'Other' Gender Option

Are IPC’s marked with particular pronouns when examined?

1 Like

Is Clown a gender?

3 Likes

byond has

hehim
sheher
theythem
itits

1 Like

See they/them option “may work” but honestly as clown said people will still say he or she. Even with Ipc I say he. If I see a male I say he, if I see female I say she. This feels like it’s going to be a future situation of “use proper pronouns for the 1% of bee station players or be banned for bullying.” Honestly add it if ya code it right! But I don’t think it’ll change much friend.

4 Likes

Just port citadel character creator at this point

3 Likes

My concern as well. It’s a topic where only one side of the argument is allowed to express their opinions without being silenced.

5 Likes

Will check next time I see an IPC.
Update: It seems IPC’s do have genders.

This would be a very nice change.
Doesn’t affect much, shouldn’t take any adjustment time. And anyone who bullies gets a boot. EZ mode.

2 Likes

seems my concern is already becoming true… “And anyone who bullies gets a boot. EZ mode.”

5 Likes

i feel like i need to point out that this is an entirely mechanical/code discussion
Bullying and harrasment is already banned and some random spessman being called “they” instead of the normal options isnt changing that
Going out of your way to harras people and pick on then for no good IC reason is stinky and bad. This is not changeing.
Making mistakes and such is human and also generaly a non issue. Targeted attack and such are serious issues. This is not changeing.
We’re all here to play nice and have fun. Noone wants to play in a toxic shithole. (or if you do, why’re you here anyways?) This is not changeing.
But we’re also not going to do ridicoulous things and go 1984 on anyone that dosnt shiftclick evryone to check their gender before speaking, thats rediculous.
Just dont be an asshole.

9 Likes

Thanks for clearing the air

Once the infrastructure is in place, administration changes over time, I have little doubt it will escalate to absurdity. It only took 4 comments to get to ban threats over the very issue mentioned, coming straight from an admin.

Its not a ban threat to remind people that we already punish people who bully or harass.

3 Likes

If such a hypothetically bad administration capable of enforcing such a policy existed I think pronouns would be the least of your worries.

Bear in mind that you will probably have to also change parts of genetics and xenobio to accommodate this change. If you can fix that, go ahead.

2 Likes

shows up on a suggestions thread about adding a single feature to character customization
starts complaining about some slippery slope nonsense and a ban threat that didn’t even fucking happen

My good sir, it’s a character customization option, what are you even on about

5 Likes

all of SS13 was written with m/f in mind, because byond has a hardcoded concept of gender due to being written in the 90’s for actual children. We have incredibly useful helper procs for pronouns, located in pronouns.dm for displaying pronouns in grammatically correct contexts.

As other people have said, this is very much a “when you code it/port it” thing. I don’t think anyone is realistically against it, I’m just indifferent and all of our current contributors don’t feel the desire to dedicate their time to it.

5 Likes

Just going to parrot what everyone else has been saying. Anyone is more than welcome to port this over, it’s just not super high on our priority list at the moment. This should be a fairly easy thing to migrate, so, if anyone was looking for a decent first PR to get their feet wet; there ya go.

7 Likes

Correct.

My character, FNR-909, has always been female. They have always shown the text, “She is wearing the Engineering Jumpsuit” or the like.

It really hasn’t changed the mindset of people calling every IPC with male pronouns, due to the poor sexual dimorphism.

Frankly, I have given up on correcting it and my character views it as inconsequential.

1 Like

IPC’s were created by humans and spend all their time around humans, so it’s not far fetched that they would also “copy” human behavior/culture/whatever.

If you are spouting your opinions repeatedly with the intent to harass other people, forcibly change their mind, or as you so put it “bully” them then yes that would be enforced.

AFAIK we will never enforce calling pronouns or anything ridiculous like this. As has been stated above male pronouns are generally defaulted to and I do this myself as well, and works fine/skill issue. Reminding you that moths m/f are indistinguishable as are several other races, and humans are only barely noticeable if they have a funny hairstyle.

However harassment and purposefully abusing other players will never be tolerated just as it is not now.

This seems like a pointless suggestion to me and I would propose just removing male/female from the game entirely and doing whatever as it doesn’t really affect gameplay apart from curb stomp and as an RP issue can be dealt with IC as RP ( the ideal solution ). But then it doesn’t affect me. And if what other people do, or claim things about, with what’s between their legs bothers you that much the problem is on your side.

1 Like