LodedDiper Moderator Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): LodedDiper

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Disco User #4914 (Used to be Discord User, but then an update came where I couldnt include discord in my name anymore, so now it’s that)

How often are you online to help? (Timezone): I am online almost daily, and guaranteed on bee multiple times a week, excluding a handful of breaks every couple months. My timezone is UTC+1 (european hours), so I will be online when most other mods aren’t.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: Well, you have probably seen the thread yourself, but ideally this server would have more restrictions to new players. It ranges from not letting low hour newbies fill up plasma cigs to the admittedly rather extreme option of a whitelist, but you get the idea. Other than that, I’d change the oddly limited way antag tokens work right now and make it so they are given out more frequently, like towards antags who had the servers crash on them or got griefed. I am aware my suggestions are controversial, but really they’re just ideas thrown into the room.

How old are you?: 19 years.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: Multiple reasons really. This server is understaffed and you can feel it. Rounds without mods are noticeably worse in quality, and I hope I can negate that, especially since the hours I join are a bit earlier than most mods. And besides that, I have been urged to become a mod here! The most recent time being just yesterday. So I asked myself, why not give it a shot? Can’t hurt to try.

How long have you been playing SS13?: I started playing in late 2021, (discovered this game through Sseth) and never really stopped since aside from a few small hiatuses. I’m about to break the 1000 hour mark too.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: Exactly the same length! Only ever played on bee, never took more than a glimpse to other servers. But don’t think this a sign of closemindedness: I watch streamers and youtube videos about other servers sometimes too.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: I would say an 8 or so. I know how most things work in the game, am reasonably robust and even know a few small details others dont. But ask me how atmos piping works or obscure xenobio slime crossbreeds, and I will struggle to come up with an answer.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): 7. I’m decent at it, not outstandingly great, just decent. I haven’t generally been an admin long enough though to really make a good judgement of myself.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13: Besides a few tiny subreddits not of note, the peak of my mod career was when I was an admin in a small, local minecraft server. But I’ll admit, this isn’t much to speak of.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: I don’t.

Your strengths: I would consider myself an observant person. A lot of times I can just tell when someone is trying to grief or tide before it even happens. I learn quickly, and can adjust to whatever situation is thrown at me well. And finally I’m just a down to earth guy and prefer a pragmatic approach over an idealistic one.

Your weaknesses: Sometimes I become a little too frustrated with whatever is going on in the game and get pissy for a while, perhaps even start an argument. I do remind myself it’s just a game at the end, of course, but keep it in mind.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Chimp behaviour. People who have no respect towards rules, kindness or just general decency. Immaturity and childishness when dealing with conflicts also gets on my nerves.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: I think fairness is the most important trait for a staff member. Rules can be be tough and restrictive, but if mods make it so they are fairly applied, to every player including other staff members, I can live with that.

What makes a staff team good?: The ability to react quickly to things like tickets or adminhelp pings. General coordination and having some sort of structure and order within the team. Being professional is just generally nice too.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: To keep the peace in a server and encourage people to roleplay. To punish those that don’t roleplay, and to remove those who don’t care about punishments entirely.

What kind of player are you?: I’m a roleplayer, but in a bit of an unorthodox way. You see, my character as HOS is a different than my character as clown, even if they have the same name and all. But there is some consistency to it. I come up with a fun gimmick and try it out for a few rounds, or I play command to challenge myself. At the end, my main goal as a player is trying to make the server fun for me and everyone else.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I will stop being a sec main and play antag less, which I will miss! But other than that, I will probably be more understanding of how and why admins act the way they do. However, I’m bad at predicting the future, so who knows?

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: I would check the clown’s antag status and if he has steal objectives related to the HOS gun. If no, bwoink and ask him why he did it, maybe it was part of an escalating conflict between him and HOS. Remind him that there are antags that might have an objective to steal it. Depending on his history, ticket conduct and the context of how it happened, the punishment can vary greatly from just a note to maybe a week long server ban, (if its more than 3 days long I ask other staff) but it would most likely be middling somewhere in the range of a day ban to read the rules and a three day long clown/mime ban. If possible, I would teleport the gun back to the locker too.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: Immediate ajail and bwoink asking him to explain himself. Depending on his response and current hours, he MIGHT avoid a perma here, (i’d notify other staff of the ban I applied) but I find it unlikely. This seems to be very clear and intentional grief. I’d also keep an eye out for any new players that join, since it’s common for griefers to evade and join the same round again.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: I would check if he was making meth, as chemists tend to do that without asking their superior. If yes, conduct a bwoink and ask why. If no, I check notes to see if he has been doing this repeatedly throughout rounds, but otherwise I’d consider this an IC issue. Add a stealthnote just in case.

