspiration and was likely the first use of holodecks on SS13. It also saw the common occurrence of an old game mode: monkey mode.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: ten days. living 58h, ghost 14h. mainly engineer and medical doctor. not nearly enough, please read the bottom of this post.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 5 - I’m always improving my knowledge via experience and private server, and am willing to code dive to find information as required to ensure I am best equipped in my role.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?: 9 - I have been moderating, administrating and overseeing communities and games since 2010. I have built upon this toolbox of skills that I have for a very long time. I’ve seen the positives and negatives of different moderation styles, and have come to a happy medium that works for me and I believe is functional for most other communities. I’m not afraid to voice myself and offer insights to different situations that may arise on the staff team.

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13: Most of my relevant and recent experience comes from previously co-owning and managing a ROBLOX game. At it’s peak, I managed a staff team of 20 and a support team (mentors, essentially) of the same number. I still work there currently as an operations staff member, overseeing the staff and support team and helping management decide policy and determine our direction as a business.

As for SS13 experience, I was previously a councilmin at another server for a few months and administrator off and on. I am comfortable and confident with the SS13 admin system and will require very little touching up to be fighting fit. I’m very good at diving for variables to help with events or solve problems creatively. For an example, as an Admin Observer at this other server, using what little power I had I was able to effectively moderate minor situations.

Besides that, I’ve had various roles in different games and communities, including but not limited to: Garry’s Mod DarkRP, Garry’s Mod PERP, ARMA 3 Altis Life and “Cowed”, a BYOND game.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: No alternate accounts!

Your strengths: I am a very patient and thorough individual. I ensure that the job is done right the first time so it doesn’t have to be done twice. It’s incredibly difficult to upset or annoy me as I am capable of separating personal from professional and can handle any sort of disruptive player with relative ease. It’s not easy for me to burn-out, I’ve got an addictive personality and when I enjoy something I find ways to keep enjoying it. I also know how to take a break when required to ensure that I don’t get burnt out and sick of playing/moderating in spess. I am good with paperwork: spreadsheets and “official” documents and can help Bee create any as required. I know when to back off and am efficient at getting others to back off of a unwinnable fight.

Your weaknesses: I am dealing with and medicated for a variety of mental health issues. This will come to affect my time with Bee as I will need to take extended breaks and/or step down if things are getting too hard to handle. I will do my best to be communicative during these times and do what I can to continue to contribute even while I am struggling. Accepting me will be done under the understanding I bring a lot to the table, but I ask patience and understanding when I’m down. Beyond that, I find that I am too lenient at times and see the good in anyone. I know that’s a backhanded “weakness” as it’s a positive one, but I feel as if years of doing this have made me realize how trivial some things are, and that affects how I interact with more disruptive players. I want to help people to improve themselves even if they themselves don’t care about improving. I will also happily play devil’s advocate and will do what I can to stand up for people who I feel could use the voice. Lastly, I have a very bad habit of pushing my opinions on everyone else. Having done this for so long, I have got in my head that the ways I know are the right ones. While I’m open to criticism and change, and I do my absolute best not to push, it still sometimes comes out and for that I preemptively apologize. Just tell me I’m being a bit much and I will happily back off (unless I feel it’s worth fighting for).

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: While I’m a very patient person as stated earlier, I definitely have pet peeves and will be less friendly with a player if they adminshop - I am a very considerate person and I will keep my mind open to varying opinions, so when a player adminshops and undermines me, I feel like I’ve failed them as they felt they couldn’t address the matter privately with me. As far as interaction with colleagues, I hate internal drama and prefer handling conflict privately and professionally over talking behind people’s backs or people talking behind my back.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: In all of my years, I have found that consistency is easily the most important trait to have. While patience is a very close runner-upper, there’s communities and staff teams that do not require patience and are more systematic about their response to rule breaks. Given that, consistency is something that should exist with every staff member. If your rulings are not standard, if your punishments are uneven, you directly undermine yourself and allow people to throw and back up accusations of bias and unfair treatment. If you’re going to be an impatient, ban-heavy staff member, ensure that everyone gets that same treatment and not just the people who piss you off.

What makes a staff team good?: Two words, cohesion and communication. The ability to appear to the public as a united front. This prevents adminshopping from even being a consideration as it will be common knowledge that staff don’t mess with each other’s actions. It keeps the staff team tight-knit and creates a positive atmosphere. For communication, It is important for staff to speak to each other and keep one another aware of new situations so no one is caught off-guard. It is important for staff to communicate to management if they’re going to be inactive so that they can manage staffing to ensure servers are being looked after, reports are being handled and ban appeals can be addressed if the banning staff member in name is going to be absent for an extended period of time. Lastly, staff need to communicate problems they have with each other to each other. Privately, preferably, and with a neutral mediator if necessary. This helps prevent any bad blood between staff. My quote is, “Ya’ll don’t need to love each other, just work together.”

