Ban Type:
Temporary global serverban
Ban Length:
3 days
Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/):
2022/06/01
Round ID:
Ban Reason:
Spamming “AMOGUS” at someone over PDA messaging as Chief Engineer. You’ve already been warned about LRP behavior before.
(For more context see report titled: “Unknown CKEY Unfunny PDA spam report”)

Appeal Reason:
Ban feels too long for crime and relative proportion of playtime.

My reasoning for this spam, while not sound, is basically I get pissed off when lawyers send PDA messages and thought I’d get the them back. Obviously, it was weak RP considering I used netspeak doing this, but it’s the type of crap I find funny.

I play A LOT, so this was just one of those instances where I forget I’m supposed to be RPing, and not being silly goofy. I also generally play a pretty ridiculous CE character (Kat Newton), she’s always scheming ridiculous plans, and I feel like this would be the type of thing she’d do.

But yes, I do understand “AMOGUS FORTNITE BALLS” is definitely immersion-breaking and unfunny, but given that what I did was send 7 PDA messages, I think 3 days is a bit long, especially because I play so often, it was really upsetting to see the ban (no, I’m not suggesting that playtime is an exemption from RP, I’m suggesting that usually players have longer times between warnings/reports, but since my playtime is so high, I don’t have that gap in TIME, but I probably have a similar gap in playtime). Also, as a relative proportion of my playtime in the past week, which is probably 40+hrs, this was like a couple second thing where I made a dumb choice.

I can also see how appealing a 3 day ban is a bit extra, but I really like playing BeeStation, I really do look forward to it every day.

Your playtime isn’t low, but it isn’t really as high as this implies either. You have 100 hours spread across two months currently. The real question is how often you have been accumulating notes - how many times have you been bwoinked and had your actions corrected since you started playing?

A three day ban is pretty much a slap on the wrist and it’s normal to see a 1-3 day ban as a result of second offense for the same rule within a short window. Even without a prior offense though, spamming OOC memes is more major than most slip-ups.

1 Like

I’m really not sure on the bwoink frequency, although looking at the reports it seems my character is quite controversial…

I think within the past week I’ve been bwoinked like once or twice, the one I remember is I had to change the Nyaspeak law I uploaded to AI (this was discussed on a forum report recently). I don’t specifically remember another LRP report, but I could have a note? Honestly, I’d love to be able to review my notes just so I know what mistakes I’ve made.

Personally, that moment feels pretty minor to me. It was about 15 seconds of ingame of me being stupid, versus hours of regular RP. That’s how I see it.

It does worry me though, seeing three reports on myself here.

When you’re not banned you can do this in-game under the OOC tab. The command is called “View Admin Remarks”

That in itself is a pretty good sign that you’re willing to adapt to negative criticism - I would recommend making a player feedback thread (and bracing yourself based on the reports) and sift through what you get for how to improve your playstyle.

I have no personal experience with you, so I can’t offer much directly, but recognition that people don’t like what you’re doing, even though you had previously viewed it as mostly harmless, is a great first step toward getting on better with everyone.

Regardless of what happens with this appeal it’s only your first minor ban, It isn’t a heralding of doom even if it stays :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Also, personally, I don’t really see how my characters being absurd classifies as LRP? Like, yes, that is some shit I’d find funny, but also, who is to say Kat Newton isn’t just a weirdo like me? It’s not exactly netspeak, “LMAO”, “LOL” which are actually immersion breaking, because you don’t say those IRL. But I ACTUALLY SAY THIS SHIT, and yes, it’s unfunny as hell, but I’m autistic and a lot of the times it’s more of a vocal stim than anything supposed to be funny. So there’s also a part of me that is like “why can’t my character be stupid like me?”. Yes, she’s supposed to be a head of staff, all professional, but also, why can’t a station crew appreciate some absurdity?

Really appreciate the advice, I’ve gone ahead and made that thread! I’ll also be sure to check my remarks after my ban duration.

In time you may be shocked to learn how many people who play this game are, including staff :laughing:

It’s truly a great game to unravel for us all, and is frequently called “autism bait” for a reason. While I doubt anyone here is a professional at dealing with it, I promise you’re not surrounded by people who have no understanding of autism whatsoever.

It’s probably because you’re a head of staff, most likely. As a head of staff, minimal absurdity is expected because you’re generally expected to be one of the counterbalance people wrangling the absurdity of others, not introducing more of it. You’re not expected to be a totally dry character either, but it should definitely be more toned down than what you seem to have been doing based on what information you’ve shared so far + this ban reason.

Here’s all of the rules specific to heads of staff
As part of you must Roleplay:

• Heads of Staff are expected to enforce SOP within their department.

As part of Powergaming:

• Heads of staff are permitted to defend their own department and subordinates, but should not be patrolling the station for threats unless there is no security.

The rule specifically dedicated to head of staff conduct:

• Heads of Staff are held to higher standards than regular crewmembers. You are expected to be a competent person and competent at all the jobs that work under you. You will be expected to lead your department as a professional and to enforce Standard Operating Procedure upon your underlings. Heads of staff are liable to be jobbanned from all Head roles if they are found to be incompetent at the role. Heads of staff are not beginner-friendly roles on this server, nor roles to take just for cool gear.
  • Your underlings are much more expendable to NT than you are. Heads of Staff generally should not abandon their post unless there is a pressing need to do so. For example, the Captain should almost never be on Lavaland.
  • Heads of Staff have jurisdiction over their department, but not others. They are encouraged to work together to achieve common goals.
  • The Head of Personnel is responsible for managing access to the station, but is only directly in charge of service and supply jobs. The HoP has no authority over Security; the HoP may not act as a Security Officer. Access to a department should only be given after joint communication with the relevant department head, unless there is no head of staff present within it.
  • The captain or acting captain has final say over every department head, and is responsible for every department that has not yet been assigned a head of staff.
  • The Captain’s goal is to ensure the safety of their crew and the success of the station as a whole, not to abuse your position and power-trip over the station. The captain is not required to be totally proficient at all departments, but they should have at least a surface understanding of how each department and role functions.

As part of Leaving the Game

• Heads of Staff and AIs that leave the game (Cryo or not) without notifying admins may find themselves banned from Command/AI roles. As command, you may be playing an integral role in the round and shouldn’t leave without notice, barring an emergency.

I’m absolutely willing to reduce this ban.
You seem willing to admit mistakes and I don’t think you had any malicious intent.

I’ll reduce this to a three-day Command ban so you can still play but I gotta give you something for a bit of FailRP as a head of staff.

Appeal accepted.