Problems with the detective conceptually

This sounds like an argument for whitelisting more than just captain. Which, mind you, I can get behind.

theres already an issue with too many missing heads, just crack down on shitty heads instead of whitelisting them

I hate whitelisting, especially because there’s already a severe shortage of people willing to play heads. I would unironically prefer more consistent head staffing than overly tight quality control, as long as they aren’t pure shitters.

(Clearly we need to force mentors to play heads for a certain number of rounds per month or risk losing mentor /S)

Plus being a good head requires a completely different set of skills, you gotta develop them by playing them, the absolute minimum is not very high and perhaps needs to be communicated when spawning in.

2 Likes

Magistrate’s a pretty bad job, I assume you’re talking about the NT Rep and internal affairs agents.

Which actually might be good, as dedicated people to informing people of SoP through an IC manner.

There’s a bit of a code issue where faxes are unportable due to them having bad code, plus our paper code is very different, they pretty much have to be rewritten, at least partially.

I’d play Head of Personnel much more if 75% of the time I didn’t also have to play captain.
Shits stressful.

4 Likes

this is kinda getting derailed from a det discussion to a command one

2 Likes

I think we could revisit the idea of the detective beacons that Victor and some other player tried to port a couple of months ago, at least that way the detective has different kits to choose from so he can properly engage on a situation (even one for greenshifts could be nice) while still keeping the default noir as a choice

I want to be a detective to solve puzzles, not to valid hunt or be ordered to valid hunt by shit command.
I would LOVE having more flexibility to detectives. I think the spyglasses kit is new and it looks great to play around with
//also, fix Box where detectives can’t access their lathe, pretty please

6 Likes

We need detective to be this, I’d rather be playing the ss13 version of La Noire than grabbing a revolver and blasting every valid in sight

2 Likes

Just pick the peace keeper pistol and tell people not to associate you with shitsec because of your pistol name.
best to do this AFTER you wasted 2 more revolver cylinders on someone in crit

It’s called roleplay

Regular co2 SM will give a two in one!

I haven’t seen anyone royally fuck up a co2 sm that bad without it being on purpose.

In theory yes, but as you say “if sec is good.”

Sec is never good. The whole chaotic aspect of the game comes from sec having a limited amount of people to deal with a variety of station threats. I almost never see normal sec officers take a forensic scanner because they never have the time, and even then the whole forensics thing is made further useless by the fact security officers routinely just arrest people with the only proof being “I saw them do it.” There is a niche that the detective’s forensic scanner fills as he already has it at round start and has no reason to get rid of it, so if it actually is needed because say two people were fighting with a gun on the floor and are accusing eachother of being a traitor he can find out who is lying.

if only this could reasonably happen.

Sometimes you get killed by slimes/grav anomalies so you can’t maintain the sm anymore.

I agree that the detective’s gun either needs to go or be totally reworked, but I also think the forensic scanner is kind of overpowered, in a powergame-y ease-of-use kind of way. You just wave it around infront of some evidence and get a full read of every fibre, fingerprint and DNA sample connected to it. I think CEV Eris had a great idea with the forensic kit (this could have come from another server, I dunno). Every piece of information had its own associated tool: powder for fingerprints, tweezers for fibres, cotton swabs for blood/DNA, with all of the collected data needing to be analysed back at HQ before spitting out any useful info. This means that investigating even a single crime takes time and care, rather than quick click on everything vaguely relevant to the situation at hand. You could even carry over all the improved tools like Luminol, which lets you pick up blood samples even after they’ve been washed away. I suppose all the added busy work could be considered a pretty major nerf to detective, but more time spent actually having to do detective work means less time being tempted to go full bad-cop. You could even limit officers just printing their own tools by locking the whole kit behind a somewhat pricey cargo purchase.

This would be a pretty extreme change to make, but I think it would do a lot to curb a good chunk of the problems you guys have with detective. Also any excuse to gush about how criminally underrated CEV Eris is fine by me.

EDIT: Sorry for necroing.

3 Likes

Bay Forensics(Sorry Eris Didn’t Come up with this). I’m seriously considering porting them.

I may even give Detective the ability to see washed away blood from a distance like bay has with maxed out forensics skill.

My biggest problem with detective is that it makes no sense for them to be lower on the hierarchy than a regular security guard or even a deputy.

Sec guard or a deputy can arrest perps, detective is suppoused to just sorta look at them funny.

This is a 180 from how it works in real life where detective is a role you get promoted to AFTER being a beat cop and it also introduces bias against picking detective when the server is low on population.

3 Likes

Lock detective behind a few hours as a sec officer.

2 Likes

Don’t do that, it’ll promote the idea that det is a fancy sec officer and he isn’t. Lock it behind lawyer, and make lawyers do their jobs. Even then, there’s massive problems with the lawyer concept.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, make the detective not a Nanotrasen employee. He should have 0 legal authority and be wholly bound to Spacepol’s space law. He’s an outside consultant NT has agreed to bring onto the station to ensure cooperation with Spacepol’s guidelines. If he arrests someone, that’s for Spacepol and not for NT. This could lead to some interesting roleplay conundrums and add some serious stakes if the det decides to try to enforce laws on corp property.

Edit - This also lets the det keep a lot of his Noir/Cop vibe, and he could even wind up in a situation where he has to abandon his post to help catch Waldo and stuff.

2 Likes