Metric v.s. Imperial

• Metric
  • Imperial

0 voters

Pick one.

5 Likes

I sometimes have troubles in atmos because the heat pumps are in some K whatever measure and now C. and the difference is huge. This includes Thermo Machines

both Celsius and Kelvin are the correct ways to measure those though, it would be very odd to measure something ‘scientific’ in imperial

2 Likes

Interestin’ filter for the server. :wink:

cough cough
NASA

1 Like

Isn’t Celsius and Kelvin basically the same but with the goal post of “what is 0 degrees” shifted so that Kelvin doesn’t have negative readings?

but yeah Metric FUCKING ROCKS.

Fun facts about Metric;

• the moon landing on a scientific calculation, along with mission control side was carried out using metric, only the equipment the astronauts themselves had was imperially measured.
  • wherever Napoleon went up until his vast military campaigning ran out of steam durring a Russian winter, he used the metric system, which is why militaries around the world use it, that frenchie kicked some major ass with it logistically speaking.
  • Metric works via a Base unit, larger units including “Deka” “Hecto” and “Kilo”. and smaller being “Deci”, “Centi” and “Milli”, there are EVEN LARGER and EVEN SMALLER units of measurement, but those are used primarily in Astronomy, advanced material sciences, computer sciences and batshit insane mathematics.
  • The Current day machining commonly reaches down into the .01mm of tolerance in design specs. to get the same level of mechanical tolerance in imperial, you need to go down to .001 inches.
  • ever since the Imperial system abandoned it’s physical prototypes/proofs, all measurements of it are based upon “the Meter” and metric physical prototypes.
  • Imperial measuring can be done fractionally only as far down to the 64th of an inch, any further requires Decimal measurements, which pretty much leads you into an inch divided by 5s, 10s, 25s and 50s.
  • The current day Imperial system is basically a scuffed metric system or can be considered an adjacent functionary of it.

This is fucking neat, check it out.

2 Likes

Imperial is what happens when you let inbred royalty define the way your world is measured.

2 Likes

Also look at this
Fahrenheit were invented in Norway, 0ºF is the temperature at which sea water freeze. I have no idea how it was extended in USA

4 Likes

I’m not gonna lie to you man Canada in that picture should be striped.

I use a Fahrenheit measurement every time I cook on my family’s 60+ year old stove.

I’ve been forced to learn and use the imperial system decimally in college, which given I love metric SUCKS but oh well at least I can fuck with people by converting Inches to centimeters.

3 Likes

Yes Fahrenheit require an equation to convert it to kelvin

2 Likes

Are you sure the stove isn’t made in USA?

I’m too homely, chill and relaxed for that cross multiplying fractional bull shit RN.
Git that shit outta here.

NGL I’m pretty sure our old magic chef is American made, but we have both Celsius and Fahrenheit cooking instructions on all our food so it’s ok.

Kelvin was based on absolute zero. Where the particales are frozen in place, which is REALLY difficult. While Celsius is based on the boiling point of water and when water turns to ice.

Genius ploy by Norway!

3 Likes

Get out. Get out right now!! What the fuck?!

You’re against the diversity of measurements.

1 Like

hmm, no wonder there is consistency between the two.

Water at 0 degrees C at 1 BAR leads to freezing…

water at 273.2 degrees Kelvin at 1 BAR also leads to freezing…

-273.2 degrees C would also lead to particles frozen in place presumably.

who knew basing measurements upon natural and physical phenomena made things deliciously consistent

@EvilDragon how many teaspoons in a Gallon! NO GOOGLE! NO INTERNETZ SOLVE!
I got 768 tea spoons.

1 Like

273.15, just add that to every kelvin value to get celsius

Imagine posting evangelion intro looking charts and pretending they’re real.

Also I love SI units.
These are extremely useful since they’re what’s used for basically any scientific work that’s reputable, and it’s complete. What does that mean? It means you can get every other type of measurement from the 7 base units + constants:

Like how much is a newton in imperial? I dunno, but in metric, I do know it’s the force which gives a mass of 1 kilogram an acceleration of 1 metre per second per second.

3 Likes