Admin’s CKEY:
hellomate
Ban Type:
Sever, Job
Ban Length:
3 days, 7 days
Round ID:
Ban Reason:
Validhunting as captain. You were warned multiple times about using your captain gear to validhunt, especially when security is alive and available. Please don’t do it.
Appeal Reason:
I was not validhunting.
Additional Information:

My intention in space wasn’t to get into a fight, it was to assess station damage to see if a shuttle call was needed or not.

A number of maxcaps had been set off all around the station, damaging the armoury, AI satellite, depatures and cargo. At the time I headed out the person security believed responsible for the bombing was already in custody and the bombings had happened 10 minutes ago. They were even arrested right infront of me, the officer had it handled so I didnt get involved. Then I flew around the station, saw nobody, noted the armoury was fucked, noted depatures was signficiantly damaged, noted the AI core was blown open and the AI missing, asked the detective if they could come over to the AI satellite to try to figure out who stole the AI and then went back inside to call the shuttle as things didn’t look very good.

I didn’t call security because I wasn’t expecting conflict and as expected, I didn’t find conflict. I was headed out to see the aftermath of a conflict, not get involved in an active situation.

How could I be validhunting if the person responsible was already in custody and the incident occured 10 minutes ago?

7 Likes

@Isy
Sorry for the delay, this is a nightmare appeal due to how little I have to work with. I’m currently considering this a note appeal.

I’ve almost reached a conclusion.
However please tell me why you were armed in space if you didn’t expect to encounter any antags in the first place?

Understandable.

I was in space to investigate the damage. I can’t exactly investigate the bombed AI satellite from inside the station. Then I was already in space so I figured it’d just be quicker to go around then head inside and have to deal with suit slowdown. (A lot of the station had lost air).

At the time I was armed with my PTSD and captains laser. I took the captains laser after the many bombs were detonated and we heads declared red alert. I think at this point any reasonable captain would consider taking it due to the miniscule firepower the PTSD offers for self defense. I wasn’t armed because I was going to space, I was armed before that and if I was going hunting I would have wanted more firepower then what I had. (IIRC the captains laser and PTSD combined only have about the same amount of shots as a single laser gun total since caps gun got nerfed).

As I mentioned before, the person responsible was already caught and it’d been 10 minutes, so if other antags were invovled they likely had already left the scene. I needed to understand the situation to make an informed decision of if a shuttle call was needed or not, specifically if the damage would be fixable in a reasonable timeframe with the limited number of engineers.

Much later I grabbed an auto rifle, however that was much after I’d gone inside to call the shuttle and some of the officers were missing. I also don’t think I ever fired it at anyone either.

2 Likes

Captain’s Laser has 10 shots (eight second recharge per shot)
PTSD has 6 shots (twenty second recharge per shot)
Energy guns have 10 shots
Laser guns have 14 shots

2 Likes

Honestly, why didn’t you ask engineers to assess the damage? Captain doesn’t and shouldn’t have to

1 Like

This was over a week ago now, but if I remember right we didnt have many engineers and the ones that were available were busy fixing departures as best they could. I’m not sure if we had comms anomalies either.

1 Like

Alright time to resolve this. I didn’t find any evidence of validhunting and your story holds up in logs.

You had a gunfight in engineering and that’s about the only time you encountered antags.

Still, patrolling around in space when valids are active is suspicious, hence why you got caught here.
Assessing the damages the station has suffered is in my opinion a mission the engineering team has to fulfill. However, the round got pretty chaotic, the engineers were busy, so the cap stepped in to fill in and take a decision that would affect everyone.

I don’t blame the mod for banning you. You never really stated your intent IC except for one instance, I had to reread the logs way too many times over this week to come to a proper conclusion.

If you are gonna venture into dangerous territory, as a security officer would, then make sure to explicitely state to others what you intend to do, unless this only involves yourself.

I can’t undo the ban, but I can adjust the note, and remove any mention of the ban. I do not believe I would have banned you in that case.
The only elements poiting towards clear validhunting are from people salting in dchat, and you do not seem to contradict yourself.

I will however leave a note, both to record your metagaming tendencies (the part about knowing the exact radius of a bomb and deducing whether or not antags were involved was weird), and advise you to more properly advertise what your character is doing/trying to achieve as cap.