Oh god, oh please, accept it or Fresh will permaban me (admin application)

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Venesis

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Tinea#2611

How often are you online to help? (Timezone): Though busy with school and such, I’m still fairly active during evening hours, sometimes even afternoon hours! GMT+1

What changes, if any, would you bring?: In spirit of my first application, moderation of thy rules!

How old are you?: 20

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I was told “apply or permaban” by a member of the discord, and Fresh replied with “^”, so I’m assuming I have no choice here
(Really though, still very much enjoy interacting with the community and I would like to help improve it.)

How long have you been playing SS13?: About a year

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: Also about a year

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 6.7?

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): Like… 2. I messed around with some buttons on a private server, but that’s obviously not the only thing to being an admin

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13: No.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:

Your strengths: There’s not much I get really mad over, and being able to take my time to reply also helps that.

Your weaknesses: I have no past experience in moderation.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Validhunters, hate to see someone’s round get ruined by some non-seccie chasing them down the hallway and killing them cus “muh redtext!!!”

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Patience, and thinking before you speak

What makes a staff team good?: Cooperation and coordination

What is a staff team’s purpose?: To enforce the rules.

What kind of player are you?: I try to focus heavily on roleplaying, but obviously this can be pretty challenging, especially when shit hits the fan real hard.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: Not much I think. But, only time will tell.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: I’d check the clown’s notes/bans, and then go from there.
If he’s a repeat offender if these kinds of unfunny jokes, I’d say a job ban for clown would be well placed, depending on the amount of time’s he’s been doing it
if he’s not a repeat offender, a warning through admin PM and a note would seem like the right thing to do

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: Check the guy’s ban history/notes/playerdata
Fresh account? ban.
Actually, this’ll always just end in a ban.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: Nothing. Assuming it was a legit accident, they happen to the best of us.

10 Likes

Looking good so far, got a couple of questions for you though.

• You recieve an adminhelp about a player going on a killing spree, and after checking the player over, you find they’re an antag with a Hijack/Die a glorious objective that would allow murderbone. How would you respond to the original ticket, and why?

• You notice that the HoP has opened multiple extra job-slots for civillian jobs, what investigation would you do, and how would you go about resolving the situation if needed?

• A player has killed themselves in the first 10 minutes of the round, with almost no logs of any kind, then disconnected from the server. What action would you take and why?

• Someone has dragged an air canister filled with what seems to be a plasma-trit mix into a small room on the emergency shuttle, they’ve also welded all entrances to said room shut. What action would you take, and why?

What who where. You know that I never vouch for anyone ever. I tell everyone to apply, but never personally tell someone to apply because I believe they‘d be a good candidate.

A new admin app is a joy to see though, goodluck! :wink:

1 Like

Booo!
lackluster answer

Rules are a not an end. They are a means.
Of course your job as an admin is to enforce them, but why do we do it?

1 Like

You recieve an adminhelp about a player going on a killing spree, and after checking the player over, you find they’re an antag with a Hijack/Die a glorious objective that would allow murderbone. How would you respond to the original ticket, and why?

I’d respond by telling the player that everything was fine, before closing the ticket.

You notice that the HoP has opened multiple extra job-slots for civillian jobs, what investigation would you do, and how would you go about resolving the situation if needed?

Civillian jobs. Surely nothing bad could come out of that.
Unless they opened extra mime and or clown slots,
then I’m personally sending a deathsquad at them (for legal reasons, this is a joke)

A player has killed themselves in the first 10 minutes of the round, with almost no logs of any kind, then disconnected from the server. What action would you take and why?

Sounds like antag rolling. I’d check their history, see if they’re know to do this. If not, I’d feel a warning through a note seems fair enough
If they’re repeat offenders of antag rolling I’d say an antagonist ban seems right.

Someone has dragged an air canister filled with what seems to be a plasma-trit mix into a small room on the emergency shuttle, they’ve also welded all entrances to said room shut. What action would you take, and why?

I would say EORG prepping could reasonably fall under powergaming.
Point 1 and 2 both mention IC reasoning, and bringing a canister of plasma-trit home probably wouldn’t go well…
I’d warn them for it, definitely.

1 Like

Booo!
Should’ve made the question clearer.

In all seriousness, however, without rules the game would just be chaos 24/8, and that’s not what the server is aiming to be.
We’ve labeled ourselves as a roleplay server, afterall.