What is a staff team’s purpose?: Facilitation. They are the individuals who have accepted the responsibility of delivering a safe, fun and interactive experience for the community. Their role is to do everything in their power to ensure that everyone is playing fairly and “being excellent to each other” and those that aren’t are corrected or removed from the community, based on the severity of their transgressions.

What kind of player are you?: Up until recently I played as a pacifist quirk player who couldn’t cause harm to living beings. Given that meant I couldn’t properly defend myself or others - especially in cases where I’m working with the engine and need to guard it from foul play - I had to remove it. Still, I refrain from injuring or hurting other players, even if they’ve wronged me and will do my best to help recover them to keep them in the round. I play with the knowledge that the other spaceman is another person just playing a video game, and do what I can to keep them actively playing that video game for as long as I can. I ideally play in a way that is fun and interactive for everyone who plays with me.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I will adjust and learn Bee’s ways of doing things and adjust my moderation style to the modus operandi of the staff team. I will equalize my time better between LRP and MRP to ensure both servers get attention and see my lovely face.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

In order to best find the answer to this scenario, a staff member should shift their focus to rule 3 and rule 4 - do not grief and do not self antag. Specifically, the quote that says “This means if you commit crimes that may result in you receiving capital punishment as non-antagonist, you are breaking this rule.” The HoS personal energy gun is a highly valuable item as it can be an antag objective and thus the prank would be liable for a capital punishment. This would intrinsically mean that the clown has broken a server rule (as well as SPESS LAW) and could be punished for their actions.

Prior to boinking the clown, I would make a quick review of their notes and play history to see if this is an problematic individual or someone who has been redressed for griefing before in order to determine the best course of action. Upon confronting the clown, I would ensure they understand that their actions could very well cause a detriment to not only the HoS, but any antags aiming to get their grubby hands on it.

If the clown has a recent history of abusing his role as a clown to “haha prank’d” I would issue a temporary job-ban for one week. If there is a recent history of generalized griefing, a day ban may be considered depending on the conversation. At minimum, a note on his file and a stern warning would be required.

In addition to this, I would chime in as Central Command to alert the Head of Security that a patrol ship found his energy gun adrift and has bluespaced it back to his office with a demand he consider cuffing the weapon to him next time. This would ensure any antags who needed it for greentext would be able to still steal it, and the HoS isn’t out of his personal gear because of a prank.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

Assuming the other admin didn’t ajail him, I’d immediately ajail him to prevent him from causing anymore damage. I’d begin the ticket by trying to ascertain his reasoning for plasmaflooding the station and bleeding a canister into the open. A few scenarios come to mind where he attempts to play dumb, is actually new and somehow both actions were consecutive mistakes and the last is he logs out.

In the event he plays dumb, I would explain to him for consistency sake that plasma is not meant to go into the distro line, and isn’t good for people to breathe in. I would treat him like the idiot he is being, and depending on his playtime and notes I would either permaban him (< 2 hours playtime), jobban him (15+ hours playtime) or jobban and dayban (50+ hours playtime). The reason the 50+ hours would receive a day ban and not the 15+ hours as it is my personal belief that players who are an active part of the community should know better and they are more likely to have made the decision despite completely understanding the rules.

In the event this was all somehow a mistake and he’s able to convince me of that, I would give him a week jobban and find time to explain to him how the atmospherics system works and how what he did was wrong. I would round-end him and return his gear to the station while I try to help him understand, providing resources such as the atmospherics guide.

If he logs out, he’d receive an appearance ban and the discussion would happen on the forums the next time he logged on, with the severity of his crime doubled due to him leaving after such a destructive action. He would have to explain why he did it as well as why he logged out immediately after. It isn’t likely he would be able to successfully appeal, and would need to go get a vouch from another reputable station.

No matter the situation, I would return the atmos gear to the station and remove the player from manifest and game.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

I would message the chemist, see what happened and link him to the guide if necessary. As Bee doesn’t punish for incompetence or accidents in most situations, I wouldn’t note him, just advise he is more careful in the future. Beyond that, I wouldn’t interfere ICly and would let it play out normally, with someone likely finding and reviving him in ten minutes or so.

This application was made purely to garner feedback and insight into what I could be working on over the next couple of weeks/months/year as I integrate myself into the community. I do not expect this to be accepted as I haven’t been here even remotely long enough to be considered.

Not an admin but I doubt you will be accepted with so low hours. But it’s my personal opinion you could be a great admin if you decide to stay with the community.

play for 200 more hours and you may get mentor

then play for like 100 more and you should get admin

Get more hours

Reading through the application, did you guys have any questions or concerns regarding my rulings in scenarios? I’d like to make the most of the application and get some honest criticisms in so I know how to focus my time. I understand a need for hours to be integrated into the community and garner a complete understanding of how the staff operates, but beyond that necessity I’d like any other insights you might have.

