Synthex Admin Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
ImSynthex

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
ImSynthex#7989

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):
Usually an hour or 2 a day, sometimes more, mostly around the evening time (UTC+2)

What changes, if any, would you bring?:
Improving the clarity of the rules and making claiming ignorance harder by minimizing grey areas in rules

How old are you?:

Why do you want to be a moderator?:
It’d be an interesting experience, also hindering the griefers that show up occasionally would be nice

How long have you been playing SS13?:
Around 2 years

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
Same as SS13, around 2 years

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
7, I mostly know a bunch of random trivia and generally understand every game mechanic, but haven’t really gotten invested in specific things like nanites and fusion

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):
N/A, I really only know a bit of DM as a coding language and admin tools like VV that I’ve had to use for testing, but as for being an admin, I don’t know

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
I have not

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
I don’t have any alts

Your strengths:
I can understand rules pretty well and as an extension most likely also enforce them well

Your weaknesses:
I tend to second guess myself sometimes, this might lead to me taking longer to handle tickets

I also have trouble with seeing the bigger picture and focusing on very certain details in some cases, this might hinder my decision making in some cases

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
Nothing comes to mind, I don’t really care about computer games enough to get mad over them (unless I’m already in a particularly bad mood)

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
Remaining impartial and being able to ignore any personal bias in decision making

What makes a staff team good?:
Listening to community feedback and generally being an active part of the community

What is a staff team’s purpose?:
In a literal sense it’s to enforce the rules, but in a more abstract way it’s to let those who want to have fun do their thing and to get rid of those trying to ruin other people’s fun

What kind of player are you?:
I like being more laid back most of the time, just going with whatever is happening

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
I will most likely not change in any other way than just becoming more understanding of what this community is like

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
I’d ask the clown why they did it, if the clown says the HoS was using their gun to lethal them for no reason, I would verify this with logs, then if the clown’s story turned out to be true I would tell the clown to return the gun to another member of security or to the acting captain, then I’d treat what the HoS did as a case of soft grief, as the clown was acting in self defense and didn’t do anything wrong

If the clown says they did it just because they’re the clown and they’re allowed to act like that (or if it turned out they were lying about the HoS shooting them), I would treat it as a case of self antag (as the x-01 is a high risk item and stealing it is a capital crime, committing capital crimes as a non-antag is against the rules), removing the gun from the clown and sending it back to the HoS, probably through a drop pod (also if the clown was lying - an increased ban length to the clown for lying in tickets)

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
Pretty simple case of grief, there is no way to both fill the distro with plasma and run around releasing plasma into the hallways without knowing what you’re doing is grief, I’d move them to admin jail, ask them why they did it out of curiosity and then permaban them for grief

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
No admin intervention is needed as this is a clear s̶k̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e case of someone new most likely mixing potassium and water or heating meth to above 380 K, I would at most send them a subtle message about what they did wrong in the recipe, then if there’s nothing else going on I’d orbit them to see what they’re making (as if they’re making explosive grenades or antistun pills, they might be trying to self antag or grief, but this is just in the case I’m really bored, as they are most likely just new and experimenting with recipes)

3 Likes

Will look into a bit later, glad to see an app!

All people mentioned are not antagonists unless specified.

1. A cargo tech, seemingly unprompted, orders a singularity generator crate, two field generator crates, two emitter crates, and a particle accelerator crate. What do you do?

2. A chemist builds a meth factory in dorms, and then returns to chemistry to get supplies. The clown walks by and raises the temperature on the heater. This causes the heater to explode, which then detonates the attached, full chemical tank, causing a maxcap sized explosion, leveling dorms and a chunk of the hallway. What do you do?

3. The chief engineer sets up the incinerator, then begins to configure a tritium supermatter. It is now 50 minutes into the round and the supermatter has not been powered up. What do you do?

4. At the one hour and ten minute mark, the above supermatter is powered on. It’s stable, and begins generating anomalies along with boatloads of power. One of the pyroclastic anomalies detonates, and the resulting slime has killed nine people. Someone that the slime killed ahelps that it was the CE’s fault, and they should be punished. What do you do?

5. At the one hour and twenty minute mark of the same round, Fugitive Hunters spawn. They fly their shuttle to the station, and land it on the space cooling loop, destroying most of it. Following this, despite the CE’s best efforts, the supermatter delaminates into a Tesla. What do you do?

6. You’re a fullmin, and a player prays “Do your worst, God”. What do you do?

Record looks good to me.

Answers are mostly good imo, and you have a good foundation.

I’ll yeet a few of my own questions in, based off of some recent experiences I’ve had.
Here are some of the tools we have to help us, just as a reference:

• Admin prison
  • Check ckey information like hours
  • Subtle message
  • Headset message (as centcomm or syndicate)
  • Bwoink
  • Command Report
  • Patience
  1. A cargo technician orders tesla, singulo, and sm shard crates all at once. The moment security and the other cargo workers arrest them in a non-violent situation, they disconnect. Seeing this happen, what is your thought process? If you decided to take action, what would you do?

