Should mechanical game short comings be punished by admins?

I read trough the admin report on bloons and would like to start a thread to have a conversation about this in general

Should obviously unintended bugs and unrealistic mechanics allowed to be used?

Things like using heater/freezer for a super power TEG, charging power cell to swap it with APC, fusion with atmos fans/weak windows, etc etc. There are many mechanics that are bugged (heat transfer via closed turfs like walls broke with fastmos) due to code changes or certain mechanics that never truly worked.

Should players be punished for using these mechanics? You could argue yes because they are abusing bugs but also no since these are in the game. If you argue the first admins should also be willing to aid if bugs do arrive that would be unrealistic(If you die to heat in a room thats spaced it can retain its heat meaning you cant cooldown and will burn to death regardless) should also be a helpable. It its a double standard to enforce it only 1 way.

SS13 is a special case where straining the mechanics of the game is really the point of it all. Pushing the game to its upper limits. There are many bugs and “unrealistic tricks” used to achieve these results and so its hard to deem which are and arent allowed in the grand scheme of things.

Should Mechanical game shortcomings be punishable by admins?
  • Yes - OOC
  • Yes - IC
  • Yes - Both
  • No

0 voters

< Admin edit to add the poll > /Ro5490

OOC, they shouldn’t be bankable.
IC, stuff like freezer/heater TEGs are incredibly low-effort and cheap and they should totally explode

3 Likes

the TEG is a shitty engine

I thought we already had a topic like this where we got told anything with a charge ought to explode if looked at incorrectly.

The sad downside of it is though that stuff like 2 tile SM also arent allowed in that case. And all curren fusion methods would be a no go for muh realism

I haven’t seen it myself, so forgive me if it is. But also in the broader stroke of things there are decent amount of mechanics that are unrealistic but kept in for either fun reasons or because work arounds would be too hard to implement

If it’s so overpowered and gamebreaking that it can’t feasibly be countered by someone with the sole intention of destroying it, then it should be destroyed through administrative means. Otherwise, you’re just trying to make up for bad code with bad adminbus.

1 Like

oh my god just play janitor and stop fucking with atmos you cringelords

1 Like

I’m usually indifferent on this issue but fusion is a terrible example because fusion is being generally done as it’s designed to

I only personally care if there’s a meta reason to care and it very clearly trashes the intent. Sm injectors 4 example

1 Like

No bans, but hey if the fusion somehow suddenly is replaced with a bunch of hypercooled water vapor and the windows break :man_shrugging:

im pretty sure it was always like this even before fastmos, atmos was just slow as hell

This is the same justification people use to grief.
“If it’s in the game why can’t I do if?”

complains about strawman arguments then uses them

Good point.

added poll bc am curious

I don’t like when abuse of game mechanics is punished by admin intervention unless it is an exploit that spoils the fun for other players.

TEG exploit ruins fun for engineers that want to make power properly. If there are no such engineers in the round, it’s fine.
Same with injector SM. Though it is a rather shameful display, it’s still better than having SM explode like a wet fart and then rely on the solars.

When those exploits are ruining someone’s fun sufficiently, then there should be only IC intervention with clear advance warning.
This way, knowing about those tricks and using them will be satisfying but will also carry a risk of complications that would require quick fixing.

1 Like

Pretty much how I feel about it.

As a side note though I do think that many of these quirks/exploits are also applied more to test it. Usualy when your the victim of a bug or smth admins (in my very minor experience with admin run ins) generally dont mess with it either unless its super blatant and game breaking

Many of these tricks arent really used against players, if they where then it would be a entirely different case all together

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.