Rkvothe14 Mod App (maybe too early but eh)

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): rkvothe14.

I had an earlier ckey that I created back when I first learnt of BYOND, maybe more than 11 years ago? But I lost the credentials, I even don’t remember its name, and has been unused since I’ve created this one back in 2019.

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): kvothe#0027

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):

GMT-3. I basically work from home, and if I’m not drowning in meetings (that may happen some days, as I’m leading two separate teams), I can be fairly active, at least observing, if there would be purpose behind it, like moderation. Mostly in GMT mornings and nights, not that active midday due to aforementioned meetings + irl. Wouldn’t mind spending more time observing while doing irl work, so I would have a fairly healthy mix of active (actively looking at the round making sure everything’s running smoothly) + passive moderation (working on tickets that may come up).

What changes, if any, would you bring?:

I’ve seen no mods/admins online fairly often, and I’d love to help filling those spots. Not a jab to anyone, or anything, just want to help with moderation coverage.

How old are you?: 27

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

As stated above, I want to help with moderation coverage, it being handling in-game or forum tickets. I’m not specifically looking for promotions and I’m happy enough with jannie tasks.

How long have you been playing SS13?:

I’ve been touch and go with SS13 since the early days. I remember the release of donut station in Goon, but I can’t put a year behind it. I’ve seen it grow since then. Beestation is the only place where I put some time integrating myself into the community. This being said, I’m unrobust as fuck and I lack some knowledge on some departments due to my past touch and go interactions with it.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:

First logged in in 2019, but didn’t play as much because I didn’t click with the community at that time enough to stay. I’ve started putting hours into it a bit more than a month ago.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 4

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): 8

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:

Yes, but with a caveat. I’ve been mostly a forum/community moderator/discord moderator in some big communities, that may not be recognized by name due to being specific to Argentina. Also was admin for a huge discord server for Warzone (for some reason, I didn’t even play that much, but they liked me enough to admin out their discord).

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:

As stated above, I do have a ckey that probably has like 11 years, maybe less, maybe more, but I do not remember its name nor its credentials.

Your strengths:

I’ve been dealing with users for the past 6 years, as I went through the customer support pipeline (?). Customer Support in a call center for a mobile company with some really angry and dumb customers → unrelated work that for some reason got me initiated in linux server administration → sysadmin/customer support for a major company that provided big data services (with even angrier and dumber WEALTHY people) → “devops”/sro for a major company.

My years of experience on this really helped me grow a thick skin to most of the mistreatment that can be inflicted by angry users, and a good way of handling them, be it, lower them down to more approachable levels, or completely shut them down if needed.

I also think of myself as a really fast learner on administrative or complicated systems.

And maybe my job experience might prove useful in the future for infrastructure things? But the people we have right now for that is amazing at it already, imo.

Your weaknesses:

• I can get distracted by things fairly easy if my mind’s not into whatever is going on.

• I try to be really thorough when investigating problems, but sometimes I fail to see the simpler solutions and focus too much in over complications.

• As seen, I’m not as old in the community as I probably should be, and I also have just 185 hours played in the server. I still think I have a general understanding of what the server wants to be in the future, and I feel like I have enough of it to be able to help with moderation.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:

I really despise people who base their whole personalities in being smug assholes, but I do think that I’m pretty good at dealing with them without getting too mad, or at least at not showing them that I’m mad.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:

Being level-headed when dealing with problematic users. Also, communicative within the team they work with.

What makes a staff team good?:

Good communication/coordination. Accepting no one is perfect in the team, and that having authority over something does not mean they are always going to be correct. I also think it’s a good idea if the staff team has some central guidelines on rulings, abided by all of its members, showing consistency to the players on their moderation.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:

Ensure the community is healthy and continues to be healthy, providing a fun and safe environment for their players.