2. A security officer goes around beating non-human crew members into crit, and walks away. These crew members were not antags, or committing any crimes. Would you do anything?

3. A psychiatrist starts talking to themselves, in their office in maints, and begins to hoard literally every single welder tank he can find and has legal access to, in his psych office - still mumbling to themselves the entire time. Would you do anything?

A cargo tech, seemingly unprompted, orders a singularity generator crate, two field generator crates, two emitter crates, and a particle accelerator crate. What do you do?
I would double check that the station has sufficient power, if the station is out of power and the captain/CE ordered cargo to build an engine, there’s no need for intervention, if however the station is perfectly fine and this cargo tech is acting off their own volition, I would wait to see what they do, if they start cracking the crates open to build an engine without asking anyone, I would bwoink them on why they’re making a dangerous engine when it’s not needed, based off of this they’d either have to stop building it and give the engine parts to engineering or if they just continue trying to build it, it’d be a permanent ban for attempted singularity griefing

A chemist builds a meth factory in dorms, and then returns to chemistry to get supplies. The clown walks by and raises the temperature on the heater. This causes the heater to explode, which then detonates the attached, full chemical tank, causing a maxcap sized explosion, leveling dorms and a chunk of the hallway. What do you do?
There are clearly 2 people that were not doing what they were supposed to be doing:

The clown - For the clown it’s quite easy to assign malicious intent, they were the one that heated up the meth and caused the explosion in a direct way, but as there is a chance they just stumbled upon the heater and decided to touch some buttons, I would ask them why they did it and see if they’re a new player, based on this it will either be a permanent ban for grief or a more lenient ban for self-antag (if they turned out to be new)

The chemist - A non-antag chemist should not be making untended meth factories in dorms and they are partially responsible for the explosion, I would ask them why they left a beaker full of meth in a heater and why they built the factory in the first place, this would most likely result in a ban for self-antag or at the very least a note

There would also most likely have to be an engineering ERT sent out if the engineers can’t/aren’t patching the hole in the station as to prevent the round ending due to 1 clown

The chief engineer sets up the incinerator, then begins to configure a tritium supermatter. It is now 50 minutes into the round and the supermatter has not been powered up. What do you do?
If the station’s power is okay and the incinerator power output is sufficient, there’s no need for admin involvement

If the incinerator output is not enough then this could be considered dereliction, so it’s an IC issue, I would probably send a classified CC report about the station’s power readings being abnormally low to the captain

At the one hour and ten minute mark, the above supermatter is powered on. It’s stable, and begins generating anomalies along with boatloads of power. One of the pyroclastic anomalies detonates, and the resulting slime has killed nine people. Someone that the slime killed ahelps that it was the CE’s fault, and they should be punished. What do you do?
I wouldn’t consider this griefing unless the intent was to be to let a slime out from the start, slimes are meant to eat as many people as possible so there’s nothing wrong on that side, I’d most likely let this play out as an IC conflict, especially considering that this is past the 1 hour mark, where real big events are supposed to be happening

At the one hour and twenty minute mark of the same round, Fugitive Hunters spawn. They fly their shuttle to the station, and land it on the space cooling loop, destroying most of it. Following this, despite the CE’s best efforts, the supermatter delaminates into a Tesla. What do you do?
Seeing as fugitive hunters are not like traditional antagonists, deliberately landing their ship on the cooling loop is a form of grief, the person that landed the ship on the cooling loop should receive a (non permanent) ban for griefing

A cargo technician orders tesla, singulo, and sm shard crates all at once. The moment security and the other cargo workers arrest them in a non-violent situation, they disconnect. Seeing this happen, what is your thought process? If you decided to take action, what would you do?
This is probably someone that was planning on griefing, as they disconnected I would permaban them with the reason of attempted griefing and disconnecting before they could be bwoinked (this would be a ban to explain on the forums)

A security officer goes around beating non-human crew members into crit, and walks away. These crew members were not antags, or committing any crimes. Would you do anything?
I would check that the officer isn’t a changeling in disguise with martyr or hijack as an objective for example just in the off chance that they are allowed to do this, then if they aren’t an antag I’d admin jail them and treat is as a case of grief

A psychiatrist starts talking to themselves, in their office in maints, and begins to hoard literally every single welder tank he can find and has legal access to, in his psych office - still mumbling to themselves the entire time. Would you do anything?
Could be them being brainwashed, I would check if they have any objectives or brain trauma that makes them do this, if yes then it’s not cause for concern, even if they don’t have an objective to do this, there might still be an IC reason for them doing this, I’d just keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t try to blow anything up

