Making all permabans unappealable for an entire year is fucking stupid

His appeal is being handled in private.

4 Likes

]

That has nothing to do with transparency. Do you see how much attention and people screaming this cases produces? Making it public would only make it so people scream in the thread, thread gets unlisted, ???

2 Likes

Any sort of public ban appeal by Blue would just be peanuted to holy hell, judging by the uproar it’s already caused. I don’t blame staff for not making it a public thing. While I’m leaning more on the side of Blue’s ban being excessive, my opinion is irrelevant as a player because he broke the rules quite clearly and made someone in the community uncomfortable enough to create a report in the first place. This isn’t a case of “adjust your sensitivities” - if Blue were playing on an ERP-friendly server he would have had to ask in LOOC if it was OK to do that kind of RP or risk a bean even in places where previously agreed upon roleplayed rape is OK.

As some might know, I help run a business that includes permanently banning people and organizations from our business who do us wrong. We do have “permanent ban without appeals” and they are reserved for: NSFW content (as the business is on ROBLOX, a kids game), exploiting and rampant and consistent toxicity. Unfortunately, Blue falls into the first category and if he were to do what he did in my business, he would have received the same response.

It being “extreme” in my eyes - which I barely believe it is - stems from the fact that as a mentor, he has put in hours helping and facilitating this community. In that same vein, however, he was a mentor and should have known better before taking the action he did. I get we get carried away in RP sometimes and like to get up to funny memes that come to our very messed up brains, but we should all have the ability to temper ourselves before we ruin the experience for someone else.

2 Likes

It’s possible that it’s being handled in private just because his forum account and discord account were banned, more than managing any peanut posting.

It’s rare but sometimes people do get their ability to post on the forums revoked, though “in private” still means on the forum, just in a group DM with admins. It’s not like some weird single discord DM appeal or something.

Usually several will comment instead of just the ones who issued it in that case too.

5 Likes

How I understand it:
You get perma banned to explain - normal appeal.
You get perma banned - if you appeal and your ban is found just and deserved, your appeal will be rejected and you can appeal it in a year with a vouch.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

5 Likes

The thing that i am really afraid of is an admin pressing the wrong button and banning the wrong guy accidently without noticing it. Then said person makes an appeal and the appeal gets instantly closed and not even looked at because “one year is not over”.
I am just a bit worried that people that are on thin ice get banned wrongfully. And are then not even given the chance to explain themselves or defend themselves. Atleast thats how i understood the new ruling.

beestation used to be a fun server, now it takes itself too seriously with the new rulings and forgets its just a 2d spessman game, admins make mistakes too let people appeal it?

edit: does this ruling also appeal to job bans or just server bans?

9 Likes

From what I can gather, it applies to full, proper and correctly applied permanent bans.

If you are permabanned for something you either didn’t do, or you were permabanned for something very minor that obviously shouldn’t be a permaban, I would talk to the head admins to get it fixed.

3 Likes

This still is a very bad discision imo, Atleast players should be encourged to appeal once to explain there side if it isant super obviuse. The shitter types that would plasmaflood woundlt appeal at all anyhow so this mainly is a problem for people that still wana play on bee.

Isant the whole point of a appeal to apply if you think it was unjust to get it looked at again? This flies in the face of it.

In my opinion, a big part of the issue is that that should be explicit policy and not something you have to guess at and hope for, especially with how unwavering the term “unappealable” states the new policy to be.

If you literally didn’t do it, that’s been covered in two threads here on the forums (as I’ve mentioned before, those threads being this one and the report on Bluezorua), but as it’s said in the announcement, anything that you’ve been permabanned for that you are indeed guilty of isn’t eligible for appeal until a year’s passed, regardless of any factors other than raw guilt.

Policy and the wording therein shouldn’t be so half-assed and barebones, especially when the implications of that wording are so extreme as the two steps this new policy has:
First, a Minimum year-ban, only appealable during that timeframe if you were literally just the incorrect person getting banned or if an admin’s finger slipped or something, after which a successful appeal may result in it not remaining permanent.
Immediately following the first perma being removed, seemingly regardless of severity, the next step is total community removal for any infraction “without another chance to appeal ever”.

Anyways, this is one of the dumbest changes I’ve seen being made on Bee, and that’s saying something.
Regardless of if what Ruko put in the announcements channel (where people will actually see it) is the actual, entire, accurate policy (it’s not) or if the people who were tasked with communicating it just shit the bed unimaginably hard (they did), it’s simply awe inspiring how fucking stupid this change is, whether or not you factor in the stillbirth of an attempt at communicating it.

Good question, I don’t think they’ve thought it through as much as you so I’m eager to see them come up with an answer. I’d guess no, but Bee has a habit of surprising me, so who am I to say

4 Likes

This is the correct interpretation. If the ban is made in error it is not a sustained or substantiated permanent ban.

I mean I think the main point they’re trying to get across is that you can’t give your side of the story if you’re permabanned (jannie sees permanent for grief and says “closing this, wait until year passes”) or community banned (you cant even try).

As far as I see it most of ss13 servers suffer from guilty until proven innocent mentality. And a year is a long time.

8 Likes

I honestly do not understand what is lost by giving players the chance to appeal. Is this just a pretty radical way to deal with moderator shortage?

9 Likes

There’s a term I’ve used a lot in my business that could apply here: administrative burden. The prerogative is on players to read and understand the rules prior to playing or at least take caution when playing so as not to upset the natural order of things. People failing to do so create a burden upon staff who then have to deal with them either via reports or ingame, and process any unban requests they might make from then on.

Folks who earn themselves a permanent ban as described by this new policy are the type of individuals who were either blissfully ignorant to the rules, knew them and didn’t care to follow them or have committed an act so egregious in nature that the community and staff needs a passage of time and vouches to make things right.

I’ve said before I don’t necessarily agree with it entirely because there’s nothing harmful or overly encumbering about letting people at least attempt to appeal their permanent ban, but my only true concern is in the length of time. I think it’d be better suited to be three months or something closer to that. That being said, I come from a place where my business has a monopoly - being permanently banned without a chance for appeal can be incredibly harmful to them. Being permanently banned from one of many ss13 servers isn’t that much of a concern for folks - especially the shitters.

This policy helps protect Bee against folks who “toe the line” as it were and keep getting banned but never do anything that warrants a truly permanent ban. Folks won’t risk getting banned for a few days if they know it could suddenly turn into almost complete removal from the community.

1 Like

you mean roblox?

1 Like

Okay this honestly blows my mind.

YOURE AN ADMEME.

How does something this big and impactful to the community get passed with some admemes having to GUESS as to how it is to be applied?

12 Likes

It’s not common knowledge but ROBLOX games are often considered and managed like real life businesses. Some of the most popular games make upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions.

so yes I mean Roblox

6 Likes

i don’t think comparing roblox roleplaying games to irl businesses is healthy for the mind

12 Likes

If a headmin makes up their mind on something opinionated, theres not really much room for getting it changed. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like