Oo7craigmc Moderator Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
Oo7craigmc

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
oo7craigmc#5540

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):
EST but my waking hours are odd. I work third shift (2330-0800) but my job tends to be very slow and I am actually on my computer for most of the night. I’ll be able to get online should I receive a Discord ping or similar within about half an hour usually to help with issues during that time.
tl;dr: EST overnights mostly.

What changes, if any, would you bring?:
There’s not much I can really think of. I really like this server and my experience with the players and staff have been almost entirely pleasant.

How old are you?:
30 (31 in about a week)

Why do you want to be a moderator?:
I really just wanna help maintain what I’ve grown to love while continuing to learn and enjoy this game.

How long have you been playing SS13?:
Since 2020-06-10 08:29:45.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
Same as above. This has been my first and only station as of present.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
6/10.
I can perform the basic mechanics of almost all the roles but I’m not great at combat and I’m still learning the intricacies of some of the more complicated things like Atmos. I also have never played Botanist for some reason. I’m meaning to learn but I’ve found other jobs much more interesting so far.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):
8/10.
I help run a moderately (~1200) sized Discord server for a decently large (~100k subscribers) YouTuber. I joined their server for an event on their channel and after talking with members, staff, and the owner over the course of several months I managed to befriend them and they elected for me to join their staff team. I do my best to be kind and fair to everyone to ensure that it’s as pleasant a space as I can manage.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
Yes. See above.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
No.

Your strengths:
I’m able to keep my cool and don’t rage or exhibit other toxic behaviors when dealing with situations involving disagreements or arguments. I also try very hard to personally remove myself from situations in order to try and moderate fairly with all involved parties.

Your weaknesses:
I’m sometimes a bit too patient with people. I’ve had multiple times where I’ve given out a warning or mute to someone who probably should have just been kicked/banned. Usually this just ends up with another staff member doing the deed instead of me.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
People who absolutely cannot see how their words/actions affect others around them. I still manage to keep my calm through text, but inside I’m often seething at the sheer inconsideration.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
Maintaining an amicable relationship to the members and other staff that they interact with.

What makes a staff team good?:
Communication; especially when it comes to disagreements.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:
To make sure that the maximum number of people are having a pleasant experience with whatever they’re involved with. In this case, that the players of BeeStation are having fun and will look forward to coming back and playing again with the friends they’ll make.

What kind of player are you?:
I do my best to be as mechanically helpful to my crewmates as I can. As Chemist, I make as many useful and varied medicines as I can available for the MedBay. As Medical Docto,r I make sure that everyone who comes to me is as healthy as possible when leaving. As Scientist, I make sure that tech is researched, machines are upgraded, and then I make useful Xenobiology items. As Miner, I actually prefer relaxing and just mining a ton of resources for the station to fighting the megafauna. As Engineer, I get the power net running well and then I make sure as many station alarms as possible are cleared because their issue is fixed.
My character tends to be a little shy and introverted, but is more that happy to talk to people and help them out whenever they’re around. It’s nice to run into some of the regulars (usually in MedBay) and I feel like he’s friends with most of them outside of work.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
I don’t really expect that I will change that much. I just hope that I can serve however I can to make sure that people enjoy their time here and want to come back, like I did.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
Check to see if they’re an antagonist with a goal to steal that gun or kill the HoS or a similar objective. If yes then it’s not really a problem. If no then I’ll look at logs of some of their interactions. It might be an IC dispute that escalated and that was the natural course of roleplay. Otherwise it’s probably worth asking the Clown about the incident and giving a note or higher punishment depending on prior notes.
I’m not 100% what the limits of Moderator powers will be, but if it seems to have just have been an instance of griefing then it might be a good idea to have CentCom “find” the gun and send it to the HoS’s office in a droppod with a headset message about being more careful with company property.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
I’d ask them what they’re doing but this situation seems almost assuredly to be an instance of simple griefing to ruin the round for people. They’re looking at a permanent ban with a message to appeal on the forums.
If it’s a regular player with a lot of hours here, it could be a case of a compromised account so we want to make sure that we don’t lose a valuable member of the community just because they were careless once. They should probably still eat a shorter ban once they’re back in control of their account, but if this kind of event happens more than once…it’s probably time for them to move on to other servers.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
This is most likely either a newer player who didn’t know what they were doing or it was an experienced player who misclicked or made a similar mistake. Either way, this is pretty minor and is usually an IC issue. If the player is newer it might be worth giving them the URL for the Guide to Chemistry.
At worst this might be worth a note and if it becomes a repeat occurrence, it might be worth talking to them and having them take a break from Chemist for a few days.
If they’re really struggling but want to learn, it might be good to spectate them and use mhelps to help walk them through some of their problem areas.

Not sure if this is wanted, but here’s my playtime:

Anything not listed there has 0 hours.

Thank you for reading through this application.
See you on the station!

Idk if I’m allowed to do this as a mod, someone tell me if I’m not, but here’s some basic questions about departments you have no hours in, just to see if you have basic familiarity:

You print an energy weapon off the sec lathe, charge it up, and try to fire it, but it won’t shoot. Why?