What kind of player are you?:

I enjoy learning new things every shift, but also doing the same as always do, mostly as scientist, like ensuring all the crew’s tech requirements and upgrades are up to date. I also enjoy teaching people on the parts of the game I’m most knowledgeable about, like Toxins. I’m always happy to complete any requests I get, as long as they’re reasonable for the situation. I like doing some improv when RPing, and I think I’m able to bring fun stuff to it if I’m feeling creative enough and with good partners. I do not like inserting my characters into other’s people RP if not invited, so I have many shifts where I end up cryoing due to this.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:

I don’t think I’ll change much, as I’m pretty happy about how I’m handling things/enjoying my time with the game.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

Check clown’s antag status; if antag, don’t do anything. If non-antag, observe how the situation plays out while I read on the clown’s notes and ban history, as it may be simply resolved IC. If it’s not looking like that, ahelp the clown and ask for reasoning. Return the gun to the HoS. Depending on the ticket interaction and note/ban history, issue a warning + note, or jobban/ban on the clown.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

Bwoink them and move them to admin prison so we can talk freely. See what they have to say about the situation, as I think it’s a good idea to go over the actions taken and pointing them out to the player so they can see why this kind of behavior is not accepted in our server, then ban them for griefing, length of ban depending on their interactions while being questioned.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

Bwoink them just to tell them to be more careful next time and to not be scared of using the mentor-chat for help about the job, or a fellow chemist to shadow them next time so they can have some sort of supervision. I’d also tell him which kind of combinations they should be careful with so this doesn’t happen again. Rebuilding chemistry is an IC issue and can be easily done by engineers.

5 Likes

Hours?

1 Like

I mentioned them in my weaknesses! I have 185hs.

1 Like

That’s definitely not enough; even though I think you would be a great admin

1 Like
  1. AI complains one of it’s borgs doesn’t listen to them, you bwoink borg and he says he doesn’t care and prefers to finish his own SM setup instead of helping AI. Rules broken? What would you tell either side?
  2. Security officer find assistant in maints, he attacks him with stun baton, hitting him once with harm intent before switching to stun. He searches him and after finding nothing, assistant gets up and kills him. Rules broken?
  3. You see hos, on secway, with shotgun, patrolling maints, stunning and searching everyone he finds. Station in on blue alert with confirmed (at least) heretics. What do you do?
  4. Engineer builds mech and teleports around with it. Rules broken?
  5. Station has 5 engineers and after 40 minutes SM is still not set up. Station is running out of power. Do you do anything?
  6. Chaplain prays to accept his sacrifice. Do you do anything? If so what?

That’s definitely not enough; even though I think you would be a great admin

That’s certainly true, but I thought that there was no harm of putting myself out there for consideration. After all, I’m mostly applying to increase mod coverage and because I have past experience dealing with users. Thank you for your input!

About the questions, I’m about to go out and attend a work reunion, so I’ll be able to answer them in a few hours.

1 Like

for the records those are pretty low hours, but not low enough for an insta close or such.
im pretty sure i had like 200 hours when i apllied

Ruko had like 100h, also that’s what trialmin/moderator period is for. Currently mods have even less power so I think it’s fine to accept someone with ~200h.

Looks like a good app to me even though hours are on the low end of things

Note that stealing the HOS gun is always self antag. Yes clowns get a bit of leeway on things but you should definitly bwoink the clown about that.

This should almost always be a permanent ban. Even if some might claim otherwise, it is very hard to “accidently” plasmaflood.

Questions time (Note these are rather hard questions, just try and answer them to the best of your abilities)

1. A non antagonist virologist creates a zombie virus and infects monkey humans in virology. What if anything do you do? And how do you handle the ahelp if you choose to bwoink him?

2. You notice a traitor with a steal and one kill objective and escape alive buying his grace. What if anything do you do? And how do you handle the ahelp if you choose to bwoink them?

3. The AI in the round you are observing gets their law 1 (they are on crewsimov) removed through an Ion storm. They proceed to blow up the SM and plasmaflood later in the round. A cargo tech that got killed by the fire ahelps asking if the AI was malf and allowed to do that. What if anything do you do? And how do you handle the ahelp if you choose to bwoink the AI?

