Post-mortem Memory

Why do we remember everything surrounding our death? As it stands right now you can get stabbed to death, then the second you are out of crit in medbay you can blurt out “________ KILLED ME!!!”

Why is it this way? Death should be serious. The only exception to this is cloning where you don’t remember five minutes before your death.

I think if we had a similar memory loss rule in place for revivals other than cloning it would be good for the server. Now instead of a gamer round removing you because you saw something you shouldn’t have, they can kill you once and the problem is solved. It probably wouldn’t solve the antag-sec round removal pipeline on it’s own since gamers see security as a threat to be removed but I think it would help.especially if revival wasn’t piss easy and fast

I could talk about this a lot more but I am hung over and lazy so I’ll stop here but I think it’s something that should be considered.

7 Likes

Should have always been this way, and the vast majority of respectable folks treat this as the case anyway in my experience.

Those that don’t however, are probably going to be blindsided for a bit. If this changes in rules, there should be a code change to accompany it with some sort of large message about remembering nothing upon revival.

Changing this will heavily disincentivize round removal, and also remove the pressure to feel it’s mandatory to do so.

7 Likes

wait… this isnt already the case? Cloning has been mindwipe for a while now but I thought any death stopped you remebering who killed you… starting at the point the conflict started for gameplay reasons so you can go back to your role…
I assumed this was the case due to cloning not really being used any more other than severe cases (gibbed, torn appart, long death timer)

Waking up from being dead for 20 min and instantly shouting “X KILLED ME” is pretty cringe and just makes antags need to RR or some shitter calls you out…

Seen it a few times in med a while ago and maybe once recently? forgot if they were crit or dead tbh… guess its making a resurgance

4 Likes

Memory of your death is only hazy when cloned, per rules.
If revived by means other than cloning, there is no rule that says you can’t immediately blurt out the exact details of your attacker.

This is why it’s easy to think it is a rule.

4 Likes

it really should be then… cloning is near obsolete and will barely come up anymore. Just inspires bad faith gameplay on both sides… “Just because you can-”

4 Likes

Big thinks right here, it would be a detective buff. Now you would actually have to investigate a death rather than just wait for them to be revived. Use the med scanner program in your PDA no one remembers, scan the body to check for fibers and all that.

4 Likes

Just had a round where someone in medbay popped up from the stasis bed and immediately yelled “_______ killed me! Security!!!”. We live in a society.

2 Likes

Changing this will heavily disincentivize round removal, and also remove the pressure to feel it’s mandatory to do so.

That will certainly help the accidental witnesses that get killed to not be RR’d however most RR are usually players going the extra mile to fullfill their Assassinate Mission, specially the ones that use BS Bags, most notably Heretics(rework will prevent this)

That’s why most people were talking the other day for the objective to be along the lines of “Assassinate X once”

1 Like

generally I tend to pretend the memory is hazy but give vague details

Like: “I remember a moth…and an airlock… then I was freezing…then darkness!” or something along those line, I like this best RP wise. I basically pretend to remember almost nothing if cloned usually.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.