Starting at Cent Comm

I like the idea of starting a round at CC. Everyone would start in their respective lil’ chill room and eventually board the shuttle together after all of the Heads of Staff has talked a lil’ bit. Heads would be informed of the station objective then and there and the station would also be named then. Anyone who is SSD would hop onto the shuttle once it comes back after a minute or two.

8 Likes

Perfect for late joiners

2 Likes

Great idea, except.

heres an improvement.

End of round grief applies :sunglasses:

2 Likes

CC aint really a place that is fully developed to have people spawn in it and expecting them to not go sicko mode on the loot there is asking much, best, I consider that if we had an out of a way small station, like a bus station where late joiners spawn, there is not much there except seats, arcade cabinets, snack machine, conference rooms and shuttle docks to wait for the shuttle, you then see all the people push eachother trying to board the battle bus and get onto the station, if we cannot add this, make it an station event that triggers randomly, like the hangover or all lights are broken.

7 Likes

YES! I like this. Generally I like the idea of people trying to organize themselves in the shuttle when you don’t have any last minute objectives to complete or anything to stress about overall.

We have quite a few mappers now, so it wouldn’t be that much of a ask. I like the idea, it needs a little work, but if someone else did the other bits mapping it would be no issue!

3 Likes

It doesn’t need to be a fully functional station, just a few rooms for enough people to hang out in and do some small talk before boarding the shuttle. Perhaps have some restricted area for certain members.

I kind of like the idea of a forcefield to prevent people without the appropriate ID of entering behind someone. Just to make it a safe area for Command and such to plan ahead of time without some Clown entering. Because EEEEEVERYONE will want to enter the high restricted area like Command. Antag or not.

2 Likes

For this to work AT ALL, a couple things are going to have to happen:

• Antags do not recieve their status until they arrive on the station. We aren’t going to have ANY chance of cheese on the CC zlevel.
  • The arrivals shuttle does not return to CC without it being totally empty of any mob
  • You can’t build or otherwise manage to teleport to the arrivals shuttle
  • (A given): The entire CC level needs to be remapped. Most of the gamer loot will need to be locked behind unbreakable, or at least very very very strong doors.

With these in mind we won’t need to have any gimmicky 1-way force fields or whatnot

3 Likes

What would be the benefit to this though?

1 Like

Honestly yeah, i don’t see anything or a big gain from this other than well… it would be ‘‘cool to have’’ your character experience something different when they’re late for the job and you have a new place to walk around for a bit and chat

In Skyrat this work because… people use that centcom area(which i don’t think it’s even centcom) as an extra chatroom and when they feel like it they just board the ship and go to work, i feel like we want the RP interactions and chat to take place IN the station rather than having them be on that area for undetermined prolonged of time.

I do agree however than mappers could have some fun making a new Centcom with extra features for events, adminbus, stuff to do on long EORG when you don’t want ctf/fortnite, etc

1 Like

On other servers that have this feature, it’s a little area where people can dress up, cryo before entering the station, or run to during nukies or blob.

The evac shuttle also goes to a seperate part of CC, barred off from the “enterance”.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m familiar with it. Still don’t see the benefit tho.

Why not? Why is this a problem. Say there are one room for each department and one main lobby connected through one short hallway. Antags won’t be able to buy anything using their TC. Doing anything traitorous would be easy to notice for Security who could practically have AA there along with Command. There would be next to no way for antags to kill, steal or otherwise get a head start.

That’s an issue… Could it be a “ghost” arrival shuttle? So you have two of them. One which actually arrives to the station and one which travels from Cent Comm and anyone on board of the traveling Cent Comm shuttle would be teleported onto the station arrivals shuttle. Thus giving the illusion of only one shuttle. Alternatively just teleport people who fail to board the shuttle in time like normally.

Doesn’t need to be similar to the current CC level, though it also could be! And honestly it doesn’t need to be anything outside of the playable area. If you are really worried and wish to have a larger more open end of the game playable area you could do the same trick as with the shuttle. Having an identical CC level but the end of the game version is breakable or such, more likely some unbreakable doors are now open.

I kinda like the idea of ‘em for this very exclusive area. Only for Command to not be interrupted by a bored swarm of assistants, doctors and clowns. I’ve seen a group as large as 10 people tryin’ to get into Command. Where any antags? Probably. All 10? No. lol

It would be different, I find the theme and life of the characters interesting, so anything where I would get to see what happens before or after a shift makes me excited. Honestly I would like to see a CC courtroom in use by admins discussing and sentencing griefers for everyone to watch. xd

“YOU STAND ACCUSED OF OPENING PLASMA CANISTERS IN THE MAIN HALLWAY! What say you in your defence?”