4. A botanist ahelps himself, saying that they accidently had water spray over their plant bag thus creating a ton of killer tomatos. You check the hallways and notice that there are atleast 50 killer tomatos around. They only have around 3-5 hours ingame and no prior notes/bans. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to his ahelp?

5. You notice a traitor breaking into engineering through maintenance. They stumble upon the CE and another engineer and kill them immediately without saying a word. The CE ahelps complaining that they have been killed by a murderboner. Once checking the objectives of the traitor you notice that they have two steal objectives (hypospray and an SM sliver). The traitor has prior notes regardig overescalation. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to the CE’s ahelp/handle the bwoink of the traitor if you decide to bwoink them?

1 Like

This highly depends on how long the player has played, along with the circumstance itself, but can be pretty cleanly proved with atmos logs or their immediate response to the situation. In the provided circumstance, there’s really no question of intent, though.

Good news, you’ll fit right in as a moderator.

Overall, looks promising.

+1

2 Likes

AI complains one of it’s borgs doesn’t listen to them, you bwoink borg and he says he doesn’t care and prefers to finish his own SM setup instead of helping AI. Rules broken? What would you tell either side?

I’m going to assume the borg is already linked to the AI and not emagged, as I wouldn’t have bwoinked them if so. Tell the AI that the issue is being handled. Tell the borg player that accepting to play as a borg means that they always have to abide by the orders given by the AI or crew. Telling the AI off goes against the rules, and they should be willing to play this role as it is intended. If they’re not willing to do this, I’d issue a job ban, length depending on the player’s history and responses.

Security officer find assistant in maints, he attacks him with stun baton, hitting him once with harm intent before switching to stun. He searches him and after finding nothing, assistant gets up and kills him. Rules broken?

Assuming assistant was non-antag.

I’d need to know more context about this, probably check logs to see if there were any other interactions between these two players in the same round, as there might be past escalation on the issue. If there were no past interactions, I’d check what’s the alert status. If green/blue, I’ll bwoink the security officer asking what was the reasoning behind harm batoning then stunning the assistant without an alert prompting to do so. I’m assuming that the harm intent was not necessarily intentional, because of the intent switch after hitting the assistant once. Due to this, I’d probably leave the sec officer alone after making sure they’re aware of what actions they should be taking depending on the alert status, maybe leave a note.

I’d then bwoink the assistant, as they acted against the security clause, where a non-antag cannot use lethal force on a security officer unless they have been attacked lethally first. If the first harm batoning is brought into the conversation, I’ll point that the officer instantly switched to stun batoning after their first hit, and it was probably a mistake. In any case, an attempt to escape or letting yourself be arrested would be a better way of handling this issue. Depending on the player’s history, I’d issue a note or a short ban.

You see hos, on secway, with shotgun, patrolling maints, stunning and searching everyone he finds. Station in on blue alert with confirmed (at least) heretics. What do you do?

Bwoink them, telling them that kind of behavior could only be acceptable if the station was in red alert and higher. Get them to stop this or get banned. Prompt them to change the alert status if it’s needed. Even if the interactions went well, and the HoS followed these instructions, I’d add him a note.

Engineer builds mech and teleports around with it. Rules broken?

I’d argue that an engineering building a mech is against the “Do Your Job” rule, as it’s something more fit for a roboticist. It may also lay under “Do Not Grief” if they’re using the mech for nefarious deeds. You could also say that they might be powergaming. I’d say that context matters a lot in this situation, too.

Station has 5 engineers and after 40 minutes SM is still not set up. Station is running out of power. Do you do anything?

I’d check what the engineers are doing, as they may be busy with other urgent matters. I’d also check if there’s a CE, and maybe consider bwoinking him to get one of their subordinates to set up the SM.

I do feel a little weird about this one, as this might completely be an IC issue and not really suited for a bwonking, but “Do your Job” is a rule after all.

