Rule Rework 2021

If you have questions, comments, or concerns about the rules rework, please post here.

Keep discussion on topic.

1 Like

On topic

1 Like

R7 Head of Staff conduct

The Head of Personnel is responsible for managing access to the station, but is only directly in charge of service and supply jobs. The HoP has no authority over Security; the HoP may not act as a Security Officer.

Does this apply to LowPop server play when there might not even be any security staff on the station? I tend to find in those situations that command staff does a LOT of grunt work.

Assistants are expected to be useful.

You do not have a free pass to do your own thing. 

This includes wandering maintenance for no reason or in search of gear/loot.
You are the lowest in the chain of command,
and are expected to answer any request when something is asked of you.

LoL, this will literally never be enforced. 95% of people who play assistant just do it to grey tide.

Security Officer

Code Green

1. Security Officers are required to tell a person why they are being detained at the time of arrest.

Ooooh theres gonna be some salty player reports over this. :smiley:

Detective

Code Green

1. The Detective is not permitted to carry any weaponry other than their standard issue equipment. The Detective’s revolver and ammo are one of the notable exceptions.

Can they still modify their revolver to fire .357?

Head of Personnel

1. The Head of Personnel may not grant someone access to an additional department if said department is staffed (e.g. don’t give Shaft Miners access to Science while Scientists are already doing research).

Okay this one cuts into something I usually do as a Station Engineer. Regardless of whether theres atmos techs or not I usually ask HOP for atmos access at round start because after I get done patching holes in a room It helps a lot to be able to access the air alarm and set the fans to refill the room.

1 Like

For anyone that is not a head of staff the SOP is merely an IC guideline

Yes. The captain is expected to have the role filled. If there is no captain, but there is a HoP, then the HoP assumes the duties as acting captain and at the point it’s a bit moot.

Guess they’ll have to change or go elsewhere, huh?

They key phrase is “standard issue equipment.” A modified weapon wouldn’t be standard issue. You can do it, but you risk IC consequences.

Ask your CE then, they have the ability to edit access rights within their department.

*Important to note that repeated egregious breaks can result in administrative punishment or could be used as justification for a role ban. They aren’t hard-line rules you have to follow, but you should still make at least a basic effort to do so.

The cook’s SOP states that

The Cook is not permitted to cook food that can harm or kill crewmembers.

Which is slightly funny/nonsensical, since oozelings can get harmed and I think quite easily killed by any food containing water.

On a more serious question,

Atmospheric Technicians are not permitted to create or release harmful gas mixes for any non-engine purposes.

Does this also exclude the creation of valuable gases for sale by cargo, when a dangerous gas mix needs to be made?

I also think this one is quite confusingly worded, since it reads to me like it says the chaplain should not heal if there are no medical doctors

The Chaplain should not attempt to heal/bless a crewmember without their expressed consent or if there are no medical doctors present during an emergency situation.

As a final note, from the HoP and command SOP

The Head of Personnel is permitted to carry only their issued equipment for self defense.

Command Staff are permitted to carry small, concealable, nonlethal items to use in their own personal defense.

Is this meant to imply the HoP has less permission to carry items for self-defense?

Atmospheric Technicians are not permitted to create or release harmful gas mixes for any non-engine purposes.

Furtermore, how do we define dangerous? 100% o2 is dangerous because it causes fires to become much worse, and is lethal to plasmamen.
This part of SOP should just be removed entirely, as there’s just too many edge cases and harmful gas mix is too hard to define.

Assistants are supposed to be the useless redshirts and peanut gallery that do nothing, mean nothing, and just add fat to the game. Y’all are trying to make them meat instead. Doesn’t feel right.

1 Like

Wrong, they are supposed to be the coffee bitches of the entirety of the station, bar silicons.

For example, they could handle hand mailing between different department, assist in genetics experimentation (with CMO approval), stuff like that.

2 Likes

yea assistants being the useless expendables makes it oh so more funny when a group of them join up and throw spears at the station destroying threat and actually saves the day whilst it still not mattering if they miss and all die terribly

2 Likes

they could handle mailing between different departments

cargo has like, 2 jobs my guy dont take this away from us

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone reach harder for straws

2 Likes

Furtermore, how do we define dangerous? 100% o2 is dangerous because it causes fires to become much worse, and is lethal to plasmamen.

Fisrt : Plasmeme are supposed to have their environmosuits on.
Second : 100% O2 in ss13, unlike real life, isn’t dangerous by itself. Granted, it will greatly aggravate fires, but will allows breathing during partial depressurisation (you should probably go for N2 and pluox instead, but hey).

No, Assistants are just mooks. Creeps. Feeders. They’re like guards in stealth games. Yeah they’re there to “”“stop”"" you, but it’s really just an illusion of challenge.

I don’t care what you make them lore-wise because mechanically all they are is an overflow role for when all the more meaningful roles are taken.

1 Like

Do the Cyborg and AI possibly need an SOP?

1 Like

Shame to see the “aliens must use their species name conventions” still in writing.

i don’t like how much “written consent” is required, all it does is make heads even less beginner friendly and make dealing with a noob head even worse, especially considering the current paperwork guide is outdated as hell