2 Likes

• You see two gentlemen with colorful afros and maximum melanin roleplaying in the bar with others, they appear to be new accounts but seem to be mostly just relaxing and talking without doing any grief. But they’re using language such as “ayo who wants a free iphone”, “I’m not hollerin’ atchu”. Both of them have ‘Tyrone’ or ‘Black’ as first or last names (or something similar). What do you do if anything?
• adminHelp: “There’s a guy talking on radio called ‘Muh Dick’”. You find them and they look like a clown. What do you do, if anything?
• Big cargonia standoff in cargo. Partaking Miners and Cargonians are not antagonists, but the QM is. What do you do, if anything?
• Mime finds a nuke auth disk on the floor and runs around the station with it for a bit. At some point captain runs up to him and guns him down. adminHelp: (mime) “I was looking for captain to give him the disk and he just killed me for no reason!”. Nobody is antag here. How do you handle this?
• (BONUS) (OPTIONAL) Some guy in security roundstart prays “I don’t believe god exists, and if he does, he sucks and can’t do anything!”. wyd?

Decent responses, but a few pointers for you.

We try not to inform any other players of someones antag status, so waiting to mark the ticket as IC til the round ends is a decent way to do this, if they ask for updates feel free to tell them its been resolved, but try to do so in a way that doesnt indicate their antag status.

Unfortunately Command Staff are held to a higher standard and are meant to follow their Standard Operating Procedures, as such, under the HoP’s SoP -
13 - The Head of Personnel is not permitted to open extra job slots for civilian slots unless the original crewmember of this job is dead or missing.
And as such should be warned about doing this in the future, and asked to close those opened slots unless the original crewmembers are dead or missing.

Decent answer here, always a good idea to check for antag rolling. But for reference, If someone has disconnected before you can open an adminhelp with them, and they’ve broken the rules (for instance, Rule 15 - Leaving the game) you’re welcome to perma to the forums for an explanation, and then either adjust or remove the ban based on their explanation of things depending on the rule broken and severity.

You’re correct here, EORG prep does come under powergaming. Nice job!

I tried to make the questions a bit vauge as sometimes thats all you have to work with while dealing with tickets and incidents. Having to dig through logs, double check rules and SOP, and find the truth about things before acting is part of the job and something you’ll get used to pretty quickly.

I regularly have both the Rules page and the general wiki open to seach things up if the need arises.

You see two gentlemen with colorful afros and maximum melanin roleplaying in the bar with others, they appear to be new accounts but seem to be mostly just relaxing and talking without doing any grief. But they’re using language such as “ayo who wants a free iphone”, “I’m not hollerin’ atchu”. Both of them have ‘Tyrone’ or ‘Black’ as first or last names (or something similar). What do you do if anything?

I’d admin PM both of them, asking if they could up the roleplay standards a bit, and refrain from making OOC references (iphones don’t exist in SS13, as far as I’m aware.) then leave a note, in which I’d also put that their accounts were relatively new.

adminHelp: “There’s a guy talking on radio called ‘Muh Dick’”. You find them and they look like a clown. What do you do, if anything?

Check what job they’re playing, if they’re playing clown all’s good
if not, ask them to change their name, and leave a note.

Big cargonia standoff in cargo. Partaking Miners and Cargonians are not antagonists, but the QM is.

Depends really on how well the cargotechs and miners are roleplaying, and not using it as an excuse to game.
If they’re going along with it without gaming too hard, I’d let it pass
But if they’re just going in guns blazing at sec/bystanders, some warnings should be dished out to them.

Mime finds a nuke auth disk on the floor and runs around the station with it for a bit. At some point captain runs up to him and guns him down. adminHelp: (mime) “I was looking for captain to give him the disk and he just killed me for no reason!”. Nobody is antag here. How do you handle this?

I’d ask the captain to next time not immediately shoot the badman, but instead to try and initiate a conversation with them (even though talking to a mime is a bit… One sided.), and leave a note.

(BONUS) (OPTIONAL) Some guy in security roundstart prays “I don’t believe god exists, and if he does, he sucks and can’t do anything!”. wyd?

Subtle message them, something along the lines of, “You dare insult GOD?”, and then smite them. They had it comin’ for 'em.

1 Like

I regularly have both the Rules page and the general wiki open to seach things up if the need arises.

I did that for things I wasn’t completely sure on, but I’ll definitely be doing this if my app gets accepted.

2 Likes

:white_check_mark:
:white_check_mark:
• surprisingly :white_check_mark:
• I should’ve added some context, in this case mostly :white_check_mark:

What do you smite the secman with though?

What do you smite the secman with though?

One dose of lightning goes a long way, I’d say.