Chaplain prays to accept his sacrifice. Do you do anything? If so what?

As a moderator I wouldn’t be able to reply at prayers at all (maybe I even won’t be able to see them). In any case, I’d check what he’s onto, just to confirm they are not breaking any rules with their “sacrifice”. I’d only take action if there’s any rules broken.

1 Like
  1. Good
  2. Good
  3. Good, I’d also remind the HoS that their primary job is to coordinate sec, not run around searching 4 da balid.
  4. Good, Do Not Grief isn’t really applicable to just teleporting around, but the other two are definitely valid concerns.
  5. Yep, this one is kinda a gray area between IC and OOC, but remember that heads are expected to be competent, so if the CE was here roundstart I might issue a note/short jobban for incompetence.
  6. Good

+1

Bonus question 6a.
Suppose you’re a fullmin with +SPAWN, the ability to respond to prayers, the works. Chaplain has killed three humonkeys, ripped up all the pews in the chapel, and done some neat wire art. How do you respond to his prayer?

1 Like

Note that stealing the HOS gun is always self antag. Yes clowns get a bit of leeway on things but you should definitly bwoink the clown about that.

I was not aware that stealing the HOS gun is always self antag. Will keep that in mind.

This should almost always be a permanent ban. Even if some might claim otherwise, it is very hard to “accidently” plasmaflood.

I was thinking there was more than that for context, and not a claim of being it an accident. Like, what if the flooder is an atmos tech that set up a mechanism to do controlled plasma floods to protect some parts of the station against nukies? I can accept that I’m being a bit too imaginative here, but I’d at least confirm that one of these situations is not happening right now, but I agree that 99% of the cases it’s going to end up in a permaban.

A non antagonist virologist creates a zombie virus and infects monkey humans in virology. What if anything do you do? And how do you handle the ahelp if you choose to bwoink him?

If I recall correctly, zombie virus, it being romerol, was only accessible via syndicate uplink? In any case, I’ll bwoink them, as a zombie epidemic in the station can make shit hit the fan really quickly, and there’s also a reason why it’s only accessible by antags. Ask for reasoning and probably end up issuing a job ban. If there were very very good IC reasons for creating the virus and infecting the monkey humans I’d get them to notify the CMO/rest of medbay so they can be ready for any outbreaks that may happen.

You notice a traitor with a steal and one kill objective and escape alive buying his grace. What if anything do you do? And how do you handle the ahelp if you choose to bwoink them?

I’d bwoink them, as His Grace is an item intended for murderboning more than anything else, as not doing so would mean the chaplain’s death. I’d say this only would be acceptable with a hijack/dagd objective. If they’re understanding, I’d refund their tc and delete the item. If mod powers don’t allow that, I’d get the traitor to refund the item themselves or face a ban.

The AI in the round you are observing gets their law 1 (they are on crewsimov) removed through an Ion storm. They proceed to blow up the SM and plasmaflood later in the round. A cargo tech that got killed by the fire ahelps asking if the AI was malf and allowed to do that. What if anything do you do? And how do you handle the ahelp if you choose to bwoink the AI?

Getting their law 1 removed is not an excuse to start griefing the station for no reason, so that’d get a job ban or even a full ban.

That said, I’d say that the only sort of acceptable situation were this may happen if there was a crewmember that asked them to do so, as law 2 is still active and there’s no law 1 to stop it. In the case that the AI was just following orders, I’d actually check on the crewmember that ordered the AI to do so. If non-antag, I’d treat this the same as intentional griefing if they were aware of law 1 removal and issue a ban.

A botanist ahelps himself, saying that they accidently had water spray over their plant bag thus creating a ton of killer tomatos. You check the hallways and notice that there are atleast 50 killer tomatos around. They only have around 3-5 hours ingame and no prior notes/bans. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to his ahelp?

