Something I have noticed

I am fairly new to SS13 and BeeStation is the first (currently only) server I play on.
So far I am loving it. I see the pros and cons, but then again I have been watching my husband play since just before golden ended and now I am playing.

I digress, lately, I read the Wiki and forums regularly since starting, but one that I have not noticed was the negligence in handling AFK players in “key” roles. I am not talking about pivotal roles like Captain, AI, HOS, etc. I mean roles like Cook, Botantist, Bartender, and Chemist roles. Some of these may not seem pivotal (at least from what I have read) but shouldn’t there be some sort of AFK timer that if a player is inactive (movement, speech, actions, etc.) for an X period of time, their role should be opened up for someone else to join?
Such as with the pods; you can enter a pod and if you disconnect or close the browser, your role is opened up. It’s the “respectable” way to exit a game if you have to without blocking the round from progressing/other players from joining if there is a queue.

I have noticed a few rounds where a cook or bartender goes AFK for half or all of the round and just sits there. For someone who is wanting to play these roles, it is annoying to see someone wasting it and it is also concerning when the crew needs food to survive. The more nutritious food is, the less likely hunger is to happen over time so vending machine food will not cut it in the long term.

Tell me if I am crazy but I have noticed a diminishing value in some rounds because of AFK players as soon as the round starts.

7 Likes

I think theres something in the wiki about if a pkayer has been afk (SSD) for long enough its acceptable to take them and put them in a cryo pod if that helps at all

3 Likes

Sounds like a cool idea! you should open an issue on github with some indications, maybe someone could code it!

(though there are 250 issues total, so it might take a while before anyone picks this idea up! but don’t be discouraged)

4 Likes

As acronad said, you can put ssd players into the pods

Possible Other Uses

And you can troll playing admin this way, cause when they aghost to sort the tickets/adminhelps, you can put their body in the pods, and with enough time their body will despawn, dont know if this has been fixed or not.

1 Like

I did this with Bacon once.

3 Likes

It has not. Aghosting reports a body with no chance of recovery just like normal ghosting.

Not sure if that’s really something to fix or if intended though.

1 Like

Really? I saw Milly go SSD very often during a round… but never catatonic

1 Like

yeah, this is reportable behavior, so please report them for it

1 Like

Yes, please do. They are probably engaging in something called “antag rolling” where they didn’t get antag so they AFK’d. It’s harder for admins to pick out if they didn’t cryo immediately and just decided to AFK to avoid being banned.

5 Likes

There are several IC ways to handle this issue (and job slots in general), from taking catatonic crew to cryo to the HoP increase job slots from their console.

I would recommend getting with whoever is playing HoP and reporting the catatonic crew to them, they’ll most likely instruct you to move them to cryogenic-storage (which automatically re-opens their job slot), but they might also prioritize the job for late-joins or increase the slots to compensate. It all kind of depends on the ongoing needs of the station.

2 Likes

This implies hop does more than access for 5 minutes then fuck off for the rest of the round, all round, any round. It needs to be in the SOP to open job slots as needed, so people will actually do it or get banned. “Do your job” is not strong enough, and apparently direct orders from Cap aren’t either.

It sucks to join and see the only jobs are sec and atmos tech (and maybe para or mime at best) every round.

1 Like

How the hell are you wrong on a thing like this? It shows the message like they’re dc’d, not ghosted.

2 Likes

Exactly, it’s not true at all

1 Like

It was changed some time ago and it’s possible that aghosting making admeme catatonic was still a thing when Ruko was an admin, and changed afterwards.

For example, I remember my fellow chef turning me into burgers while I was away dealing with tickets because aghosting made you look like catatonic.

3 Likes

I regret not appending my response with “unless something has changed” like I normally do. It’s almost like I haven’t been an admin in almost a year by this point.

:expressionless:

6 Likes

Report them. Suiciding and disconnecting/going AFK without cryoing breaks rule 15.
Wild, dangerous conspiracy theory: Ban evaders do this to farm playtime. Don’t feel bad about getting somebody bwoinked.

1 Like

Or perhaps people have things they need to drop and do sometimes…? This is a game. It shouldn’t be THAT high on the priority scale.

2 Likes

If they’re completely disconnected this makes sense, but when someone runs to a locker at roundstart and is still logged in to avoid the roundstart disconnection alert it’s kinda sus.

Even if it’s not a case of a ban evader farming hours, it’s keeping someone who actually wants to play from doing so because of population limit.

A bwoink on this for first offense is never gonna do anything, but reporting it so admins can make a note and document repeat behavior is good, and if it’s repeating behavior it should be stopped because even in the best case scenario it’s still selfish to try and “reserve” a slot when you’re missing half the round.

2 Likes

Admins can tell the difference.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.