Proposed Storage Item Rework (BoH, Trashbag, Bodybag, Boxes, etc etc)

I think the main issue is there is no middle ground between shitty backpacks and OP BoH’s. its 1 or the other. The best you can do is stacking items like satchels and such which is a little cheese.

I absolutely do not like your proposed box change.
100% no.
The ont thing I do wish would be fixed in storage, is to make it so syringes with different contents don’t stack. Same with beakers and bottles.

You used to be able to label things differently with a hand labeler to prevent stacking.

I don’t know which PR it was but lately it does not work anymore.

I think the main issue is there is no middle ground between shitty backpacks and OP BoH’s. its 1 or the other. The best you can do is stacking items like satchels and such which is a little cheese.

Thus the compressed tier idea.

TBOHs were already nerfed (Due to mainly i feel my fuckery on Golden.) so i dont think they need to change at all.

Tbohs are bad for janitors and sleeper op for everyone else. It’s objectively bad even if we remove our opinions from the equation. Making a balanced, widely available item is better.

What? They are amazing. You can fit so much in them and put them into a BOH without causing an explosion.

The trashbag of holding had the same definition as an admin-spawn only item because of an oversight, it was never meant to hold massive amounts of items for free.

What? They are amazing. You can fit so much in them and put them into a BOH without causing an explosion.

Yes. They are too amazing for storage, and yet if your trash is bigger than a shard it can’t go in.

I’m playing a regular Joe doing their job not a one man army carrying all sorts of weapons, explosives and god know what so I can’t really tell much when it comes to backpack trickery.
I honestly don’t care that much about bluespace containers

But I’m not convinced to your idea when it comes to boxes. As far as I’m concerned they seem to work as they were intended and it actually seems to be fine by most players.
Its making artificial and unintuitive restrictions that people always complain about when they point out that ss13 is a patchwork of different ideas and mechanics not compatible with each other. Boxes don’t offer unreasonable amount of additional space and they are utilized mostly for small items anyway like electronic boards, beakers etc.
Introducing a restriction that a cardboard box with different label won’t be able to hold something while other box could will only cause chaos and frustration with no real benefits

While I’m not anywhere close to be a janitor main I have spent fair amount of hours either as janitor or as different job additionally stepping up for janitor duties.
I actually don’t mind trashbag of holding current limitations. Janitor work is already really easy once you unlock their technology. Mopping floor is easy with janicart mod, you use TBOH to pick up small crap and you sweep bigger things into disposals. Its actually a very nice system.

But I can see the issue when it comes to people using trashbags to carry their supplies. Its not easy to remove such possibility since anything could be a trash including full beakers, patches, fruits or good ammo (especially since we got fastmos, spacewind can gather crap from all departments).
Instead of once again trying to tweak how much they can hold and what size of items maybe it would be better to just make it not possible to open them?
Make a device (for example in disposal room) that somehow open TBOH and eject its content.
Don’t know about you but if there was some kind of almost magical device that breaks the spacetime I wouldn’t actually like to put my hand inside (Now that I think about it, if you would try to open it, it should rip your hand and place it inside the trashbag).
To make it not game breaking make an option to actually break the bag with some tools but at least make it result in destroying the bag itself so it wouldn’t be useful for carrying supplies since everything you were carrying would land on ground, additional negative effects would be probably welcome as well.

1 Like

Maybe the size of trash items needs to be redefined.

Or maybe we really need to give the size of an item in every item description. Most dont have a size assigned to them. There is no where to tell what the sizes mean and they are sometimes completely arbitrary.

Its the same way with Force. There is no where outside of Admin console fuckery to tell what an items’ force is most of the time and what it actually means when it says it. Like what is the difference between Medium Force and Robust Force? Its never stated anywhere.

Absolute comedy :trolleybus:
It wasn’t meant to hold potted plants? I remember running around as borg literally cleaning the entire fucking station

It used to be able to do that.

Until i discovered you could shove both fireaxes, a hardsuit, atmos firefighting backpack, several medkits, every tool you can think of, ect ect ect inside of it.

Edit: All at the same time.

1 Like

As I recall the trashbag was mistakenly set to be a clone of the hammerspace one, which is an adminbus item. That’s why it had 200 capacity and no size limit bar the hugest items.

As of now, it has like 50 slots or something and only holds small items. That’s still a bonkers amount of slots, and the second mechanic just means it’s inconsistent even for janitors.

Objectively, out of all the things in the thread, trashbag being stupid is undisputable.

1 Like

Trashbags are pretty important, and sometimes the trash bag of holding can’t do its job, when the clown spams 500+ banana peels with the funny shoes, and not even the push broom can handle it. You have no idea how little 60 items is.

It is very disputable, just because you only view this game through the lens of power game and not fun space station simulator doesn’t mean it’s overpowered.

But why?
I seem to be missing the issue with trash bag.

Is it that you can’t put bigger items in it?
As I said, with my experience as Janitor it works quite good and is intuitive. We all know what a trashbag is. Of course there are probably some items that ‘don’t feel right’ but that’s inherent issue to not only SS13, not only 2d games but games in general.

If its about ‘logic’ of not being able to fit something in bluespace container even though it expands the space I have two things for you.
First, bluespace doesn’t make sense at all and its a word we use just to hide purely magical solutions that are far beyond anything suspension of disbelief can get us to accept
Second, logically you are still limited by size of opening of the bag so it actually makes sense it accepts only small items.

Maybe I’m alone with this but I actually think janitor job is working well once they got technology unlocked, mopping is nice and easy with janicart, you have a broom to sweep all crap from floors and then you collect small things in bag and continue sweeping bigger things to disposal. Its probably the only job that actually doesn’t need any changes.

Is it about number of ‘slots’? As @Demdisco said, its often a very little compared to mess that you may be facing.
Only thing we could discuss when it comes to trashbags is the exact number of slots (which should surely not be any smaller, wouldn’t mind it getting bigger especially if we were to implement thing I proposed earlier and will repeat again).

If the issue is that some people are putting incredible amount of ammunition, patches and chems in trashbag to carry supplies they would normally not be able to then I believe only way to deal with it is to make trashbags not being openable like normal containers. Have stationary machine, for example in disposal room, that is able to empty the bag and eject its content and add optional way to break the bag but that would make you drop all things and maybe cause some ‘bluespace disturbane’ (something that would still make people able to retrieve stored objects once ‘the machine’ is broken but would really make it a last resort thing)

to be fair 500+ bananas was too much even for pre-nerf trashbag. use push broom.

tboh were fixed not nerfed

edit: actually wait was it even I cant find anything on the github lmao

Push broom must be manually clicked if it’s something that would slip you, it struggles with walls and it has a limit of items too.

The nature of the change is a fix but on paper it’s definitely a nerf. Entire justified but it did make them fucked up.