Make borgs take damage from heat

Simple as. Borgs main strategy to kill a confirmed red threat (especially xenos, but this is something I saw other borgs do for other antags quite frequently) is to usually grab a plasma can and rush in with an epic plasmaflood, staying in there to keep attacking and spreading it to the bad guys with no care due to perfect immunity.

I’m not saying make them as vulnerable as a human, but giving them heat vulnerability, at the very least when the fire is super hot, or in general, would be an actual good nerf.
Something like taking 1 burn damage every second, giving them 1min40sec to stay in there before deaths - and i shall remind you borgs are super fast fixed by slapping wire onto them, just like IPC

If IPC take burn damage, why not borg ?

2 Likes

having specific weaknesses for some borg frames would make sense.

Engineering borgs would obviously be the most resistant to industrial accidents and hazards (burning, radiation and brute), but conversely is less suited for resisting corrosives arising from either end of the PH scale.

Medical borgs would be second in radiological and heat resistance, but taking the cake in chemical resistance given they’re the ones exposed to those pesky chemists most often, brute damage however would be their bane, their mechanisms are small and precise and made to preform surgical work, thusly being finicky and prone to breaking upon getting a hit with stuff like baseball bats, toolboxes chairs afew times.

Service and Peace keepers have a balance of Physical and Chemical resistances, but little radiological or heat shielding given they’re not intended to be in contact or proximity with fucking radioactive materials!

Generalist drones come down to being the worst, their unspecified design and configuration leading to bare bones plating and frame, made with quick modification and reconfiguration in mind rather than long term operation.

I don’t see SEC borgs enough to consider where they would come into play in this.

7 Likes

You don’t see sec borgs because they’re disabled as a module :pensive: they were truly the REAL validhunters, you could include them on the tweaks just because consistency and there’s also the NT green secborg that get spawned very rarely by admemes

5 Likes

I know there is a lava land base (Lizzard or syndie, I can’t remember) that HAS the SEC borg disk that enables that module, but damn if nobody ever gets it.

1 Like

Syndie.

And im fairly certain thats the AI upgrade disk that give you MALF powers, not secborgs

1 Like

Yup, the syndie base has the ‘‘Combat upgrade’’ disk for AI to enable malf powers, this used to be on the ash lizard den but it got moved to a more ‘‘challenging’’ area

I feel like then there needs to be a “combat armor” upgrade for med borgs that increases brute resistance for situations like nukie/Xenia and such so they have a chance at dragging bodies away. Make it a sec lauthe only item

2 Likes

Having Differently themed plating modifications, that add plates that denote which hazards they are currently designed to handle or resist would be neat, but I think upgraded plating options already exist, just aren’t used very much.

1 Like

Closest to those plate options I know of are is the lava proofing that mining borgs can get. Which thinking mining borgs haven’t been brought up yet. Mining borgs should be heavily resistant to most forms of damages, even acid because you do have xenomorphs in lavaland

I’d say it should be resistant to contact fire (not laser fire?) and brute. or maybe be like miner armor where it works best in low pressure.

I’m guessing this was about the round I was observing with the xenoqueen trapped in xenobio? Borg comes in and plasmafloods. It gets so hot it litereally burns through the hull of the station. But borg is hapilly using their saw on the resin to try to get the xenoqueen cooked. Give them Heat resistance as much as like… an engineering hardsuit? Less than the temperature that’s needed to make holes in the station :b

3 Likes

Plasma flooding borgs have always been a problem… they were kinda curbed with some murderbone restrictions but never really addressed the main issue… So when it pops up again its not taken well…

Stopping a borg from just dragging an open can of plasma is basically impossible and dealing with the aftermath is worse if they camp it.

Try to stop the borg and you burn to death from them opening doors and spreading it
Try to stop the fire and the borg charges you and if they win drag you into it.

Would be nice if borgs had to flee the area instantly/after a while themself rather than just sit unphased in the hellfire hotter than even the station can survive…

Tried code diving but I cant find specifics on their damage modifiers other than some unrelated ones

1 Like

NGL giving them a high heat resistance, with a secondary focus on brute resistance and dump stating radiological and chemical would make abit of sense, since NT has a weird focus on making experimental armor suited to resisting their own weapons rather than The syndicate’s ballistic armaments.

But also forcing a SEC borg into opening their panel to receive repairs would also balance shit out abit.

Could be devistating if fusion broke loose but anything in a fire thats 10,000K and up should instantly melt. Barring plasma objects and Atmos. So it would be suicidal to create fusion next to a wall made out of iron and steel.

1 Like

NGL I think this old style of “fusion” is pretty dumb, like either it melts the whole place cause it’s not magnetically or laser pinch contained or *it’s just running a gas turbine with more bells and whistles.

well it helps drive the danger and necessary caution of fusion. I remember a long while ago some admeme bussed a atmos tech training a newbie cause they didnt use plasma glass and used reg reinforced glass. I’d probably stop that happening again.

As a silicon main that perfers engineering borg, This is a scary thought/thread.

I Dislike the thought of having TWO constant damage types inside the SM chamber during delam trying to RCD the floor away, Rads alone is enough to kill 2 tool slots Or disable you entirely if slow.

This will Prevent engineering borgs from saving the SM.

To sum my feelings up. I like This idea, It sounds great for non-engineering borg modules. For the engineering borg module itself please no.

3 Likes

yeah i mean maybe thats a good thing that borgs would not be the saving grace of any situation whatsoever able to do anything better than a human can because they are somehow more resistant to everything ever than the station itself

Right, I think i see your point of view. Personally, This would Drive me away from playing engineering borg, Since i play it to be thrown into the dangerous problems like Repairing plasmafires.

I would go to the next best thing and go Atmos tech IPC and use their firesuit just to do what i like on the game(Spaceproof and fireproof)

Again it’s a good Idea for Non-engineering borgs Like why would a janitor borg have to enter a plasmafire and remain?

Anyway, I shared my thoughts on the matter.

I believe the idea would be to add thresholds, same as the atmos tech gear rather than just having any minor fire deal burns.
Having straight up immunity to fusion even when the station floors dont is extremely one sided and detrimental for everyone else.

Atmos gear can survive up to around 35,000 kelvin i believe before protection fails and you burn alive regardless.
There has to be a limit somewhere… and I dont believe this would hinder legitimate repair attempts, only those intending to sit inside a plasma fire to hold an area or spread it further through doors.

1 Like