Salamander44 (Michael B. Harrow) admin app

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Salamander44

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Salamander#3348 (Michael B. Harrow is my nickname)

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone): 6 hours minimum 7 days a week, as career allows. Timezone is EDT

What changes, if any, would you bring?: I would like to help implement a better way to guide newer players through the game, as I personally feel like the mentors are ineffective at best.

How old are you?: 19

Why do you want to be an admin?: I would like to be an admin because I would love an opportunity to give back to a community that I absolutely adore, Beestation is full of wonderful people, and I would like a chance to help keep it a community that attracts this type of folk. In my experience, administrating is a very thankless job, and I wish to bring some of my experience to the team, in order to make things even a slight bit easier on everyone that is already on the team.

How long have you been playing SS13?: Since early 2020, roughly 200 hours between several servers, give or take

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: Since early 2021, with roughly 100 hours

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 7, I still lack engineering experience

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?: 9, though I have severely limited experience with SS13s admin tools.

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13: I have been admin on about 30-40 servers between many different games in my online “Career” between games such as Team Fortress 2, Rust, Minecraft, Unturned, Garrys mod, and a few others.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: I do not have any alternate accounts at this time.

Your strengths: I believe that my greatest strength is the amount of administrative experience I have had on other servers, and the fact that I am able to look at situations in an almost completely objective light, without forming any opinions until a verdict has been made.

Your weaknesses: I tend to treat hostility with snarkiness, passive aggression, and sarcasm

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Not particularly, I tend to keep a very level head, the only thing that mildly upsets me is when things that should work, dont. Like pushing a button not doing anything, inputs not responding, etc.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Without a doubt, the ability to view things from a neutral perspective. And the ability to admit when they are wrong.

What makes a staff team good?: A staff teams greatest strength is unity. The lack of unity can easily lead to infighting, and toestepping. A united team can take on almost any challenge effortlessly. An administrative staff with access to many valuable viewpoints, makes dealing with the more severe threats to server/community stability a breeze.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: The staff team exists to maintain a safe and fun environment for all to enjoy. They exist to assist in rooting out problems in the community, so the community as a whole can thrive. They also exist in order to move slow/boring rounds forward, in ways that all players can enjoy.

What kind of player are you?: I am a player that likes to have a goal, I tend to work better if I have a solidified thing that I am working towards. I mainly play CMO, as wrangling bumbling infants in medbay for some reason makes me feel good, and I absolutely adore teaching newer players about the wonderful medical system that the game has to offer. I often play harmless pranks on players that I know, but never to the extent of it being an issue for any party involved.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I believe that I will take my roll on the station much more seriously, and strive to be an even better role model than I already am.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: Assuming the clown is not an antagonist, I would boink the clown, most likely letting him know that his “harmless prank” may have severely impacted peoples round. As he may not only have ruined the HoSs round due to him loosing a main method of protection, but an antagonists round, if one of his goals is to steal said gun. Due to the fact that it is a high risk item, I would return the gun to the HoS, and depending on his conduct, let the clown off with a warning and note (or possibly a more severe punishment if he is a repeat offender)

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: I ask him what his reasoning for his behavior is, though there doesn’t seem to be much of an excuse for this behavior. His conduct in ahelps most likely will be hostile, considering his blatantly malicious behavior, and due to the fact that such behavior is extremely abhorrent, it will lead to a permanent ban.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: IC issue, but I may send him some tips on how to improve his chemistry play.

100 hours of bee is a little bit on the lower end for an admin application

2 Likes

I agree, though after 100 hours I feel confident enough with my grasp of the community and its quirks, if I have to wait to reapply so be it, but I was told by a few people to give it a shot, so here I am.

2 Likes

100 hours here is way too low for me to consider even if you do have past experience on other games.

Good luck

Get more hours.

Looks pretty good imo, even with this very small playtime,
have a +1

You seem sensible and hours really don’t mean everything so I say +1.

We generaly require new applicants to posses atleast 200 hours on our server, except in spechial cases.
Rest sounds fine enough, though.

You’re in very much the same situation I was when I first applied for admin - Experienced with and enjoyed adminning games in general, but a bit lacking on the hours with this specific game. I think you have a lot of promise but due to some of the plans on the board for staff, I don’t think it’s good timing to accept.

Going to go ahead and reject this for now, but please re-apply at a later date.

(Also keep wrangling in new players to teach)