Appearance ban
Ban Length:
Permanent
Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/):
2022/11/30
Round ID:
Can’t remember and it’s not posted.
Ban Reason:
“Banned from Roles: Appearance permanently - Props to you for telling me first, but you still DC’d without us solving your name issue. Come to the forums to work out a policy-compliant name and we’ll get this removed ASAP”
Appeal Reason:

• IPC: Robotic Acronyms or Model identification numbers consisting of 4-10 Numbers, letters and hyphens. Human names are not appropriate for IPCs.
  • All races: Are forbidden from having titles, nicknames and honorifics in their character name. This means “Dr” is not your first name and quoted nicknames don’t go in the middle of official IDs

The name in question was “SM-SS-412 ‘Gumshoe’”. While, yes, this is sort of a nickname, it’s less of a nickname and more of the name given to the IPC unit in question. SM-SS-412 is the IPC’s serial number (Shellguard Munitions - Standard Series - unit 412), and its given name is Gumshoe because it’s a security model and gumshoe is synonymous with detective.
The point was made by Llol111 that Gumshoe could be changed to an acronym, which seems… Well, fairly impractical, considering that acronyms are supposed to be acronyms and that means I would have to assign a word to every letter in the word Gumshoe.
To further my own case, I offer that the concept of assigning a machine, let alone a sapient one, a human name is not that foreign a concept. We assign names to non-sentient things all the time, from anything to toasters to literal atomic bombs intended to be used one time. Assigning an IPC a name based on its traits is not a far-fetched concept and not one that I feel needs the attention of an admin.
If it’s that much of a problem to give a robot a humanish name, I guess I’ll cave in and capitalize the name, but it’s my strong opinion that a pointless acronym is more immersion-breaking than a NT-constructed robot with a human name.

1 Like

You’re describing a nickname.

You’ve already saved me the effort of qouting the relevant policy, so surely you see that “SM-SS-412 ‘Gumshoe’” (with or without the ’ ’ ) is not policy compliant, yes?

Nah its not that hard, just get creative

G.U.M.S.H.O.E
Generic Unsavory Midline Security Helper Operations Ensign

Is that a good acronym? Nah, its quite shit actualy. Thats besides the point though, you’re not supposed to put that long ass thing into your name, or even remember it neccarily.

G.U.M.S.H.O.E would be a fine name for an IPC
SM-SS-412 would be too
SM-SS-412 G.U.M.S.H.O.E a bit eeeeh due to length imo, but also probabbly fine if you realy want both.
SM-SS-412 ‘Gumshoe’ isnt.

(or you can just choose something entirely diffrent, its up to you of course)

Counterpoint: Alexa, artificial intelligence with a human name.

Post cant be empty

Is there any defined reasoning behind this decision?

The reasoning is that robots should have names that sound like they’re a robot.
Amazon named their PA device “alexa” to make it sound less like a computer and humanize it, which is the opposite of what we want for IPCs.

1 Like

I feel like having the serial number/model or whatever is more than enough to make it abundantly clear that it’s not human. Also, the acronym spelling out a human name is still humanization.

Listen man, i was being considerate and tryna explain the policy to you.
Realy this isnt up for debate.

If you insist. Who do I complain to to get the policy changed?

Me

Or fresh, our other headmin

Neat, where do I complain to you at?

For suggestions of policy changes you can oppen a thread in the suggestions category of the forums.
If you feel that policy as it already is currently has been violated, then it’d be a staff report in that respective sections of the forums, but thats not the case here so suggestions it’d be.

You do also still have to pick a new name so we can get that ban lifted, though.
Unless you’re cool with playing randoms, i suppose.

I guess I’ll just not play with the gumshoe bit at all, since apparently it’s either turn it into a garbage acronym or remove it.

Aight, sounds good to me :+1:

it can still be your nickname as part of the character mind you, it just dosnt go into your name as its recorded on your offical company ID