11 Likes

Hello! I have a few questions I’d like to ask that seem important to clear up! Keep in mind I cannot +1/-1 here but i believe this will help admins make decisions nevertheless:

First thing I’d like to ask is if you could clear this up some, the way this reads it sounds as though you are targetting people based on some behavior, which doesn’t strike me as fair to them (i do concede though that sometimes you can tell from what someone is doing). So let’s day you see someone you think may be a griefer/tider, what would you do?

Kind of the same thing here, this reads like you talk about being prone to starting arguments when you get upset, then talk about hating immaturity, So let’s say you observe a new xeno queen, they clearly don’t know what they’re doing and quickly get killed. In Dchat an older time players is making fun of their decisions made that led to their death, what do you do, if anything?

And finally, how do you think these ideas would affect Bee’s status as a new player friendly server? Share your thoughts on how you think this would affect the playerbase as a whole!

2 Likes

First thing I’d like to ask is if you could clear this up some, the way this reads it sounds as though you are targetting people based on some behavior, which doesn’t strike me as fair to them (i do concede though that sometimes you can tell from what someone is doing). So let’s day you see someone you think may be a griefer/tider, what would you do?

Perhaps i could have phrased this a bit better, but what I mean is that I often see people and kind of have a hunch they might be tiders based on subtle clues. For example, just last round I denied the clown maintenance access because he was acting very rude in the hopline, shoving people and stuff. Turns out he really was a griefer, as he proceeded to break into atmos to try and steal a plasma tank.
If I saw someone I suspect to be a griefer as a mod I would first investigate, like looking at player hours and checking his inventory. If I feel confident I landed on a tider/griefer based on the small clues alone I observe him until I catch him in the act. (If I find something obviously incriminating I take action immediately of course) See my above response on the plasmaflooder on what I do next.

Kind of the same thing here, this reads like you talk about being prone to starting arguments when you get upset, then talk about hating immaturity, So let’s say you observe a new xeno queen, they clearly don’t know what they’re doing and quickly get killed. In Dchat an older time players is making fun of their decisions made that led to their death, what do you do, if anything?

Well, that‘s why I consider it a flaw! (wouldn’t write it there otherwise) I try to better myself in that aspect, and I can promise you I can already see progress being made. But yes, I do find maturity/immaturity the defining trait of a person.
As for the question, I would ask the player to cool it and not backseat, wouldn’t even bwoink over it. If he continues I would reconsider that though and apply a note too. If he has a history of doing this a dchat ban might also be applicable. But all this really just depends on what exactly he is saying and how mean he is towards the new player.

And finally, how do you think these ideas would affect Bee’s status as a new player friendly server? Share your thoughts on how you think this would affect the playerbase as a whole!

I am of the personal conviction that there are things that a new player just shouldn’t touch until he learns the basics of the game. Think of it like not letting a toddler near the stovetop: He certainly hasn’t learned to cook on it and he‘d probably burn himself anyways. My belief doesn’t stem from elitism, quite the opposite actually. Newbies need the most amount of supervision and assistance; filtering out grief evaders is a nice plus.

3 Likes

Good responses I’d say, dchat mute is nice for those extra salty players, and in terms of the thied question yeah ive read the post about the whitelist idea, that was mroe or less a chance to get your side over here for ease of admin reading

Id say that pretty well clears up the reading parts of it! I Look forward to seeing how you handle the more offical questions!

3 Likes

Hi! Thank you for applying!!
Even if i can’t +/-1 the app i’d like to ask you a couple questions:

1 A traitor (wielding a bomb in their hands) is holding a crewmember hostage and is asking on the radio to exchange them for 50k credits.
Officer arrives on the scene, immediately whips out their disabler and shoots at the traitor.
Once the antagonist is down the officer arrests them, without saying a word.
Would you do anything?