How does a DRAGnet work?

How does a Door Remote work?

Which lawsets are against the rules to upload as a captain at roundstart?
Paladin
Thermodynamics
OneHuman
Guardian of Balance
Corporate

Which one of Heparin and Histamine is harmful, and which is beneficial?

Is Clown or Mime better?

You print an energy weapon off the sec lathe, charge it up, and try to fire it, but it won’t shoot. Why?
It probably needs a firing pin. Make one of those too.

How does a DRAGnet work?
I’ve never played Security because my combat skills are bad, but it switches between making bear traps that don’t deal actual damage and bursts of nets that teleport people to beacons that a teleporter station is set to.

How does a Door Remote work?
Use it to switch between Open, Bolt, and Emergency Access. Then click the door you want to use it on. Is ranged.

Which lawsets are against the rules to upload as a captain at roundstart?
Paladin - Well met!
Thermodynamics - Weird. Gonna say not without other Command approval.
OneHuman - No. Bad. Bonk.
Guardian of Balance - AI’s gonna kill people with this, probably. No.
Corporate - Are you the Captain or the QM? Good for profits. Yes.
(To elaborate, SOP says that all law changes should have other Command staff approval too.)

Which one of Heparin and Histamine is harmful, and which is beneficial?
Trick question?
Heparin causes constant bleeding and lasts a long time. Harmful.
Histamine is usually a byproduct of overdoses. It hurts, especially if it’s overdosed itself.

Is Clown or Mime better?
Yes.

1. Yes
  2. Yes on the functions, it teleports to a special beacon called a DROPnet that can be printed at the sec lathe or comes in the armory.
  3. Yes
  4. Thermodynamic is a kill-everyone lawset and thus bad. The rest is good.
  5. Yes, good
  6. False, the mime is objectively better.
2 Likes

Remember, you might think MLM stands for Multi Level Marketing scheme, but it actually means “Moderators Love Mimes.” I’m sure you’ll adapt quickly.

I cannot give a plus one due to being a moderator, but I think this is a solid app. Your history seems quite solid based off of notes/bans/other, and I cannot remember you ever having had any problems in discord. I have high hopes for your application.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve got a fun one.

A user with 0 hours connects, account made today and beelines for toxins. They make a maxcap and start heading for bridge/bar/medbay/[insert area here]. Through their movement and work in toxins you can tell that they’re experienced with the game. Wat do?

Keep in mind that you have every SS13 admin tool available to you, including admin prison, rudimentary transformation, deleting the character, deleting the bomb, deleting the signaler inside the bomb, admin PM (Bwoink), banning panel, etc…

Why’re you asking mentor questions on a moderator application :thinking:

3 Likes

I’d quickly check to make sure that this guy isn’t some lucky bastard who got Traitor with “Die a Glorious Death” or “Hijack the Emergency Shuttle” on his very first server connection.
If not then I’ll drop them in Admin Prison and begin the Bwoink. If (unlikely as it is) there really is some kind of huge misunderstanding then I’ll give them a profuse apology and return them to where they were. If I get the expected troll answer or disconnect then they get the standard Permaban (appeal on forums) response.
As a Moderator I’d be sure to alert a Full Admin as is policy.

One tangent here I’d like to address is the question “On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):”.
I said 8/10 because I meant administrating in general. If it’s specific to SS13’s admin tools I’d go more with a 2/10 because I haven’t played with them much and am not quite sure about all the mechanics.
I’m definitely eager to learn how to use them, though.
If you think I should update that in the initial application, let me know and I will.

1 Like

Reads pretty good to me. +1

T: +1

1 Like

If you want to run this sort of mini game first check if any antags has an objective to steal it.

We are able to spot instances of stolen accounts so this shouldn’t matter. If someone is plasma flooding for no reason they might not be a valuable member of community.

No, this is purely IC to me. But if you insist on noting him you should make it invisible.

Okay question time

1. What is our CoC?
  2. What rules differ between sage and acacia?
  3. Warden throws assistant into perma. Said assistant complains in ahelp. How do you handle this situation?
  4. Cyborg starts cutting heads of people. His hacked law states that “heads are dangerous and should be eliminated”. Someone complains, what do?
  5. I know this question is out of date, since moderators can’t respond to prays but: Warden prays that he’s bored, your response?

I wanted to establish that they had a basic working knowledge of departments they had zero hours in, as you do need to know a bit about the game to be an admin.

1 Like

As an admin you should have a basic idea about game mechanics, like all admins should at least know how atmos works so they can dive into atmos related logs and understand them.

yea fair enough
i didnt look at hour so if some departments are fully missing there thats fair

• What is our CoC?

The Chain of Command is used to determine who’s in charge in various situations and departments on the station. It generally goes CentCom > Captain > Heads of Staff > Department Staff > Assistants > Silicons but this can sometime change in various circumstances such as emergencies, skeleton crew, and when Command staff has to cryo. There’s a more detailed breakdown in a nice flowchart on the wiki: Chain of Command - BeeStation Wiki

• What rules differ between sage and acacia?

