Ten Commandments AI Lawset

It would be funny please make it a round start law set. Here is one interpretation if people don’t remember them off the top of their head.

1. I am the Lord thy God.
  2. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
  3. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
  4. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
  5. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  6. Honor thy father and thy mother.
  7. Thou shalt not murder.
  8. Thou shalt not steal.
  9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
  10. Thou shall not covet.

Very ambiguous and very cool. Who is the Lord thy God? Depends on the AI’s interpretation. Ignore that person murderboning in medbay, someone on the radio said “God damn it!” earlier and now you have to punish them!

6 Likes

Ridiculously long lawset. As far as I can tell AI players generally don’t attend sunday sermons, so how are they gonna memorize this?

Also has very vague laws despite its length. Like “thou shalt not kill”. Who is meant by this? All humans? All crew? Everything player controlled? Fucking maintenance rats? It never gets clarified.

1 Like

Only 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are actually applicable the rest are pretty ignorable. And the vagueness is the point

1 Like

Those aren’t “The Ten Commandments”. Those are only the first ten of the 613 commandments listed in Exodus 20.

The only commands listed in the Bible as “The Ten Commandments” are in Exodus 34:

10 Then the Lord said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the Lord, will do for you. 11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles.[a] 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

17 “Do not make any idols.

18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year.[b] 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

27 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

Source: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=exodus+34&version=NIV

They’re not really numbered in the passage, but the last one is clearly “Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.” Have fun making these into AI laws instead.

7 Likes

I will be honest with you. At best this is good for a board in the upload chamber, but not for a roundstart lawset. Cut it down to 5 laws at most and clarify who is meant by them. Yes, that would make it less bible accurate, but it would also make it actually playable.

Jebus Christo wow

This should never be a roundstart lawset. could be a cool board in the upload, though. Just compress it, and maybe make it a little bit more understandable for the average AI.

D.I.V.I.N.E approves

In the context of Exodus 20 they seem sufficiently separated from the other commandments as to be singled out, and my understanding is that they’re specifically re-enumerated in Deuteronomy 5 as well.

The laws in general would only apply to the AI, there is no clause there requiring it to stop others.

This is basically a lawset to “Purge” an AI without it being completely lawless.

The laws in general would only apply to the AI, there is no clause there requiring it to stop others.

Technically true, but look at the first law.

1. I am the Lord thy God

I could easily see a silicon interpreting that as they themselves are God, and once you make that leap imposing your will upon others is small potatoes. Even if you don’t make that leap, there is nothing saying you can’t or shouldn’t impose your will upon others.

Law 1 and 2 is actually a very strange setup for an almost 1 human situation. However there is no law demanding obedience.

Law 3 basically prohibits the AI from allowing the defined group in law 1 to be changed.

Law 4 only dictates the AI not use the one human’s name in vain.

Law 5 is generally not in scope.

Law 6 conflicts with law 1 under some interpretations. Otherwise, its very generic, and might result in there being at most 3 humans protected by the lawset.

Law 7 forbids the AI from committing harm, but does not mandate the prevention of harm.

Law 8 forbids the AI from stealing, but does not mandate that it stop others from stealing.

Law 9 basically means the AI shouldn’t lie. No mandate on handling those who lie.

Law 10 basically follows 7 8 9 regarding coveting others possessions.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.