2 It’s a blood cult round.
They get found out very early into the shift because a new player (as cultist) accidentally showed their stun spell in public.
Another cultist yells “fuck you” in cult-chat and ragequits.
What would you do?

3 You get this ahelp: “This borg is a shitter, they’re ignoring me on asimov”
After checking the borg player, you find out that they are very new to the server.
What do you do, what would write as reply and bwoink?

good luck with the app! and have a good day!! :muscle: :triumph:

2 Likes

1 - Rule one of beestation is that you must roleplay. This officer clearly did not seem interested in roleplay, instead went into an active hostage situation without alerting his superior and anticlimatically ended an intense RP moment just to validhunt. I would conduct a bwoink and ask him about the situation. While he didn’t need to follow up on the traitors demands, he could’ve at least warned him that he wasn’t going to be dealing with terrorists or really could have just said anything else here.
I will note him for it and most likely ban him too. Length varies depending on ban history/ticket conduct/etc but I’d say he would get a 2 day server ban and a week long sec ban, so he has a bit of time to try out non-combat focused jobs.

2 - This violates several rules: Rule 1, as he broke character fairly egregiously just because he’s frustrated at a player. Rule 7 as he was being a dick and insulted someone over an innocent mistake. And finally rule 13 and 15 as he left the game as a team antagonist without notifying admins and I assume did not cryo, just went SSD instantly.
As I cannot bwoink him, I would apply an “explain on the forums” ban for all of these rule breaches and wait until he appeals. And this might sound a little childlike, but perhaps I could even contact the new cult player and make the ragequitter apologize to him for being rude, just to settle it peacefully. From there he is most likely facing a couple day server ban and an antagonist ban for a week or so.

3 - I check if the borg is subverted. If yes, it’s an IC issue. If no, I conduct a bwoink and ask about the situation. I assume the borg wasn’t aware that he had to follow his laws, so I remind him of that and warn him that silicons are held to a higher standard of RP and apply a note, and tell the other player to ahelp again if it continues to happen.
But if we take “this borg is a shitter” at face value, then we might be dealing with a borg more egregiously breaking rules, maybe even being rude too. In this case, a silicon ban of a handful of days might be in order, in extreme cases perhaps even a server ban.

1 Like

I’d like to clarify ban length a bit.
As you said, the duration varies based on the player’s note/ban history.
Normally it goes from note to 1d ban, 3d, week, 2w, month and so on.
Duration can be made longer if the player only plays on bee like, once a month or even less. In that case they won’t even notice a one day ban.
Depending on how serious the situation was, you can ban for longer than one day on their first offence. You should do this to players that ruin the round for a lot of people (a virologist that releases a deadly disease).

The security job ban is a good call yeah!

It’s a nice thought! However i doubt it would work in practice.
From my own experience it’s better to just issue the punishment, explain to them what they did wrong, and move on.

But yeah, broke character, was toxic and ragequit as team antagonist, you correctly pointed out which rules they broke.

Yeah! Every time you warn someone about their behaviour you wanna keep a record of that with a note.
Keep in mind that you will have to explain to a lot of new players how certain jobs/roles need to be performed, it’s good practice to also link in the ticket the related wiki page.

I can’t offer any points, but thank you for answering my questions! Have a good day!!

1 Like

I’d like to bring up lodeddiper’s conduct in a report of him elsewhere.
I can’t speak to the report, but the disrespectful tone and Lodeddiper’s methods used to refute the other person speak volumes.

This excerpt in particular is the most egregious example of condescension and bad faith psychoanalysis I’ve seen in some time. I don’t like the term gaslighting but…:

“I don’t want this to get personal, so don’t be ashamed to retract the report. This report feels more like a cathartic outlet of emotions than you spotting an offense, so cool off a little, take a break from ss13 and reconsider all this.”

Sorry to do this to you man, you’re fun to play with, but I really don’t want you having any power over my enjoyment of the game.

4 Likes

Actually I decided I’m not gonna be a mod after all. Have fun being understaffed I guess.

1 Like

Closing this as requested.