Medical Cryopod rework (Bounty)

Thanks
Its actually not that hard, at least the basic stuff
You already have a map editor, its installed with BYOND and its called Dream Maker. Just download bee code from github, turn on the editor, open environment by choosing a dme file from bee code folder you just downloaded and now you can start messing with things-open existing maps, dive into files etc
My problem lies with trying to run things locally, my computer starts boiling when I try to host my own server so making any tests, especially with things like pools that would require messing with different sizes of pools, different chems etc would be a hell if even possible

This is more of a rework than a removal - cryopod now has the same function but without infinite chems.

You can also already load any chem into a cryopod to dose it, but you have no control over the dosage given (and will very easily overdose) and Cryo pods multiply reagents by a ridiculous factor.

Pools share a similar problem of not giving enough control to the doctors compared to simply feeding them a pill.

1 Like

Everything has a cost or check associated with it.

• Surgery costs no reagents but takes time and knowledge to do
  • Eating a pill means youā€™ve already pre-emptively decided on a dosage and put the time into preparing it upfront - the time sink is proactive instead of reactive
  • Using a cryopod means pushing a button and walking away, but the time cost is still there for the player even though itā€™s still easy for the doctor and has a relatively short initial setup. It will require regular upkeep or else run out of chems.
  • Cloning is also push a button and walk away, but has a resource and time cost associated with it.

The reason current sleepers are an issue is because they bypass nearly all forms of costs and ā€œinfiniteā€ is part of their equation. They are ready to go at roundstart, infinitely supply chems with no prior or ongoing input, and patients just need to be in them for an instant to receive their full treatment - then shoved out the door while it works.

Compared to a pill, thereā€™s no opportunity cost in making or preparing it.

Edit:

The core problem isnā€™t that we have simple ways for players to do their job - those are a necessity for being newbie friendly.

The problem is when the simplest method is also the most desirable/efficient because then it devalues everything else in the department. Why even learn the more complex things if players actively yell at you for not just using the sleeper.

What is chemical efficiency?

% reduced chem consumption per tick while patient in cryopod is asleep.

T1: 25%
T2: 40%
T3: 55%
T4: 70%

For example, a medicine that normally metabolizes at 0.4u per tick would instead metabolize at 0.3 with T1 parts.

This gives the machine a functional trade-off when compared to simply handing the patient pills, and slightly incentivizes the use of sedatives (though Cryo-mode is definitely superior)

I have a hard time seeing why we need to make things like bica (theorically) finite (especially with everything medical-related robotics has to offer), but overall, great idea, thatā€™ll be great for intensive care.

Medibots donā€™t work if you have thick clothing on.

I noticed overdose is not mentioned anywhere here or on github, it would be really easy to overdose by accident if chems metabolize even slower.

If you think it will be easy to overdose when you apply chems at intervals of 1, 5 and 10 there really isnā€™t any helping you and youā€™re not cut out to be a doctor

Missed the part about dosing being manual, thought it was automatic with doctors just putting people into the heal tube.