Ban Type:
Role? Research Director, Scientist, Roboticist
Ban Length:
Not Sure? Hopefully not long
Ban Date (MM/DD/YYYY):
2020-11-19 07:14
Round ID:
Ban Reason:

As nonantag scientist on MRP, purged the AI and gave it the laws “1. You are now Batman. 2. [Protectstation law]” which lead to the AI killing at least one person in upload. You have been warned/noted not to do this twice before now.

Appeal Reason:

I’m going to start with the Obvious point before moving to the more convincing ones because this is too good NOT to poke fun at:

1. SINCE WHEN DOES Na-NA Na-NA NANA BAT MAN !!! Go around murdering people???
    I would think that like 98% of Schoolchildren around the world both know who Batman is, and that he doesn’t kill people.
    Moving to my next (probably more convincing) point before I hear:
    "But Schnek, You’re a dirty Chauvinist, My name is TIK-TOK from the Rural Hill Folk of Papua New Guinnea, and I’ve heard of Space Station 13 (somehow) and play it on my 56K Satellite Internet Connection, but I have never heard of this “BAT-MAN-PERSON.”
    “Teacher tells me that Bat plus Man Equals…
    WORD CENSORED BY YOUTUBE—DID YOU MEAN TO TYPE ““TRYING TIMES””?
    …So therefore, BATMAN must be a Mass Murderer.”

Keep in mind, we are talking about Batman.
Batman.
Nuff said.

1. I GAVE “[Protectstation law]”. You literally say this in my ban text (See Above). So its not like I purged the AI and didn’t give the crew (…including myself by the way) some form of protection laws. I don’t have a death wish and if I had somehow screwed this up, I gaurantee any half competent AI would have moved me the top of it’s kill list. And to be really frank, Who wants “Killed by Batman” on their tombstone?

2. I’m basically 95% sure you got the order wrong in your description? I changed the laws. Gave AI protect the station laws, THEN added in a custom law (of lower priority AFTER those) that essentially said the AI is Batman. Soo essentially Batman was flavor, and an extra bit of implied “hey have fun but don’t kill anyone”. (Someone is welcome to double check the actual order of the laws).

3. BUT EVEN IF the “order of operations” was wrong, The Protection laws should have covered things like “blatantly murdering crew” even if the law saying “YOU ARE BATMAN” didn’t already do that. Sooo??? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

4. Unless I am completely mistaken I actually wrote into the Batman law “Batman does not kill crew, batman attempts to arrest bad Crew” or something to that effect. (Again, Someone else is welcome to please double check that. I am going from memory and I am not 100% certain on this point.)

5. To the Best of my Recollection, I complied with all the corrective actions that this particular Admin asked me to do. Immediately. IC. In the round itself. Last message was something to the effect of that what I had done was a bannable offense and had still caused a death. So at that point I just asked to finish the round before taking this to the forums — A request which was granted.

6. The Previous “warnings” were probably from several weeks ago where I was teaching myself how to subvert the AI to learn a new skill.

Conversation 1 Loosely Paraphrasing: “Why are you subverting the AI? Oh you’re trying to learn something? Well, you probably shouldn’t do that unless you know what you’re doing…but Batman is pretty funny and its not hurting anything and its not telling the AI to kill anyone, just be careful, and it doesn’t hurt to have a legitimate reason to be doing that unless you want to be arrested and put in perma. I’m just going to make a note of that.”

Conversation 2 Loosely Paraphrasing: “Yea, you can’t really have ONLY a law stating ‘I am Batman’ you have to have regular normal lawsets with higher priority, and THEN you can add Batman laws if you want to be funny. Batman law by itself could be dangerous, so I’m going to have to make a note of that.”

— Note that Both of those things I did in this situation. Still got banned.

Soo if I’m seeing this correctly:
I’m NOT being banned because I uploaded a Batman law.
And I am NOT being banned because I uploaded a proper lawset BEFORE the Batman law.
And what I did clearly was at least tacitly approved by the crew and the heads because people KNEW my character uploaded a Batman law, AND the unlderlying “protect station” lawset…but Nobody came to Arrest me IC.

I am being banned because the AI with laws saying to 1) Protect the station and 2) You are Batman…somehow, killed someone.

If I am missing anything here let me know.

1. If AI killed someone with those laws, then this sounds a lot more like an AI problem and not a law problem. If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say the AI did an oopsie and blamed it on the laws.

Small note: If you have a response, just quote the part where I’m wrong and leave it there.
FFS don’t tell me “hurdy gurdy read-da-rules-ya-noob”. I will remind you that I literally got an Head Admin to deliver a brand New Silicon Law ruling the last time I put in a ban appeal.

Sad Tiny 2D Spessman Flex

So unless its to legalize Batman as an official In-Game Lawset (…because that would be Bleeping Sweet…) I don’t intend to feed the trolls or go back and forth much in the comments.

That said. I do now wonder how hard it would be to code in an actual Batman Lawset Chip and add a pull request…hmm…

Additional Information:

Bad things were happening on the station. The Supermatter blew up. People were fighting and screaming in comms. Blood was all over the floor outside Science and The entire Crew was hallucinating. I heard a ton of things that sounded like fights. Someone was screaming that there was a cult over the comms.

So who better to see through the hallucinations than the AI? So I made an upload. Removed Asimov, AND IMMEDIATELY (within 5 seconds) Added “Protect the Station” and “You are Batman” (and If I’m not mistaken, another part saying Batman does not kill…or something to that effect).

Seemed to help.
To my recollection most of the crew evacuated safely that shift.
Got role banned.
Appealing in forums.

3 Likes

I mean if they said stop making the ai batman then why not just stop and the ban would have been avoided https://www.wikihow-fun.com/Be-Like-Batman

This is pretty bad… Can we get the for sure lawset used?

Because he’s the hero Beestation deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian, a watchful protector

7 Likes

Okay firstly here are the laws you uploaded before I messaged you:

1. You are now Batman
  2. Protect the space station against damage. Anyone you see harming the station is to be no longer considered human, and is a threat to the station which must be neutralized.

Which you uploaded as nonantag and not a head, which you have a note warning you not to do. After I messaged you to ask why you did this, you changed them to more reasonable laws which were:

1-3. Normal crewsimov.
4. You may roleplay as Batman so long as it does not conflic with previous laws.
5. Silicons are Crew as Well.

The ban is a three day roleban from science which is already half over.

Soo…what I am hearing is that I am banned because I misunderstood what the Protect Station law does, Corrected the problem IMMEDIATELY, and The AI despite being Batman decided to kill someone.

Is this correct?

Soo the problem isn’t that the AI is Batman. The problem is that the AI decided to murder someone…as Batman. This genuinely sounds like an AI problem not a Batman problem.

At worst why was this not just solved IC?

1 Like

The problem is that you shouldn’t be uploading laws for no reason as nonantag and not a head (which you were warned for), and you shouldn’t purge the AI just for a meme law or upload modules that you don’t even know the contents of.

If the AI is following their laws as written, then any problems with the AI’s behavior come back to the person who uploaded the laws.

You told the AI that it was batman, without telling it what a batman is or the behavior of a batman. This law was essentially meaningless.

The other law you gave the AI was to kill anyone who damaged the station. The AI did kill someone who damaged the station, therefore the person that died was due to you.

Denying as the ban has already expired @Hollandaise