Lavaland Station Event by Aeder - Stories and pictures

the fortifications had the added bennefit of a makeshift getto

2 Likes

I do some fucking around with the mining base sometimes. You can drop the aux base and build a basic atmospherics setup for air mix (since lavaland is now o2/n2/co2 every shift).

You could even stand up a turbine if you want, though gassing ENOUGH plasma would be difficult (unless there’s a way to go from sheets to gas besides burning it that I’m not aware of, plasma refinery not withstanding since it’s disk locked).

this is the kinda of stuff i love in ss13 but i always miss, whens the next time this is happening?

3 Likes

I guess I’m one of the only ones who didnt have a great time with this event. Everything is fine and dandy, the meteors are coming and I’m a virologist trying to get as many viruses as I can before we have to evacuate. We evacuate and I get a decent amount but not anything crazy, eventually I return to the station with the CE and some other people and find out aliens exist and they smashed the console on the mining shuttle for our return trip

I fly around in space until I eventually get chased down by a Praetorian where I then slip (in no gravity, except for some reason on that specific tile theres gravity despite grav gen also being broken) and get stunlocked to death, and shortly after become a xenomorph.

It was interesting at first, HoS and a couple of others came to fight us xenomorphs but after they were dispatched the xenos were kind of just left to their own which led to an extremely boring scenario where I sped around the station on meth speed as a hunter with nothing really happening and eventually giving up and asking an admin to give my character to someone else

many hours later I jump back in and see that queen gave up as well and seemingly went SSD, an admin gave it to the ghosts and I managed to get it. as we enter the shuttle to leave praetorian tells me hes been walking around the station for an hour with nothing happening, giving me a pretty good idea that nothing interesting happend when I left, we then hijack the shuttl- oh wait admins decide to make a portal on the shuttle with a minute left on arrival to centcom, having a bunch of crew pour in making the hijack basically impossible.

the end.

2 Likes

i enjoyed the event a lot! my biggest complaints were that getting everyone down to lavaland was a little jank as was getting people off lavaland. I think if evac had a shuttle arrive to take everyone down to lavaland - not quite the size of the evac ship, but larger than the typical lavaland shuttle - it would feel a bit better traveling there. it also felt kinda bad to have helped make what we thought was going to be an arrivals down at lavaland only for it to have been completely worthless.

I had a great fun as the antagonist of saving private axel, after we made a peace deal with the people of NT they joined forces with the russians and tried to attack our base, single file in a 1x1 approach, delimbed them and just kept firing then ran out with the stechkin and got alot of kills, also i called it before the event it was survive on lavaland round! I think the only thing that wasnt fun was the storms, really slowed down expansion and just nerfed people completely for long periods of time, but thats lavaland i guess.

Just few thoughts based on what I saw while observing for a moment and based on my experience with other lavaland/meteor events

-It shouldn’t be ran on weekends, I actually don’t believe it’s well suited for too high pop, without any expansion lavaland base gets really crowded (there are naturally forming spots where most people will try to setup and hangout and its almost impossible to move around those, especially when trying to pull crate), also communication is a key to success, it’s easier to coordinate 30 people than 70

-Player controlled threats should spawn at lavaland. Prepare ashwalker tribe or xenos for that uprising against outlanders or have regular antags assigned midround (don’t think its a good idea to have them at roundstart), maybe give them unique objectives to sabotage certain aspects of lavaland base if it is going too well.
To make station inhospitable spawn simple mobs in there and maybe use controllable mobs/antags only when there is actually a party heading from lavaland (maybe spawn a ling that decided to make a lair for himself on derelict station or something like that, getting suddenly attacked by supposed survivor would be quite scary and unexpected)

-If it’s possible either give crew beacon to designate landing zone for arrival shuttle (just like the one for mining shuttle in aux base (is it actually still a thing after shuttle rework?)) or as admin set it up on lavaland, and make sure to repair arrival shuttle after it gets damaged by meteors, shuttle was destroyed during the event and new players were dying just as they spawned. Same applies to evac shuttle (now that I think about it maybe custom shuttle should be a part of the event-first we ran away to lavaland from immediate danger and then we try to make our way back to centcom)

-I know its possible to ‘freeze’ atmos, could it be done just on one z-level? I guess stopping atmos processes on station level after meteors hit could limit the lag which is always a pain during this specific type of event

1 Like

At least on fland, the shuttle docks for “repairs” if it’s damaged. Though if someone SSDs ON the shuttle it can’t leave.