“lol xd” disconnects

“Deletion of cloning data < player ID >”

This courtroom idea would be really cool but too much work. xd

Gameplay wise, it would offer a more safe area to talk and plan ahead with colleagues. “What do you play to work on today?”, “Oh, I plan on makin’ a really cool shop by Brig Maints! Please come by!”. It would be 100% stress free as the game hasn’t really started it. Quite often I see Heads of Staff be surprised by the lack of other Heads of Staff and won’t take Command because why would they? It is a lot of responsibility and they are already in their department they signed up for. Now they would instead see they are already the only Heads of Staff and begin plan ahead: “Alright, I am the CE and I am the only Head here, I’ve got to take Command but we got no other Engineers to set up the SM for power. I better start announcing immediately that we need to hire Engineers.”. I think this would take off the stress of people who want to work on great projects or overcome great challenges like solo Head of Staff.

Half the time I just wanna continue to work. I used to continue being a doctor after the round ended and keep reviving people. xd

The way I imagine it they would be there for a predetermined amount of time. Say roughly 5 minutes with an additional 3 minute dock time and 2 minute travel time for a total of 10 minutes extra of each game.

1 Like

Lowpop says hello

We’re not aiming to create just a chatbox. If we wanted than we’d have all antags and midround events disabled.

What would force them to leave?

Also, what would happen to all the station traits that modify the starting positions? Stuff like the ‘drunken party’ where people spawn in random locations with vomit and beer bottles or the ‘everyone is late to the shift and spawns on the arrivals shuttle’

Lowpop should be deleted. But yeah, that is an issue… Perhaps make this require a player amount? Like a minimum of 15 players. Could not give people antag status during the introduction unless there are X amount of players.

It’s not just a chat box but a slow start. You don’t just go from sitting in the menu to start settin’ up the SM. It would be for planning and getting familiar with who you will be working with and with what constraints. You’d actually get to see everyone! I’ve had plenty of people spawn in Chemistry with me and then VANISH for the rest of the round… Sometimes I don’t even see 'em once…

And I don’t think antags should be disabled during this time as it could allow you to think about what to do, contact fellow antags through notes sharing or whispering. And then plan ahead for what to do, maybe even ask what your targets will be up to without it seeming…

Automatic bluespace capsules?

The spawning on the arrivals shuttle would be… this pretty much. Could be remade to be an EARLY arrival! So you skip the lil’ introduction session. Drunken Party could… again it could perhaps stay as a rare event. Skippin’ the introduction and throwin’ you in there. Although this is a change which would affect the predictability of the gameplay and could be a bit annoying to some.

The average workday has ~8 hours of lowpop, with player numbers ranging from 8 to 20

Or just not give people antag status at all untill they arrive on station.

I think that somewhat defeats the purpose of codewords.

I’m still not seeing the benefit to be honest. There’s literally nothing stopping you from talking to your coworkers when the round starts.

I know… I used to (and partly still do) play a lot during those lowpop hours. I’ve even been solo on Sage once. Perhaps CC could have some anti harming machine? Perhaps people could have a certain amount of Pax in their bodies, enough for it to run out by the time they arrive to the station? This would also allow the cleaver who would like an advantage to find charcoal SOMEHOW and get it out of their system to gain a slightly advantage. With Command and Sec not havin’ it in 'em at all.

When it comes to planning I meant. So of course you can use codewords to identify each other, but sharing plans in public is an easy way to get guards to eye on you.

I have things to do then. If I am an RD and I have most of my department in one or two rooms it is easy to find them, easy to communicate with them and easy to set their expectations of who I am as their Head. Perhaps there is a newbie in the mix too. How would I deal with them? Could I assign a Scientist to teach 'em? Should I do it myself? Is there enough staff? I had an RD game today where I had a newbie Roboticist, a newbie Nanites Scientist and a newbie Scientist. And all while there was just me (the RD) and the Captain as Command with zero Sec. Our Captain did not think of promoting acting Heads and I didn’t have time to think about anything outside my department as I had to teach two people parts of Science whilst also assisting other departments such as mining with upgrades, mining mech and general research. It was stressful as fuck.

Really don’t see the need to jump through all these hoops to create a 3 minute glorified chatbox before the actual round starts.

I think the idea its like those events where you just spawn on station piss drunk, or arrive late, everyone on the shuttle.

Could be a interesting thing to see from time to time.

The “pre” shift

2 Likes