Should a Wizard be hunted by the crew?

In the given example wasn’t the wizard already committed to murderboning?

Agreed 100% with everything you said so i wont elaborate more but you just missed posting THIS

3 Likes

this is a pretty poor take. Nukies and Blob aren’t just round ending threats. They are “everyone is going to die” threats. If they succeed, the entire station is destroyed, and no one gets off of it. The best case scenario, should they reach delta, is that you take a pod to lavaland, and become a theoretical future lavaland hermit. That is to say, you die after trying to survive lavaland, which is not really a great way to go either.

Xeno’s on the other hand are not like Nukies or Blob, and the crews reaction to them are often WHY xenos are allowed to do so well. Crew rushing in to fight xenos, only to get hardstunned, their gear removed, and then infected. During Xenos, every crew member is a potential future xeno. Arming everyone isn’t really the best method to deal with xenos, because flushing them out with fire is. Average crewmembers not being effectively drafted and deputized by security should NOT be running off to fight xenos, and should instead be wearing protective facewear, and fleeing from xenos when they attack. The shuttle still functions while xenos are alive, since its no longer a hostile environment delay, and while the xenos likely are going to attack the shuttle, escape pods are rarely touched by them.

Wizard is a lot like xenos, except every crew member the wizard captures, incapacitates, or kills, is not a potential additional hostile entity roaming the station (unless its turn to stone/staff of animation, although thats limited). Security will attempt to deal with the wizard, and may deputize some people. Average crew members should avoid an extremely dangerous wizard, or not attempt to fight the wizard should they be more passive towards normal crew members. The shuttle will likely be called, and the escape pods will still function. Wizards are not a hostile environment, and a wizard completing their mission doesn’t mean everyone on the station dies. Should the wizard be hijacking the shuttle, you should probably go to an escape pod. If you are stuck on the shuttle during the hijack for some reason, then I believe (and honestly don’t quote me on this) that you can attempt to stop the hijacking, since a shuttle hijacking is bad news for anyone who isn’t an agent of some sort. Personally, I would advise against trying to stop a wizard, because you will probably just die.

Basically, TLDR; If you want to fight the murderbone valid, join security.

Don’t go rolling chef and then be upset that you can’t stab the funny magic man. If security couldn’t handle them, you can’t handle them. If you think security is too understaffed to effective stop threats, so you want to go fight threats all the time despite not being security, then just play security. Yes, you will have rounds that arent epic wizard fights. Thats just how it goes. Pick your poison.

3 Likes

i think the only enjoyable wizard encounter i’ve ever had was when a wizard, who was transformed into a rat, crawled into cargo and stole my body. Then I fist fought myself after desperately trying to convince security that I was in fact not the real wizard. Good times

2 Likes

Realisticly if you get hired as a space librarian and some 4th dimensional Horrorterror or just a group of terrorists attack your station most loyalties would drop and people would scaddadle on any ship available, instead of protecting corporate interests to the end for minimum wage, Also if you heard some DnD cosplayer (wizard)is harassing the clown you will probably think it’s just some prank as surely the place your stationed isn’t a place of high strategic value and also has a viel weak enough to release a eldritch diety in end depends on how u view LORE as it not defined in it first time or recurring threats

I remember that round, the wizard got killed by a cargo tech with a chair and I had to talk to them about roleplaying and how to adjust.

Cant honestly be botherd to real this thread in detail
ill say a few things though

While we often dont actualy bwoink for it - cause wizards general do whatvere they want - this is stinky and does kinda vioate antag conduct - there ARE no friendly antagonists.

Wizards can generaly do whatever they want though, cause tis a fucking wizard.
Its one thing to not just murderbone - you can, but you definitely dont need to.
Speak to people, threaten them, do whatever. But wizards should be causing some form of chaos and doing whatever they please, and not unironicaly just siding with the station.
If i obeserve this happening, i will probabbly spawn another wizard and instruct them to kill the first wizard.

I’d encourage other admins to do the same if they’re feeling bussy, and for mods to give the wizards a nudge they should be causing chaos.
If one is on for onece…

as for the titular question - its not realy a simple issue.

Short answer - no, no they shouldnt.

Of fucking course you shouldnt chase the neigh-omnipotent lord of magic marauding around your station.
Crew generaly should shy away from danger. Self defense is a-okay (even though running might still be cooler), But chasing AFTER the threat is not something any non sec non head should do. Period.

However there is a good bit of culture on both the player and admin side of things to just let it happen same as with nukies or blobs - these antags pose such an immense threat to evryone that evrones fallen into a mentality of “ok yea thats diffrent though”
Does it make any roleplay sense? Fuck no.
But these antags are somewhat ballanced to take on the entire crew in skilled hands, easily.
So uh, yea. We gotta work on that i suppose but its understandable how this happens.

1 Like

i think that was a different wizard freaky friday cargo incident. Mine ended with the wizard being shot to death and dusting in my body with all my shit

Incorrect, Shard wizard exists. Paired with staff of change and its just game over for all of the crew, there’s practically zero counter once he picks off a random assistant and starts snowballing.

Wiz does it to itself. Being one of the last full murderbone passes and the single most op starting antag is just begging to be abused. Its not even lavaland escalation, Murderbone Hostile means the escalation policy is lopsided due to “non combat roles” being absurdly tacked on to the hostile tag.

Wiz has free reign to just kill on sight when the crew aren’t even allowed to gear up and band together after its already been made clear that the wiz is just here to kill everyone (as it has been made clear by this topic). If that isn’t an existential threat then idk what to say. Just hide in a locker and play something else while round ends.

Why not just make these the same? Heretic and wizard can arguably almost achieve the same evasion as a ninja

1 Like

Security and their guns might not work where a diethlyamine grenade would. The random BS nature of wizard abilities make this not at all an unlikely scenario.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.