New tool sprites are bad

this can be fixed easily, wich im already doing, asked for dropping the testmerge for now so i could do that.

its a different type of wrench, and its horizontal, but can make it diagonal again, if it bothers everyone.

the crowbar is set diagonally, hence that “gradient”, wich is shading. Already working on it since i got complaints about the size.

for welding tools, look up welding guns, used that as picture, and yes, do have tanks, they are the parts ontop of it, old one didnt even have them.

considering you can reset circuitry, save codes to a digital buffer and such, i decided to give it more of a spin.

can reduce the shading on the tip, but everything else is handled by the greyscale code, not my side.

need more info than that to improve them.

already fixing, chill.

all of this, including stockparts, suits, engines and such was on a single pull request, but since it was too big (resprited roughly 20% of the station equipment you see everyday) i got asked to atomize it.

amen to that brother, but dont we want to move from that style?

already did, just on the backlog lmao

But yeah, good to see people talking on how they hate the sprites, so i improve them.

1 Like

Some sprites are too small while most are similar, but I personally REALLY LOVE the CROWBAR.
maybe less shading over all, bee sprites have little to no shading in them.

The wirecutters i like, it doesnt need to be big since thats what the jaws of life are for i believe, would make it fitting.

I like the wrench too, but it does need to be diagonal and it needs a slightly bigger gap. For visibility.

Gradients always look cool, and whilst your tools are a bit standing out of the style because of shading and stuff, i would honestly prefer you to dictate the style of things, you seem to have a good grasp on what should look like what, walls and stuff when?

Welding tools are fiiiiine

Please keep the multitool more like the original design though, its way too big of a jump

I like the screwdriver

The pipe layer was gray and blue and it made it rather distinct as a not your average tool. Since it is used by atmosians exclusively pretty much, mind adding some of that slightly greenish blue onto that?

Rcd needs bigger ammo thing

Style style style. I believe we might be ready to change it. If you want: level it all to the ground and do your thing. Whatever it is you are pulling, its better than what we had, and for that i thank you.

good to see you like em, but most of the complaints about them is being hard to click, so ill make some slight edits to them and add some pixel helpers (alpha 1 pixelss that let you grab it easier)

alrighty, noted

we are working together with three spriters to unify the entire style of the game, after engineering tools, mining n cargo are next, then medical, then stuff like walls, so in a month or two, we should have something going on.

Walls and Floors are a little trickier since we need a good wall cutting system (in the code, all walls are saved in 1/4s for better rendering, but this also tells attempts of 3/4 walls to fuck off, so we need to fix that.

this is pretty useful since its the first time someone said something more than “rpd bad” lmao, so ill do it later today, along with the rest.

oh yeah, not even i like the RCD size that much, too hard to read, so that one’s getting a resprite as well.

1 Like

But why resprite anything at all? I quite liked the way everything looked. I think the biggest problem with some of these tools is that they’re very square, but there’s no colour to take away from that. The laser component was very rectangular, but had a different shape on top of it with a colour that heavily contrasted with the white. A lot of components now, even though I’m getting used to them, I have to still check what they are because they’re too similar of a colour and shape, except for the matter bins, components like the manipulators and lasers are both rectangular and slanted upwards at the same angle while being the same colour.
A lot of the tools are very white and makes them look too similar.
I quite liked the chunkiness of some tools such as the hand drill because it felt like I was wrenching this huge bolt on the canisters.
As someone else said, the multitool seems like a bit of a large leap, I quite like the real life yellow design of it.

1 Like

The style of beess 13 is very simplistic, but i think that what complexity this new team of spriters brings would make the game look prettier, and the only reason for the difficulties people experience decyphering the image on the screen is lack of experience, i think. Dont get me wrong, i too dont exactly feel… At home? With these new sprites right now. But i will get used to them, they are pretty and distinct enough to be considered an upgrade for me.

Like, i couldnt actually start to differentiate anything but the bluespace upgrade before, but now its all nicely done i actually start to get the hang of it.

Edit: the only way i can see this go wrong is that spriting requierments for new stuff might go up a bit. Thats a shame.

1 Like

Shit, I didn’t think of that, that wouldn’t be good at all if that’s the case! If this means less cool stuff will get added then I’d like maybe a partial revert

nah, it wont prevent from cool stuff being added: at most, when most of the style is unified, we’ll run a sprite quality check, and edit it if we need to.

if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

2 Likes

This
20 chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars

Yeah, this. Nothing really needed to be resprited, I like the old sprites better than the new ones and I feel like the components sprite won’t be improved on anymore since tools are being done now, which is bad.

Edit: Maybe sprites that are the exact same as the old ones, but just graphically superior would be an idea?

tried that, but ended up being terrible.
the concept of style unification really be passing over your head, since you are rushing the pr to get untestmerged and closed.

1 Like

I’m not sure what any of the meant :S

Make beestation art style like eris

i like the sprites

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or don’t because beestation art style is what made bee so great to begin with? I liked the simplicity of it and not having to look at pretty much anything long to get an idea of what it was or what it did

3 Likes

I’m happy you have an opinion.

1 Like

They want to change all the items and everything really because it’s not all one style.

Ehhh… I ain’t a huge fan of the artstyle the new sprites are going for, some of the most basic tools like wirecutters, screwdrivers, the crowbar and wrench are kind of cool (even if imo the wrench being horizontal and not diagonal or at least vertical is kind of weird), but on the other hand i hate the weird isometric-ish look of the new plasma canister and the new batteries.

1 Like

i like the new sprites

3 Likes