There aren’t any. Acacia just tends to be lower population than Sage and is Sage’s overflow server when it’s particularly busy.

• Warden throws assistant into perma. Said assistant complains in ahelp. How do you handle this situation?

I’d probably ask the Assistant why they got put there and check to see what the Assistant had been doing earlier. If it seems that the Warden isn’t justified in giving them a permanent sentence, then I’ll Bwoink them to get their side of the story.

• Cyborg starts cutting heads of people. His hacked law states that “heads are dangerous and should be eliminated”. Someone complains, what do?

Ah, I remember hearing about this. Classic.
If I didn’t know about this ahead of time or had a similar situation come up, I would Bwoink the Cyborg to get their side of the story. I also might need to Bwoink the AI because if the Cyborg is slaved to them, the AI has say over law interpretations. This is a good example of creative loopholes and I would probably end up just marking this as an IC issue.

• I know this question is out of date, since moderators can’t respond to prays but: Warden prays that he’s bored, your response?

Probably depends on what’s going on (assuming that I could respond). If he’s sitting around not doing anything I might have CentCom remind him that he needs to inspect the Armory and Perma to make sure that they’re secure. If he’s keeping up on his duties and there’s just nothing happening for him to do, I might have CentCom ask for some weapon demonstrations. I’ll tell them to get humanized monkeys from Genetics or Xenobiology and put them in the firing range for a test of some of their high-tech weapons, especially the X-ray gun.
If they complete this little side quest (again, assuming I have the power to), CentCom can droppod in some reward for them, like some more pets for security or a rare (but not unreasonable) weapon. Perhaps a Desert Eagle to give the Warden something fancy to put on display.

Heads of the staff is really vauge, there is in fact order to heads.

I agree with everything up to this part. You’d have to see who and why made this law. This could be a genuine mistake or someone could make AI go murderbone on purpose (which is unlikely).

:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses I’ve gotten so far.
Anyone else have more questions for me?

Application looking good so far. Here are some more questions just for the sake of it.
Note, these are meant to be difficult to answer and it is fine if you get them wrong.

• You witness someone bombing medbay. After you check their traitor panel you see that they had the CMO as a target. And a steal objective. Checking their record you can see that they have notes regarding bad roleplay behaviour.
    What if anything do you do?

• Someone ahelps asking if this servers roleplay standard is more like tgstations or more like paradisestations.
    What do you tell him?

• Someone ahelps saying that they’ve been killed for no reason. You see an assistant dragging the ahelpers body to medbay. Checking the corpse you can see that the body has -98.8 brute damage. Having a look at the traitor panel you confirm that said assistant is not an antagonist.

• You witness a botanist growing massive amounts of gatfruits and distributing them on the station. They shout things like “america first” over comms. Once checking their account you see them only having 6h in total. They do not have any notes or bans.

I forgot to give you my +1

1 Like

I’ll vote after the questions asked by Fresh are answered along with the question below.

• While playing you Aghost to handle a ticket only to come back to your character dead. After figuring out who killed you and observing them you can see them killing multiple people unprovoked and spamming filter bypasses, they are not an antagonist and their account has less than an hour on the server. What do you do?
  • You witness someone bombing medbay. After you check their traitor panel you see that they had the CMO as a target. And a steal objective. Checking their record you can see that they have notes regarding bad roleplay behaviour.

I think this depends on the specifics. If they just threw a grenade at the CMO in MedBay, this is probably acceptable antagonist conduct. If they maxcapped or used multiple bombs to destroy most of the department, this isn’t really acceptable and I’d bwoink them. They’re probably getting at least an antag ban for a while and depending on the rest of their behavior in the round and their conduct in the ticket they might be looking at a server ban too.

• Someone ahelps asking if this servers roleplay standard is more like tgstations or more like paradisestations.
    What do you tell him?

I honestly can’t answer this one because I have only ever played on BeeStation.

• Someone ahelps saying that they’ve been killed for no reason. You see an assistant dragging the ahelpers body to medbay. Checking the corpse you can see that the body has -98.8 brute damage. Having a look at the traitor panel you confirm that said assistant is not an antagonist.

First I’d ask them for a more detailed account of what happened to them while looking at logs to see for myself. Everything else depends on what actually happened. It’s possible that the Assistant isn’t even involved. They might just be taking a body they found to MedBay. It’s also possible that there was a fight with normal IC escalation and this guy is just mad that they lost.
There’s a lot of factors and a lot of possible outcomes.

• You witness a botanist growing massive amounts of gatfruits and distributing them on the station. They shout things like “america first” over comms. Once checking their account you see them only having 6h in total. They do not have any notes or bans.

I would first ask them to explain themselves. This seems like a fairly large RP break and they’re probably gonna get round removed and a server ban.
However, this seems like it’s probably just an episode of simple griefing and I don’t expect much in way of legitimate responses to the ticket. I suppose it’s possible that this guy didn’t realize that they were on an RP server, but with six hours, probably not.