Testing for opinions before I mess with any code. This is meant to destroy the current awful bag/box stacking meta, add more availability and make storage less obnoxious. It also does away with some bullshit that should’ve been removed ages ago. I’m expecting you to vote so I can know whether to devote time to this or not. If this gets good votes, I’ll make the PR and hopefully make the game a bit nicer. If you don’t like it, remember that giving constructive criticism helps solve issues, while meming or clinging to old stuff helps no one.
Rework would do the following:
- Renames BoH to Bluespace Backpack. For reasons that will be seen below.
Fixing obnoxious storage layering strategies and ridiculous total space:
- Reclassifies any bags/backpacks as their own item size (likely “carried”, ie “it is a carried item”).
- Makes it so that bags/packs can’t fit into other bags/packs, not even into BoH, no more layering shit for more space. This is why the above size category would be added.
- Increases BoH’s capacity based on what a BoH filled with bags can carry currently, minus 20-40% based on how huge that capacity is. I’d have to do proper measuring and balancing, but you can trust me to not make it broken or bad.
- Changes boxes, instead of being general storage, boxes would only hold their specific items, similar to belts and department bags. For example a lights box would only be able to hold flashlights, tubes, replacers etc. Same goes for medkits and any other small storage items that are currently just general storage space. While you could still place these inside your back item, they wouldn’t just increase total storage space like they do now, rather let you carry specific things ‘at a discount’ of space only.
Fixing BoH bombing:
- A Bluespace Backpack bomb would now immediately fire off a bluespace distortion in a 3x3 area centered on you. This would not destroy but instead make any people as well as anything on the floor in that area disappear. After one minute, the disappeared people would respawn as random entities from a set pool. This pool would contain entertaining, but not particularly powerful mobs, offering a novel mob playing experience without adminbus or xenobio. Note that detonating a Bluespace Backpack to play as a mob would still be seen as awful roleplay unless you’re a debtor or something. This makes the bomb less ridiculous while also being more kind to those who’d get hit by its cheapness.
Introducing alternatives and smaller variants, also fixing trashbag:
- Adds the Bluespace Satchel. A belt item, it has the teleport interference, and has approximately half of the Bluespace Backpack’s capacity and cost. Note that this is still a lot because of the Backpack’s increased capacity. Its size would also be ‘carried’, meaning you couldn’t place it into bags. This would be available from the science lathe only.
- Adds a new “tier” for storage items, “Compression”. Compression items require medium rarity materials similar to the current Trasbag of Holding. This means gold/plasma/uranium/titanium would be used. They’re also ‘carried’ size. A Compression Backpack would have half of a Bluespace Backpack’s capacity - the same as a Bluespace Satchel. Like the bluespace items, it could also hold large items. A Compression Satchel would have half of the Compression Backpack’s capacity, that is, a quarter of a Bluespace Backpack’s. In other words, not an overwhelming amount, though it would still be universal, and better than a belt. Compression items would not have teleport interference or bombing potential, and would be available in all lathes once researched.
- Modifies trashbags. Removes the Trashbag of Holding and adds Compression/Bluespace Tashbags, with same capacity as their respective satchels. Removes stacking. Trashbags would also come in all lathes since it’d be a matter of preference. Only a few jobs actually benefit from being able to pick/dump things en-masse (which is the main benefit) but it’s better to leave it there for them instead of restricting. (For clarity sake, current trashbag of holding is limited to holding small items, but has ridiculous capacity even after the nerf, and no teleport interference. It’s still dumb. It’s a bullshit storage item but its actual use for collecting trash was made awful.)
Fixing research in line with the above:
- Compression items to advanced bluespace research.
- Bluespace items to miniaturized bluespace research.
- Trashbag of Holding removed from sanitation research, Compression/Bluespace Tashbags now part of the two respective nodes above.
Fixing bad aliens:
- The Bluespace Bodybag, going with its name and the new tiering, would now have teleport interference.
- There’d be no Compression Bodybag.
- That’s right ayys. Get good.
- Adds a regular bag vendor to maps, so you can get a regular bag for like 50 credits if you lost your old one, or for whatever other purpose.
- Compression/Bluespace Pet Carrier.
- I support removal of stacking bags/boxes and increased base space.
- I do not support removal of stacking bags/boxes and increased base space.
- I support the proposed BoH bomb change, which is equally deadly but less destructive.
- I do not support the proposed BoH bomb change.
- I support the addition of a new middle ‘tier’ of storage items (compression items).
- I do not support the addition of compression items.
- I support the change to the Trashbag of Holding, which reduces its capacity but lets it carry most items (ie most trash).
- I do not support the proposed change to the Trashbag of Holding, which currently has an outrageous capacity but only carries small items.
- I support making the bluespace bodybag interfere with teleportation (and thus ayys can’t abuse it)
- I do not support making the bluespace bodybag interfere with teleportation