Last lavaland event they created invisible chars on lavaland base and people spawned on them instead of the shuttle

Meteors is an (unused) gamemode.

i’m honestly glad it’s not used often. Too much meteors would probably ruin it. Everyone once in a while is nice though

1 Like

I’m not a good writer or storyteller but here’s my experience. Brace for a head ache from reading this

start of the meteor event
i begin by getting my usual clothes and a lot of medical supplies from the nanomed
after a bit of waiting in the overcrowded teleporter room i get to the lavaland outpost
first thing i do is having a drink in the cafeteria with the other 2 first arrivals
not having anything to do as a paramed on such a small outpost i wander around watching people set up their departments
noticing the unopened mining lockers i start whacking at them
someone with mining access comes and opens all 3
i yoink a bluespace shelter pod and a PKA
immediately get an idea to live in the pod as the outpost is severely overcrowded
i get space adapt from the dorms genetics and walk out of the east airlock where i see a pod already deployed
inside i meet Dave whom i ask if he’d mind having a neighbor
after he agrees i deploy my pod a few meters to the side
Dave says he’d like to connect the pods and expand them to the north
i have no problem with that so i leave to do my job for once
i see 2 people seriously hurt to the east so i use the PKA to get to them
about half way there i see the bodies move on the pinpointer followed by them going off sensors
not detoured i keep mining east where i finally see a syndicate outpost with a hole in the wall
not wanting to give up on the crewmates i rush in with only my PKA but i a met with gunfire
me and a single syndie trade a couple blows but neither of us wins as i ran out like a pussy
i (completely intentionally) run into lava and get teleported to a previous spatial location by the nanites in me (i definitely knew that would happen)
i immediately rush to the prison wing where the warden is based
i inform him of the syndicate base and (still naked from the fire) volunteer to go with a rescue team
i go scavenging for clothes around the station but no one brought any spare jumpsuits
i go ask Dave if maybe he’s seen any but he can only offer me his leather jacket thus leaving him shirtless
after a lot more searching i snatch a miner’s jumpsuit off a corpse from “medbay”
i go back to the pod home to overdramaticallly tell Dave that I’m going with the rescue party and that i might not come back
seeing that i don’t have any shoes he offers me his pair
after hesitating a bit i accept them
when i put them on Dave tells me about a suprise he hid inside them
it’s a warm donk pocket
i thank him for the boots and the feet pocket
we exchange hugs and i leave
i visit the warden a few more times updating him on what’s going on on the outpost and informing him about the state of the rescue team
he dubs me the bearer of the bad news
after a while we finally decide to go on the rescue mission with a scuffed team composed of a paramedic, brig physician and a secoff
we didn’t really have a plan and the only weapon i had was a disabler from the warden
when we arrive to the site we immediately get under fire
the secoff takes a hit in the chest from a syndie and a storm begins to rise
we retreat since we didn’t have any shelter pods
when we get to the outpost the brig phys and secoff declare that they’re not going on a second mission unless we get a bigger party
i go to the prison wing once more to tell the warden of our failure
the moment he sees me he asks what horrible thing happened this time
not having anything to do once again i go back to the pod house which has been expanded a lot by dave
on my way there i spot a bunch of gibs in the mining shuttle and on top of them is a pristine pair of swag shoes - a perfect gift for Dave
after an even longer while of doing nothing i spot an ERT team going into the captain’s office
i wait outside for them and i get joined by the soviets
i tip over comrade medibotski a few times and restart him when he has trouble moving
the moment the ERTs leave the soviets rush into the office
as i suspected that the ERTs meeting with the captain was concerning an another rescue mission i run after the commander conrad to volunteer
after a bit of preparation and finally getting decent weapons we depart
since i knew the way trough the rocks i was leading the conga
when we arrived the commander instantly got his right hand blown off by a syndicate sniper
being unable to fire his weapon he called for a temporary retreat
as i was the only doctor with surgery tools he asked me to reattach the arm in the nearby shelter pod
when we got there we realised that the commander somehow grabbed someone’s left hand instead of his right one
since we were in a rush he asked the warden to give his only arm to him
the warden agreed after a bit of hesitation and i got to chopping
meanwhile the rest of the party got engaged by a single syndicate operative who they defeated and brought to the pod
i was almost done with the amputation and the second i cut the last piece of flesh the corpse of the operative exploded killing everyone but me
after a few agonizing minutes of crit, being barely conscious i heard the voice of dave who has come to the rescue along with a secoff
i got healed up in medbay faster than everone else frpm the party so i went outide again to retrieve the brain of a secoff and commander conrad who got gibbed by the blast
when i came back the warden was the one currently being treated
he has lost all his limbs so wanting to cheer him up i tell him “this ain’t too bad, you still got your torso!”
he responds “thank you porter. you always bring the good news”
a few minutes later the commander screamed over the radio that we are being attacked from the front
i ran to the defenses that were set up by secoff max and a few engineers wanting to help where i spoted a bunch of corpses in lava
being a paramedic it was my duty to get them to medbay and by the time i got the last corpse to the outpost the syndicates were defeated
CentCom has announced that the rescue shuttle has docked to the station so everyone rushed to sci/engi to go trought the teleport there but the moment i got on the escape pod i immediately regretted the decision remembering that Dave said he will be staying in the pod house
we ended surviving until the end

Definitely my best round of ss13 ever.
Also i got a recording of the last 15 minutes so if anyone wants to see that then i guess i can post it (i didn’t anticipate this round to be so good so i only saved the 20 minute shadowplay redording at the end)

2 Likes

Suggestion:

In future, use admin area edit to designate an area of the base as the arrivals shuttle, spawn chairs there then delete the chairs on the shuttle. This will make new arrivals spawn there directly.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.