Spiders feedback thread

How do you feel about spiders as a midround overall?
  • I think they’re in a good spot
  • I think they’re too weak
  • I think they’re too strong
  • I think they’re bad for other reasons

0 voters

Spiders are supposed to be a team antagonist that relies on coordination and working together rather than introducing a half-dozen individually threatening antagonists that can mostly just do their own thing. They are supposed to be weaker than Xenos, but still strong as long as they play strategically and work together. I’ve only known of one “successful” spider round so far, but I was never aiming for a neutral or positive win-rate when balancing them, just looking to make something that’s engaging for both sides of the fight, in more ways than direct combat.

So far the biggest hurdles I’ve seen is that most players taking spiders don’t really know exactly what they are signing up for, or what their specific role to the team is without being told… and likewise station crew hasn’t yet adapted to reacting to a venom-oriented antagonist. I made a guide to help with this, but the knowledge gain will be a pretty slow trickle even with it.

So what are your thoughts on spiders as a midround?

Spiders as mid round seem good! Ai spiders on explo seem a little strong i think.

I think other spiders should be able to communicate with their mother.

1 Like

Yeah i think the lack of comms between them was a slight issue, of course you got the mother giving commands to everyone but for the most part a lot of spiders had to retreat, abandoning other fellow spiders to transmit X or Y message

while spider chasing as SEC can be a little bit madning since some crew will attempt to side with the spiders, which from an RP perspective is ok with me. I like it as it adds a challenge and something urgent to SEC’s life that isn’t just “stand around waiting for tots to act up as valids, to then whack valid tot”

It’s also a good way to have something LIKE xenos where in the Spoders are incentivized to screw with the crew to get humanz for MOAR SPODERS and have a means of asset denial in cacoons, but it’s not the super annoying face-huggers.

Personally I hate xenos BECAUSE of face huggers and the general lethality of even just a drone, where as spiders CAN be similarly dangerous but aren’t tackle spam then face hugger, which is basically just detaining you while often putting you on a timer until DEATH and +Xenos

Additionally, I may add a small amount of spider paranoia to Kalavi, what with him being a space moth and all.

Maybe all spiders can communicate with the one that laid their egg, nurses can communicate with all their spawn, and Broodmothers can communicate with all other spiders?

Nurses can’t lay eggs anymore.

Give the guide I linked above a look, there’s a TL;DR for just what changed

The main hurdle of spiders is that I think they cannot coordinate effectively. perhaps give regular spiders a (limited?) ability to also announce things? brood-mother will always be able to announce in both loud mode and with no cool down. but regular spiders should have a cool down announce ability too I think.
That or a hivemind chat like xenos.

1 Like

I agree.

As many others I do believe they are a wonderful addition as an antag to spice the round.

But what truly hinders them all, both in action-oriented gameplay(minor flaw for me) and in peace-oriented gameplay(that’s a MAJOR flaw for me) is the lack of communication.

I would actually just give spiders the ability to communicate freely through a cult chat of sort, with the only difference of the brood mother having the loud mode on. If I can ask for a luxury, I would love to see the different spiders use different colors in radio chat too and between their type instead of the department.

Because spiders rely inherently on guerrilla tactics, their ability to communicate and exchange information is vital. Especially for people more action-oriented that myself. If one spider see the captain, alone, roaming mainteinance, he should be able to call for help and punish such foolishness.

If aggression is chosen as their rp for that shift, naturally!

At the same time for players like me, having the possibility of coordinating a peace and collaboration treaty amongst all of the specie would be an invaluable addition too.

In short, gameplay both action-oriented and peace-oriented would be exalted by the addition of the ability to freely communicate between each other!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.