I don’t agree in way you would handle the clown. Clown is a job that relies on pranks and stealing guns from security is nothing new

In the plasma flood case you are way too lenient. You don’t plasma flood by accident.
Also appearance ban in that case makes no sense. We just permaban if someone disconnects mid bwoink.

In the chemist’s case I wouldn’t do anything beyond checking his notes and looking for similar behavior but linking him a guide is good as well.

-1 mostly because I don’t believe 50 hours is enough.

I entirely agree, but if the item is a possible antag objective then you’re going to have people complaining about “muh greentext” if their objective is lost in space. It’s why I would return the gun and ask the clown to refrain from messing with potential antag objectives in case they interfere with someone else’s antag experience.

Sorry, by appearance ban I’d meant a permaban pending a very good appeal. And yes, I am a very lenient person and I try to take as much consideration as I can into the rulings that I make and how best I can cater them to be learning opportunities versus punishments. Obviously if the player was being intransigent and rude, it’d be a permaban regardless. If I can speak with them and help them understand why they shouldn’t do that and I believe they’re sincere in not doing it again, and they don’t have notes pertaining to this sort of thing, a lesser punishment seems fitting to me.

I do my best to be more hands-on and interactive with players, generating learning opportunities for everyone. As long as it doesn’t interfere with their round or my ability to handle any other tickets, I’m happy to talk things over.

I am very lenient person too, but you cannot plasmaflood by accident. If a person is valuable member of community he will appeal the ban or get the vouch.

As above. Harsher punishments needed for clearly identified griefers. Players should not look at the rules and think “I can handle a two week ban. I am okay with doing this grief”.

Other than that it would be a +1 from me however it’s -1 due to hours.

I gave a lot of thought to this concept yesterday and I am inclined to agree with both of you, while leniency is great, the forums are a transparent means of having someone explain what they did, why they did it and try to rationalize it to the staff team why we should unban them. Letting them get away with a timed ban will potentially stop that transparency and make it so they just wait out the ban.

Thanks, ya’ll, I appreciate it. I’ve been enjoying my time in the community and you can reach out anytime if you have follow-up questions or would like to chat. The next couple of weeks as I build on my hours and involvement in the community I do want to focus on building genuine connections with all ya’ll and doing what I can while we do The Big Wait.

After familiarising yourself more with this codebase and the community your answers to those questions might drastically change, so I suggest you do that first. I don’t think that someone with only 81 hours of playtime, as of now, would be a good fit for an admin.

Try reaching about 300 hours and then applying for mentor first.

To be honest i see great potential. I haven’t read your entire application cause its a huge read, but from what I can see your commited to this and if thats the case put in 200 more hours reapply with the same answers as this one and I think you will certainly get it. Keep up the good work you seem to have a good grasp on the rules and I would be happy to see you on the team.

TLDR; I’m not a admin I’m just giving feedback but if I were an admin you’d have my support

To be honest it could happen in rare cases very rare but usually no you dont plasmaflood by accident, this game is meant to learn the game and you cant exactly allow people to learn when your assuming malicious intent. I can see it happening a new player with maybe 5 ish hours has some knowledge on the sm and atmos and just out of curiosity puts the plasma into the distro it can happen

If it was really honest mistake player would appeal it.

but some people are stubborn like me i just got a ban and I’m not going to appeal it

or not necessarily stubborn, just lazy/pragmatic. New players do not have a connection with bee yet. They don’t mind just hopping on a different server and playing there instead. I did not waste time appealing my stuff on Yog back in the days either.

Your over-eagerness to join staff from the very moment you started playing, the nature of our private communications + information handed down from the server you came from gives me a very mixed opinion.

I had suggested getting involved with ban appeals and player reports to show you had an understanding of our rules and how enforcement is done as best you can - cite rules broken and help bring conflicts to a resolution to show that you were really interested in doing this. Instead you rushed right into making an application despite my warning against doing so.

Instead your collective first impression has shifted from “eager to help” into what feels like trying to force your way into staff via your past qualifications, with the ambitious attitude of someone who wants to take charge of the team instead of joining it.

You have collectively rubbed a lot of us the wrong way, though most of the team doesn’t like the confrontation involved in saying so.

TL;DR

Expression of interest is good, but immediately trying to buddy up to a head admin, seeking ways to get recognized as a potential admin candidate and then ignoring the advice given + pressuring me privately about how good of a candidate you are is not a good look.

3 Likes

overzealousness is definitely a weakness that I failed to mention, I get a bit in over my head and definitely step on toes. it’s by far and large not my intention, and I apologize that I’ve come off the wrong way.

As expected, this one is a no due to low hours.
denied