• Nanites
  • Circuits
  • X e n o b i o l o g y
  • Care about research and discovery points
  • T o x i n s
  • Something else

0 voters

poor circuits getting no love at all.

People actually like xenobiology :pensive:.
Maybe this community really is a lost cause.

3 Likes

Compared to the rest of science, it’s good. Nanites is clicking buttons and disks and points and waiting. Toxins is… Confusing and explosion. Circuits is. R&D itself is boring as hell. Xenobio has gimmicks you can do at least.

1 Like

doing xeno is fun. people seem to correlate xenobiology with validhunting and powergaming(that does happen), but the most fun part about it is making shit for other people or pushing it to its limits in my experience (it’s also the only department that takes more than 5 minutes to do)

1 Like

I love the magic theme it has, though I guess it’s kind of funny you get actual magic from R&D. Also magicarps.

As I expected xenobio is 1st place

also at least xenobio unfunny tactics to “unga spawn mobs make mobs sentient life good” is somehow helpful as the first part of this lets you get free discovery points

1 Like

Also seems like circuits are fucking ruined lmaoo

I’d be more tolerant of xeno if it’s benefits were actually beneficial for other departments, rather making them completely irrelevant. A half decent xeno-biologist can produce infinite power, renewable healing, infinite food, infinite materials, an army of servants… all these things without ever leaving their lab. Some of this is good. I doubt many miners would complain about having less people yelling at the to get mats, but why would I ever go to the effort of making meds as a chemist or work on making a new engine as an engineer when some asocial twerp can just mass produce charged yellows or regenerative purples and make all my efforts moot? The only reason it isn’t a ritual to hang yourself thirty minutes into the round is because most xenobiologists is either too self-absorbed or too merciful to go to the effort of making us all obsolete.

The only thing that saves us from xenobiology is that it takes time. No risk, no skill, just time. At least miners and explorers run some risk of getting munched on by the wildlife before they access to all their guns and tools.

1 Like

explorers
risk

Can only agree if it’s a VIP mission, but it’s not wildlife anymore.

A competent xenobiologist can still do xeno really quickly as well, if you’re lucky you can get rainbow slimes just before ten minutes. It would be nice if there were downsides or something to the various extracts so they weren’t just free powers either.

1 Like

Never said it was high-risk. At least the things that might kill you aren’t behind a square metre of glass the whole time.

1 Like

I’d just put a cap on their output. As soon as a xenobiologist knows how to breed the first two slimes they get, you have infinite slime food. Remove the ability to replicate monkey cubes and xenobiology is no longer self-sustaining, but then we’d be entertaining the horrific possibility of cargo having a reason to exist.

I think a major issue is there really isn’t an easy way that who ever is doing xenobio can hand out cores. No public slime fridge. Additionally crew members have to go all the way out of their department and to the front desk of science and pray to every deity in existence that there is:

1. Somebody actually at the front desk

2. Somebody paying attention to chat and not just the research console

I know what cores are useful for the jobs i main, it’s just having the average science department staff being more crew-friendly when it comes to making those cores available. Maybe do what I’ve seen more and more geneticists do with making public genetic consoles and make a public fridge. Maybe if you have time/want to do the effort and make a console and slime grinder outside of xenobio, theoretically someone doing xeno bio really just needs those two consoles and doesn’t even need to be inside the xenobio room with all the cages.

The last criticism I would ever make of xenobiology is that it’s too inconvenient for the single person required to operate it. The more quickly they can create and distribute cores, the sooner I have to spend the rest of the shift moping around the bar because my entire department was made pointless by one man and his harem of JRPG monsters. If anything, xenobiology needs more obstacles. Like I said earlier, remove xeno’s ability to sustain itself with grey extracts. Make it so that they actually require resources outside of their means of production. It would actually mean that xenobiology requires the tiniest bit of resource management to sustain their mass production of job-be-gone powergamer trinkets.

Most of RnD needs a rework. I think nanites are ok - boring but they also don’t take up a lot of time. Aside from that, research is 0, toxins is stupidly complicated and I wish we had a better way to make bombs or get points, robotics is extremely monotonous and gets you in trouble more often than xenobiology if we’re being honest, and xenobio itself is a boring job with insane rewards. Circuits are something most people don’t even know exists, and getting into it is a chore. Old circuits had some fun stuff but it was removed because people abused it. Go figure. That just leaves the experimentor which shouldn’t even exist. Out of probably thousands of rounds by now, I’ve only seen it used ONCE by a clown to make food. Urgh.

On topic of xenobio - I don’t see people routinely abusing it, but that fact that it has instkaills, timestop, monster spam, golem spam and other cringe things is actively ruining its reputation even though it has a ton of other cool things. I’d support seeing it removed but I’d much rather a reworked version.

Or, far more likely, one without the spam and pvp shit so people can at least play the job without fearing for it, like how mining got its own pvp shit removed earlier.

Hehe toxins goes boom

1 Like

Circuits right now doesn’t have a lot of use other than being a universal translator or money scamming.

Toxins would be cooler if there was more to it than 1 big boom then… that’s really it if you aren’t non-antag