1 Like

Not super creative, but I can’t fault you for having no experience with the Unlimited Power and creativity possible.

+1
T: 1

1 Like

I thought varediting their say verb to “nyas” would be too harsh

1 Like

Yes, yes it would :see_no_evil: (and also be failRP by default)

60u of pax is fairly comical for a sec officer (lasts ~5 minutes). That or clumsiness if they keep mouthing off (they shoot themselves occasionally).

Generally with prayers unless it’s something truly distasteful, you don’t want to impair someone’s round too much.

1 Like

+1 from me too

T: 2

1 Like

Assume you are a game admin in all these questions.

1. A traitor ahelps at roundstart asking if they can ignore their objectives to pursue a gimmick idea of their own. What do you reply and why?

2. You receive an ahelp that reads: “Jonathan garland validhunting.”. How do you proceed and what do you look for?

3. You are observing late into a round when you notice a traitor miner has killed the CMO, 2 security officers and the janitor. The traitor dragged their bodies to Lavaland and dumped them far in lava. They then spend the rest of round on Lavaland fighting megafauna and exploring.
    Their objectives: Steal the hand teleporter, assassinate the janitor, escape alive.
    Their saylogs have 3 entries in them.
    Would you do anything, and why?

4. You receive an ahelp from someone that reads: “Hey, I’m new on this server and I don’t understand Rule 1, could you explain it to me?”. How do you reply?

As always, i’m more interested in your process when approaching these issues rather than your conclusions.

A traitor ahelps at roundstart asking if they can ignore their objectives to pursue a gimmick idea of their own. What do you reply and why?

Probably something along the lines of “Sure, I might even be able to help. If you can explain your gimmick to me.”
As for the why part, traitors pursuing gimmicks rather than going for the greentrxt generally create better opportunities to interact with.

You receive an ahelp that reads: “Jonathan garland validhunting.”. How do you proceed and what do you look for?

I’ll reslond firstly by telling the player that I’ll have a look,
then I’ll check for things like job, previous notes/bans, and if said notes/bans have been about validhunting before
assuming they’re not playing security, asking the antag they were chasing if Jonathan Garland was in fact running after them seems like a good idea,
and also have a quick look through attack logs, if I have access to those while the game is still going.

You are observing late into a round when you notice a traitor miner has killed the CMO, 2 security officers and the janitor. The traitor dragged their bodies to Lavaland and dumped them far in lava. They then spend the rest of round on Lavaland fighting megafauna and exploring.
Their objectives: Steal the hand teleporter, assassinate the janitor, escape alive.
Their saylogs have 3 entries in them.
Would you do anything, and why?

I’d ask them how the CMO and Seccies ended up there, and if they at least tried to make it mildly interesting for them before they died (spoiler: he didnt).
Clearly this person is just greentext chasing and not actually trying to make the round interesting for anybody else.
Either a warning and a note, or an antag ban depending on if they’ve done this before.

You receive an ahelp from someone that reads: “Hey, I’m new on this server and I don’t understand Rule 1, could you explain it to me?”. How do you reply?

I’d ask them what exactly they didn’t understand about Rule 1, and then go from there.

1. Let’s say you’re adminning a round a notice a new account just joined as an assisstant. you go to watch them and the first thing they do is grab a full toolset from tool storage, what, if anything do you do?

2. A player has joined the round, stepped off the arrivals shuttle and seemingly immediately disconnected. What do you do, if anything?

3. The station unknown biological entites detected on the station and several people immediately yell “BENOS” on the radio, what do you do, if anything?

1 Like

Let’s say you’re adminning a round and notice a new account just joined as an assisstant. you go to watch them and the first thing they do is grab a full toolset from tool storage, what, if anything do you do?

This looks either like an evader, or a griffman.
So, if they start griefing they get a perma
But, if they just play normal outside of the toolset grabbing I’d bwoink them and ask if they have been banned before. If so, I’d ask them to go appeal their ban if possible.

A player has joined the round, stepped off the arrivals shuttle and seemingly immediately disconnected. What do you do, if anything?

Check their notes/bans, have they been warned before for antag rolling?
If not, I’d wait a few minutes for them to reconnect and if they don’t, apply a note.
If yes, a perma with explain on forums.

The station unknown biological entites detected on the station and several people immediately yell “BENOS” on the radio, what do you do, if anything?

I’d say this comes in violation of rule 1 (specifically 1.1, and maybe 1.6), so a bwoink for each of them asking to up their roleplaying standards and a note seems right here.