Make acacia an alternate roleplay server, for more chill and longer rounds

instead of making acacia just an overflow just pave the cowpath and change acacias config to allow for more relaxed, longer rounds

the config options that should be changed:

increase the chance of secret extended and other low collateral gamemodes like traitor and changeling

remove dynamic, it tends to cause wizards and nuke ops to spawn even when they don’t even meet the pop requirements

turn off or extend when the crew transfer vote happens so that the emergency shuttle actually requires an emergency

and this is a maybe, but maybe turn on respawn? ghost roles don’t always spawn and there isn’t always a staffed medbay so being able to respawn (after a timer of course) wouldn’t be that bad, also allows you to play various characters in one round aswell, if we have respawn we could also add permadeath we players actually give death any meaning

4 Likes

Having Acacia be a more lighthearted server where you learn stuff and deal with fun threats instead of round enders would be amazing. The kicker is it could still be the fallback as the core rules wouldn’t change like how LRP was.

4 Likes

We’re most likely not going to do that.
The whole point being, that we want our servers to basicaly be the same.
Thats of course not the case as is, due to low pop…
but thats goal anyways

we want to have a unified direction of what we wanna be so we can maybe eventualy stop pulling in 10000 diffrent directions with the project

If you want rounds to last longer than 2 hours (which is already too much) you seriously have a problem

Unbased new player

Rounds on SS13 used to be longer than 2 hours normally, it only in the last couple of years that it’s become more rare

Virgin 45 minute round vs Chad hours long round

1 Like

Unbased new player

once again you prove to be a moron

I’d rather have 45 minute rounds with antags doing something exciting instead of 2 hour rounds where antags are afraid to sit out the rest of 2 hour round.

2 Likes

I have over 1800 hours on bee alone, just because I want long rounds is not the reason I have a problem

What possibly could you want to do on a 3-4 hour round.

At that point its not even a game anymore, its just a sandbox with a chat.

What’s the problem with the game being a sandbox ?
The most fun i’ve had in this game was driven by player’s own objectives.
Like a barman renovating his bar, secret mafia hinding in maint and selling drugs and stuff.
Or a guy who wanted to explore space with basicaly nothing and me being his PAI.

Longer rounds allow for stories like these, or even more complex ones to happen.

I was never a great fan of how rounds end, i’m just chilling, doing my job and little personal objectives with the concentration of an autistic genius (minus the genius part) and then WWOOP WOOP shuttle has been called because half of the station has become a hole !

It is true that longers rounds are completely different than shorter ones, but for the reasons i stated above, i do not believe it is a bad thing.

2 Likes

So basically you just want a chatroom.

Very good answer but.
You probably are a bit smarter than that so you could maybe elaborate a bit more ?

Like i kinda get what you’re saying but this is a discussion, not politic, so clearly say what you are thinking.

I have been got

Both long and short rounds are good for different reasons. The reality is that each round some players have long term goals and some have short term goals, so someone always gets the short end of the stick, be it not being able to finish their projects or being forced to wait.

However, through our rule changes, longer rounds are naturally encouraged.

(this is neither good nor bad)

We’re most likely not going to do that.
The whole point being, that we want our servers to basicaly be the same.
Thats of course not the case as is, due to low pop…
but thats goal anyways

No rule changes bub, just different antag selection and frequency. These are all under the hood.

also, allow the cap or any heads to enable the gateway and pick what it’ll be (like explorers choosing their mission). Also the five hour acacia round that happened due to sage dying was great and I’m sad I had to leave before my Minecraft Clubhouse was complete.

1 Like

Gateway is very dangerous and disruptive. I advise you only open it at like 40 min because by that time the crew is likely to actually be prepared.

2 Likes

Hell yeah!
Got to build a cool departures arcade as a drone!

1 Like

are you saying its not fun to chill out on a 10 pop server then be boned by a dyna wizard spawn 50m in? smh

Acacia still has an issue with murderbone antags spawning annoyingly frequently, events usualy “balanced” for 60 players gets thrown at a half functional crew of 10-20, Wiz and Xenos being near uncounterable threats to such low pop.

Vines are also considered a major threat…
I swear every single round, kudzu spawns on the station and its pure luck that it gets found early due to how thin the crew is spread

Dynamic feels like a mistake as a whole on lowpop… Heretic and Wiz were popcapped for a reason… but Dynamic just ignores it because… reasons?
Seen alot of the heretics on acacia not even bother trying because it would be killing and cloning the same 5 people then round ending them after ascension
Either that or meta wizard shows up and kills everyone in 5 min. fun?

Lowering the chance of outright round enders appearing before crew vote would be nice to have.
No functional changes to gameplay or rules
Just slightly less BS

Skill issue

20charsmogus

2 hour match, decked out station, all powergame items and reaearched achieved < 30-40 minute round, climactic wiznerd / cult / nukies fight

1 Like

6 hours match, with the sci-shuttle being retrofitted with a protolathe, teleporter, mech-bay and armory, new sections of the station being built, Lavaland derelict restored to it’s former glory and having it’s own Anti-matter engine > 30-40 premature termination quickie where only security and antags get to do anything fun at all.

That aside, this is actually a brilliant idea. There is no need to change rules for Acacia, a simple config change so things like Rogue AI murderboning the only 5 crew on station don’t happen anymore does make sense. The low-pop and long rounds on Acacia is perhaps the best environment to learn a lot of the more demanding game mechanics.

Most people I used to meet on Acacia (including myself) didn’t know how Pubby SM needs to be set up and didn’t even realize things such as TEG exist. After a few rounds, and a few heroic engineers and atmos techs taking literal hours explaining and teaching TEG set-ups, I now can set up Pubby SM/TEG myself.

Or another thing that couldn’t have happened if it wasn’t an extended, 3 hour shift:
Me teaching a new CMO the basics of advanced surgery and letting them practice it on live subjects (myself as well as some genemodded monkeys). It’s simply impossible to learn anything more complicated than the very basics if you basically get 10 minutes of peace during a round and then 30 minutes of running around trying not to die due to murderbone antags.

I’m not saying that long, extended, chill rounds are the only way to go. But long rounds are in no way inferior to short ones, at the very least, stimulate learning in a controlled environment where fucking up a job you’re not yet robust at doesn’t immediately round-end everyone depending on you doing that job and, overall, contribute to players practising until they do get robust enough to implement newly learned things quickly, efficiently and under stress.

1 Like