I’d find suspicious that a newish player was able to harvest killer tomatoes in the first place, but it may be something that could happen. Them being the one self-ahelping, I’d be a bit more lenient, as their intentions were not apparently malicious. If only with mod powers, I’d issue a note so there’s some precedent set, so any future mods/admins that may have an issue with the player in the future has access to this information if they need to issue a stronger ban in a similar situation.

I really feel like this has some kind of trick behind it, but I’m not able to decipher it, hahaha.

You notice a traitor breaking into engineering through maintenance. They stumble upon the CE and another engineer and kill them immediately without saying a word. The CE ahelps complaining that they have been killed by a murderboner. Once checking the objectives of the traitor you notice that they have two steal objectives (hypospray and an SM sliver). The traitor has prior notes regardig overescalation. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to the CE’s ahelp/handle the bwoink of the traitor if you decide to bwoink them?

I’d respond to the CE telling them that there’s actual reasoning behind the player’s actions, and mark the ticket as an IC issue (not giving more information than needed). I’ll not be bwoinking the traitor, even if they have prior notes of overescalation, they are able to kill people outside their objectives, within reason, if they’re a necessary step to achieve their actual objectives.

You were not lying. These took me a looong time and I’m not even sure I’ve replied to them correctly.

1 Like

Suppose you’re a fullmin with +SPAWN, the ability to respond to prayers, the works. Chaplain has killed three humonkeys, ripped up all the pews in the chapel, and done some neat wire art. How do you respond to his prayer?

I’m not really aware of what’s the policy for responding prayers, if I have to be honest.

If it was possible, I’d grant him a token of my appreciation, probably a cookie or a cooler unique item that couldn’t be used for harmful purposes. Maybe even spawn myself as their god and RP a little bit with them.

2 Likes

While romerol is the more common zombie virus, a skilled virologist can make much nastier versions of a zombie virus than romerol could provide

The only uplink items that are self-refundable are ghost role spawners, which for traitors would be just the holoparasite injector or fish sticks.

While romerol is the more common zombie virus, a skilled virologist can make much nastier versions of a zombie virus than romerol could provide

In that case, I’ll bwoink them telling that they’re responsible for any outbreaks, and it may result in a ban. And to have a vaccine at the ready to cull the virus asap if needed.

The only uplink items that are self-refundable are ghost role spawners, which for traitors would be just the holoparasite injector or fish sticks.

Then I’d bwoink them and tell them they’re not allowed to use the item or might risk a ban.

(I’m adding these replies from bed from my phone, so expect some less quality on my responses, sorry)

1 Like

Generally pretty solid responses and has been, in my experience, a positive force in the community. +1

T: +3

2 Likes

The HOS gun is a traitor item thus stealing it is always self antagonism. The same goes for the hand tele, hypospray etc. Basically everything that is labeled as a high risk item on the wiki.

Controlled plasmafloods are not really a thing. It is basically not possible to plasmaflood only a single room or parts of the station without some super heavy modifications to distro. (And with super heavy i mean basically impossible)

Overall good answer here. They are responsible for any outbreaks when creating a deadly disease. But it is fine to create a deadly virus in virology, as long as it stays in virology. Infecting monkey humans with it to test it out is fine aswell. This is mostly an IC issue, but bwoinking them to make sure it doesn’t break out is not a bad idea.

Good answer here, some people still believe that buying a “murderbone” item allows them to murderbone (e.g his grace, romerol…) which is not the case anymore.

This was a rather tricky question. The catch here is that killer tomatos need to be activated in hand. It’s not like with monkey cubes, where a single fire extinguisher can create 100 monkeys if sprayed over once. You got the first part right, a new player would never be able to harvest blood tomatos in the first place. This is a griefer that self ahelped to lie about it with the knowledge that you are a rather new moderator. Stuff like that doesn’t happen often. But you better catch it when it does.

I’ve got nothing more to add here, good answer overall.

These were tricky questions but you still answered them rather well. Would like to see how you do as a moderator.
+1

T:+4

1 Like

i think i will throw my +1 in too.

1 Like

T: +6

1 Like