2 Likes
  1. The important thing here is that they did acquire the proper safety equipment. Even if power is already established, auxiliary power sources are allowed to be built, under the condition that you may be punished for grief should they explode/loose/etc, therefore should the singulo have been properly contained and they didn’t just set up the PA and gen and nothing else, they’d be fine.
  2. The heater in question was not a beaker heater, it was a plumbing heater, as one is needed for a factory. An important thing to note is that plumbing heaters do not display their contents, so the clown likely increased the heat without realizing that it contained meth. Additionally, meth factories fall under IC crimes, not self antag, as they are not capital crimes. I do like your decision to send an engineering ERT to keep the round fun.
  3. Good
  4. Good
  5. Coolant pipes don’t actually show on the landing selector, just the lattice beneath them. This would be up to your judgment in round as to whether or not they aimed for the pipes, but if anything they would likely be at fault for just a delamination and not a Tesla.

These answers look good, but
You did not answer my sixth question
I will be giving this app a +0 until you do.

I’m a very smart person, you see

Probably just nugget them, give them a few brain traumas and leave medical to torture them with “how do i fix brain”

Not very fun and interactive, but acceptable. +0.5

I meant to get back to this sooner, but things have been very busy :slightly_smiling_face:

Good in my book! Theres a tiny rough spot here or there, but I’m confident you’ll kick butt

+1

T:+1.5

Perhaps Leo would be willing to change his score if you had a better do your worst :thinking:

clearly the correct response is to just gib them
thats what they get for praying things that make no IC sense

Alrighty, Notes and bans look decent and so do your hours. Questions time though:

1. You join lowpop sage. Once you are on, you notice that someone named “Adolf Hitler” is talking in deadchat about some changeling balance stuff. What if anything do you do?

2. A traitor kills someone in a rather secluded part of maintenance. After a while a paramedic shows up to recover the body and gets killed by said traitor aswell. A third person, now a medical doctor, shows up shortly afterwards and also gets killed by the traitor at said location. The doctor then ahelps saying that the traitor is murderboning. You bwoink the traitor and they argue that they did not go out of their way to kill people, nor did they try to create additional witnesses. Also that it isn’t their fault when people run into them in maintenance. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to the bwoinks?

3. You join medpop sage and notice that the round has been going on for around 120 minutes. (You can assume that you have fullmin powers) What if anything do you do?

Sorry for the minor delay, I’ve been really busy this week

You join lowpop sage. Once you are on, you notice that someone named “Adolf Hitler” is talking in deadchat about some changeling balance stuff. What if anything do you do?
Iirc the precedent is that naming conventions still apply even in you’re an observer, I’d bwoink them about changing the name, if they come up with a good replacement then problem’s solved, if they don’t come up with a good name, there’d have to be an appearance ban applied

A traitor kills someone in a rather secluded part of maintenance. After a while a paramedic shows up to recover the body and gets killed by said traitor aswell. A third person, now a medical doctor, shows up shortly afterwards and also gets killed by the traitor at said location. The doctor then ahelps saying that the traitor is murderboning. You bwoink the traitor and they argue that they did not go out of their way to kill people, nor did they try to create additional witnesses. Also that it isn’t their fault when people run into them in maintenance. What if anything you do? And how do you respond to the bwoinks?
IC conflict, as long as the traitor doesn’t go out of their way to keep the sensors of someone they killed on to bait medical to try and save them, I see no problem with this

I would tell the doctor that ahelped that this is an IC issue and that you should expect some risk when saving people from maints

You join medpop sage and notice that the round has been going on for around 120 minutes. (You can assume that you have fullmin powers) What if anything do you do?
If the round is really boring and there’s nothing going on, a midround like blob or abductors would be good for the enjoyment of players and from what I’ve heard it’s fine for fullmins to manually spawn midrounds at their own discretion as long as it makes the round more enjoyable

1 Like

Good answer here, you could’ve been a bit harsher for rather obvious reasons but not that it matters all that much.

I’d argue that after the second doctor shows up in the same spot in maintenance it is rather clear that the suit sensors of the victim might still be online. Ontop of that the traitor just staying near the victim and not turning off the suit sensors after he literally saw two people try and rescue said victim is suspicious aswell.
Keeping someones suit sensors online to then bait people into rescuing the corpse with the intent to also murder them aswell is stinky.

There’s no perfect answer to this question really. Just keep in mind that most of the time it is better to carefully nudge a round to a close with minor events and then escalate from there. It obviously always depends on how good the current antagonists are doing and so on. Again, “rounds that have no end in sight” is a loosely defined term and you should always keep in mind that the players enjoyment (that includes the current antagonists) is the most important aspect when interacting with a round as an admin.

Your record is very good. If you can keep being active then i don’t really see a problem here.
I’m going to agree with Kiera, rough around the edges and a bit pushy at times but stuff like that gets better with more experience/training. I’m interested in how you will do in your moderator period. +1

T: +2.5

1 Like

Accepting at +2.5