Oozeling naming scheme addition idea

the idea is quite simple, instead of only having the suffix"-son" for last name, add more patronyms, either allow most of them(that are surname) or add more

some that I find fitting are:
the Russian “-ov” or “-vich”
the polish “-owicz”

might also allow prefixes like the Norman “fitz-” or Gaelic “mac-”

I don’t know but it’s kind of weird that apparently all oozelings come from English or Swedish scientists

7 Likes

My name is Ruko and I approve this message :tm:

The naming wasn’t intended to be 1:1 inheritance, it was supposed to be taken directly as “child of”

Viridian Ellison was created by Hugh Ellis.
Ellison, son of Ellis.

2 Likes

I’m just going to use this now.

Well as it stands now it’d break the rules, but I certainly hope this proposal goes through.

1 Like

You could make the argument that it means the same thing- but seeing how anal the admemes are about the dumb rule, you’re probably right.

1 Like

this entire thread exists so people could possible use these names without worry about admins getting angry

3 Likes

Oozelings don’t need naming stuff added to them, they need it to be rewritten because the current one kinda sucks

The whole name system needs to be reworked or removed

3 Likes

Generally, I don’t think the naming system is that bad. I do agree that it needs some expansion, so that its more nuanced. I think Felinids could use something more interesting.

As far as Oozelings go, I do think they need more potential variety on the “child of X” aspect. I remember there being some admin nonsense regarding “dottir” as a suffix for female oozelings. I wouldnt mind more variations, so they arent all just “son”. Different versions of the same idea could be applied from various language and country naming schemes, but all with the same basis of being “child of”. I don’t know how well that would work, I’m not really a naming expert.

I also think Oozelings could use something like moths and lizards. A second naming archetype. Oozeling are created in a lab at the moment, and the naming convention reflects that, as they adopt the name of their creator as part of their last name, with a color as their first. I think it would be neat for there to be some naturally occurring oozelings, with their own naming conventions. What those conventions would be is up in the air. It would probably take some brainstorming.

1 Like

Felinids could just take the FFXIV Miquo’te naming schemes to be honest, it’ll add variety to names for sure if we go that route, and make it easier to distinguish over the radio (and for antag objectives to communicate clear weaknesses to exploit)

I remember trying to make an ozzeling character with the Mc/Mac surname but got told off for it so it’s just another oozeling character down the drain (pun intended)

I wasn’t allowed it so unless the guildlines chance they probably won’t do that let’s be real then I doubt you’ll be seeing any sons of Ooze around.

Personally anything that allows a little leeway for naming on Beestation is a good thing and should be approved.

1 Like

People have been reported for using -dottir which is absolute comedy. This is what happens when people follow “guidelines” to the letter tho… so to be expected.

When things are so strict around here, why aren’t you writing these down inside the rules page? That -son isnt the only viable name…?

2 Likes

I have to agree, as someone who has been enjoying the open ended nature of the moth naming conventions. While I am all for slapping people who do meme names, or put human names on shit like lizards or plasma men, there needs to be more variety. The answer to people wanting to expand naming structures isnt to shoot them down, its to work with them and make some more viable names. the Mac-, and -dottir, issue is a huge example of this. People are taking the concept and expanding upon it. Its not breaking the naming style, its making it more varied and interesting.

2 Likes

Open to the idea, the problem is that it’d be difficult to expect any admin to know all of the different (pseudo-)patronyms. The reason why -son is the current standard is because it’s really easy to remember and enforce from an administrative perspective. Does that make it a bit more limiting than we’d otherwise like? Yes. Could it be improved? Absolutely.

I think the better approach is likely going to be the adoption of the other two Icelandic suffixes -bur (non-binary “child of”) and -dottir (“daughter of”). Or just switching entirely to “non-binary suffixes” like -bur. It’s been floated around, but a lot of the delay in making any changes honestly comes down to pedantry with regards to suffix usage, how they’re used in other similar languages, and ensuring that we aren’t misappropriating the scheme. It has admittedly led to wasted time and I can shoulder some of the blame on that.

2 Likes

I don’t see how limiting it even further would be conducive. That works for ethereals because they are their own species.
Also

Oozelings are the direct offspring of humans and apparently have borrowed human genetic code according to (frankly underdeveloped) lore.

It’d be safe to say that sexual dimorphism would occur then as they are mutated from an androgynous slime base into a non-singular one after the implementation of the new characteristics.

The reason people want the differentiation in the first place is for inclusivity. Switching to a small set of neutral suffixes would add variety while addressing the issue.

It’d be the same sort of impact as adding the two missing suffixes, except it’d be entirely neutral to the creator’s origin.

It’s just another option to look into, was all I was saying.

I’m sure that this isnt entirely untrue, but I think people also just want to be able to differentiate their oozelings from the others. Obviously, having a female oozeling be named -son is weird, but having any other suffix choices would be nice. We know why the suffix is chosen, so it makes sense that similar suffixes would be available.

This is the main issue currently, and I think it could be resolved fairly easily. Obviously the admins aren’t going to know all the suffixes off of the top of their heads. But the community here is glad to mention of the potential suffixes. Maybe just compile a list of suffixes, slap them into the oozeling naming rules wiki page, and have the ones on there be the ones that can be used. I’m not saying add every variation from every culture and language, but having more than one would go a long way. Even the adaptation of the other two icelandic options would be huge for oozelings. Anything so their names are less samey.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.