Leo Szilard (Ivniinvi) Admin Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
Ivniinvi
Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
Ivniinvi#1422
How often are you online to help? (Timezone):
EST, mostly afternoon/evening.
What changes, if any, would you bring?:
As a trialmin (moderator I guess?) I wouldn’t really be in a position to effect much change. If I do reach the status of Full Admin, one thing I’d like to do is regular or semi-regular events, to increase the variety of content available in the game. These events wouldn’t even have to be anything major, just occasionally an old mode like Hivemind Host, or a SOP event.
How old are you?:
Why do you want to be a moderator?:
I’m already an observer main, and I figured, “Why not do something useful while I’m just floating around instead of just orbiting the changeling and answering the odd mhelp”. I want to help out BeeStation, and this seems like the best way to do it.
How long have you been playing SS13?:
600 hours exactly, my first connection was 2021-04-22
How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
Bee is the only server I’ve ever connected to.
On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
I’d personally mark myself as a 7 or an 8, I do have a lot of in-depth knowledge as to the workings of the game and many other features, and I believe I am competent in every role that the station has to offer. However, my primary skill issue is my lack of robustness. I will generally lose a 1v1 8 out of 10 times. I have at least one hour in every role in the game (except clown and a few gimmicks).
On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):
I believe I’d put myself at a 3 or 4 here, though this one is a mostly arbitrary number. I’ve used the administrative tools a great deal on my own testing server, and I am familiar with the code functionality of many of them. As an example, today I was able to tell Inithis and Yoshimi which subsystem variables needed to be changed to have Clockwork Cult not be stuck in an infinite teleport loop, after which I submitted a PR to fix. I do believe that the real skill at using admin tools comes with experience in live games though, which I do lack.
Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
I have been an admin in the sense of Discord admin/community leader (though not with game-master powers) for an Eve Online alliance that I was a leader in. I was one of three leaders of the 110-person Intelligence group, and one of 40 leaders of the 4000-person Deployment group.
Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
N/A
Your strengths:
I code a bunch for the game, I am one of the top contributors of the past month (according to github). This gives me a decent supply of knowledge about the backend of the game and the likely causes for problems.
Your weaknesses:
I personally believe that I can be too lenient, there are a bunch of bans that I personally would likely have given a second chance for. However, I cannot see note history, so there might have been something there that I could not see as a player.
Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
Aggressive metagaming, e.g. sec sees an empty scroll in disposals and red-alerts then calls out over common to watch for carp users.
What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
I think the most important trait for a staff member is a willingness to see it from both sides, and not jump the gun on taking the person who ahelped first’s side.
What makes a staff team good?:
Personally, a staff team is good if they are responsive and willing to see the RAI, not just the RAW.
What is a staff team’s purpose?:
I believe that a staff team’s purpose is to maximize fun in the round. Admins are effectively the DM of the RPG that is SS13, and the point of a game is to have fun, for everyone.
What kind of player are you?:
I personally enjoy doing an in-depth project in a round, that’s complex and has some challenge to getting it right, but another thing that I enjoy is helping other people out. When a new player joins and is obviously new, I like to show them the ropes and help them out. That’s why I became a mentor (and also why I’m porting MRat).
How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
I believe that I will gain a better appreciation for the different types of players and playstyles that are exhibited on this server, and a greater knowledge of the reasons for certain rules and judgements.
The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

First, immediately permaban him because clowns are worse than mimes.

Second, check if the clown is an antagonist, if not, inform him that it’s self antag (and if he has a massive history of self antag, probably jobban from clown), then podlaunch it back to the HoS office (I love the podlauncher, seriously amazing and versatile tool), accompanied with a CC announcement stating that the clown separated the hos from his gun and where it is now. If the clown was an antagonist, I would just let it drift.
A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
First off, adminprison or podlaunch to CC. Then, I’d check his CentCom history and his hours/note history, and ask him why he was doing it, and unless he has a very very good answer (especially if he has 0 hours, no zero hour player knows how distro works), get admin authorization and then ban him. One important exception would be if I was in-round and killed by the plasma fire, given that there’s another admin on I’d ask them to handle the ahelp in my stead.
A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
Fully IC conflict. I’ve done it and I’d imagine half the staff team has done it at one point. Check his hours, if he’s new maybe message him the Guide to Chemistry or tell him where the mhelp button is.

My note history consists of one negative note, two positive notes, and one neutral note. My ban history consists of one three-day botany ban.

4 Likes

+1

Would do more if I could.

1 Like

Were I a fullmin, I would do the same.

Extremely reliable player both IC and OOC - great attitude when interacting with.

1 Like

I’m already an observer main

:ghost:

Positive mentor, positive contributor, positive player. +1

Total: +2

2 Likes

No major issues with your answers

+1

R:+3

1 Like

Oh, it’s you

Sure +1

1 Like

Looks like a good application - I’ll be happy to see how you do in practice.
+1

T: 5

3 Likes

And here we have the first person willing to lie under the new policy. (joke)

Don’t worry, we can beat that out of you. The nazis will help too.

You don’t need auth for obvious grief.

This is a good point, but we do encourage grief prevention even if you’re affected, but can confirm it’s grief. Sometimes just “hey got a minute” is enough to get them to give you probable cause to ban them. But seriously, good answer. If you’re ever in doubt get a second opinion.

Another fun thing: I recognize your name, and not with any bad taste in my mouth.

+1
T: +6

2 Likes

accepting at +6

getting +1’s not just from a headmin, but the big man himself? Quite a pice good sir.