"Small/Simple Questions" Pinned Thread in General

dear god someone call an exorsist… this theme is haunted

4 Likes

How ironclad is the stuff about tools and such in rule 2?

I find that as an assistant for example I often grab tools and I end up using them to build something or hack doors or whatever 80ish% of the time. As heads and sec I’ll often buy a crowbar so I’m not screwed by a door when I need to be somewhere that very second. Is that power gaming?

Usually not acceptable as non antag, assistants are not greytiders here. Breaking into areas is violating Space Law and doing it a bunch without good roleplay reasons is a great way to get a ban.

That is absolutely powergaming. As a regular employee on a regular shift, you should have no expectations of a door losing power.

The game is meant to be roleplayed, not played as if you (the player) were playing it. Your character has no concept of the fact that power might go out in a pinch - things are expected to go as regularly as possible.

SS13 roleplay servers are story generators, not a game to be played by you, the player.

I would suggest reading this: How to Roleplay - BeeStation Wiki

1 Like

I regret to inform you that door power outages are more common than you think, and it’s perfectly reasonable for someone to consider it an uncommon but not rare occurance. It’s not like the mouse infestation in maintenance is unusual, it’s been there for a while.

1 Like

From a roleplay perspective why would you anticipate needing to get through a door that is depowered urgently enough to need a crowbar on hand at all times

You don’t really, and I never outright disagreed. But it’s totally inaccurate to say that a depowered door should never be expected.

1 Like

How can I get a sentient creature to ride a skateboard?

dragclick the creature onto the skateboard iirc

I mostly just do it to get the suitskirts you can only get from the lawdrobe if there’s no lawyer to ask. I’m not exactly breaking into engineering and stealing 5 insuls and a constructor. I think traitors tend to just emag in my experience, unless they’re blood brothers.

The guide, which I’ve read, seems more tailored to improv, situational comedy, and basic conversational skills than what is or isn’t powergaming, I’m not sure what you mean by linking it.

If you are roleplaying as a character, the rules of what is or is not powergaming are irrelevant. Powergaming is a form of LRP. Powergaming is choosing to acquire or do something because you, the player, decide it would serve your own motives (“winning”, not wanting to be inconvenienced) vs your character, who realistically may not have a reason to be prepared for the situation you anticipate.

1 Like

Some questions I always wondered about SS13

1. What fucking year is it?
  2. Are the “humans” we play as Earthlings? If so, is NT an Earth-Based corporation, or were they born on another world with humans, perhaps settled by humans placing us in the DISTANT future?
  3. Does Bluespace tech have any drawbacks besides directly fucking with the source? I know nuclear power has extreme side effects, but BS seems perfect in every way.
  4. Is NT a “planetary level” corporation? Having potentially entire worlds at their disposal?
  5. What the hell does WaffleCo even DO to “compete” with NT enough to send spies and murderers to fuck them up entirely seeming arbitrarily?

can answer a few of these possibly.

1. usually up to players where their characters come from. I think it’s accepted enough that humans don’t have to come from earth anymore
  2. under the impressive that it’s just very rare, NT just happens to hold a monopoly over it. Just a head canon though
  3. NT is as rich as the mappers want it to be for any given new station. Got an ice planet station trying to be unfucked so presumably yes
  4. HONK!

According to TG lore which is the best we have :face_vomiting:

NT is from earth yes

Iirc NT has the power of an entire star nation and is literally the government in their territory so…

What does NT produce? Is it the bluespace tech that seemingly powers all of our Nanotrantech? Are they a vast mining empire that… somehow branched out into some late stage capitalism that now is almost indistinct from slavery? Are there entire worlds, dotted with posh offices of NT’s Officers or consultants, answering hyperspace emails in glades of alien colored streets?

According to common core

They mostly sell highly advanced research, like the stuff researched on SS13, also leasing out their military forces (fleets, infantry, etc), though they also produce and sell some of the things they research.

If you’re interested in much more it’d be easiest to just read TG lore.

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Common_Core:Common_Core

Well dammit, we’re not TG station, we’re BEE station, this is the BEE-lternate timeline!! There’s probaBEE a lot of differences in the historBEE BEEtween BEEoth servers

1 Like

Unfortunately in this bee-lternate timeline all the lore-writers went extinct in the [REDACTED] of [REDACTED]

Btw, I believe the cannon for glowstation is that the base was previously syndicate, where they were researching a stolen SM, but NT took it for themselves

1 Like

So I use the pride mirror and madded a capsule in space where the pride Mirror send me. Then I use it again to become a felinid again and I was send to the capsule. Third time I use it to change my gender. before using it, it asked me if I wanted to become a warlock before proceeding. I send me to a second location in spaces. I try using a fulton extraction pack to return, It said
But in the station I try it and there it gives me the option to use a become I place there bruh.
Also i was carrying a GPS. How can you find a GPS signal with a shuttle?