Ban Type:
Server
Ban Length:
1 Day
Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/):
2022-08-02 19:35:10
Round ID:
Ban Reason:
Threw an hellfoam grenade on the escape shuttle. EORG starts when the round ends, not on the escape shuttle.
Appeal Reason:
Confusion or Miscommunication over the Situation.

Additional Information:
Story Time, I’ll make it quick.

On this round, a lot happened. I was the captain, and the shuttle was about to arrive. Myself and the brig physician managed to slay a traitor who shot at us with a .357 and when investigated, they had the HoS, Warden and an Officer dead in his backpack, probably using bluespace bodybags. The shuttle arrives a minute later and is emagged almost as soon as it arrives, I run to the teleporter room and luckily I am able to teleport to the shuttle.

Almost as soon as I arrive to the shuttle a traitor begins to hijack the shuttle, spewing out those error messages. A traitor had previously bought the “Oh Hi Daniel” shuttle so there was very little room. I spent the next seconds trying my best to remove the traitor however it appeared a changeling was protecting them and I was only armed with a disabler and a grenade. After the console spat out its fourth error message, I knew we were nearly out of time so I ran into the shuttle cockpit and primed the grenade. I ran into the cockpit to ensure the grenade would detonate inside the shuttle cockpit to minimize casualties, however due to this being the daniel shuttle a number of people still died.

In hindsight, perhaps I should have just let the shuttle be hijacked. I’m not sure if shuttle hijacks are considered similar to things like cult summons as in extreme force is justified because if the shuttle is hijacked all of the crew will either be killed or taken prisoner by the syndicate or they are not and methods of attack with some friendly fire are unjustified. I did my best to minimize casualties however the foam still spread 2 or so tiles outside of the cockpit.

I ahelped myself to explain the situation since I thought I’d probably get bwoinked, however it was quickly considered resolved and despite the short explanation I was allowed to give I was still banned for EORD’ing. Even if this isn’t resolved before the day ban expires, I’d like the note changed to be more accurate to the situation.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that I havent explained why I had the grenade. The armoury was looted besides 2 disablers and the grenade launcher. We were on red alert and changelings/traitors were running rampant. I made 3 hellfoam grenades and loaded them into the grenade launcher. Remember I was the captain so it is expected I would try to fix a red alert situation as well as only gear up with guns once things go to shit. Little was left in terms of weapons so I made do with what I had.
I had previously used one of the grenades to deal with the traitor who attacked me and the brig physician.

Another Note: The hellfoam grenades I made were not designed to have the maximum radius, only using 25u flourosurfacant so the radius was notably smaller. By detonating it in the little bridge room it only spread 2 or so tiles outside of the room with the hijack. Using a grenade with a massive radius on the shuttle is something I agree would be wholly unreasonable.

TLDR: Why I’m innocent
1: I never made any attempt to EORD.
2: All of security was dead, there was a changeling seemingly cooperating with the traitor hijacking, nobody else seemed to be able to stop the hijack.
3: I had only seconds to decide, either let the shuttle be hijacked or use the weapon I had. It would be unfair to bring hindsight into this considering in my situation I only had seconds to decide.
4: I still did my very best to minimize crew casualties by running the grenade into the cockpit and dying myself to minimize excess spread.
5: The Daniel shuttle was specifically purchased by a traitor. It is a result of that traitors actions that we were stuck in such a chaotic and dangerous shuttle where incidents of friendly fire were much harder to avoid.
6: My intention was never to grief. I was in a highly stressful situation with only seconds to decide on a course of action. The rules around what force is justified to prevent a shuttle hijack are fairly unclear and I tried to use the least destructive option until it was clear it would not work, then tried to minimize the negative effect of the more destructive action. If this was a mistake, I think it was a reasonable one to make and one I definately do not plan on repeating.

3 Likes

I’m of the idea the ban should stay.
Hijack does not work like the summoning, especially on the daniel shuttle!
I will however edit the ban and note to better reflect what happened. Not EORG, but an attempt to stop an hijack with a grenade launcher on an extremely small escape shuttle, which resulted in MANY casualities.

I do understand that, but the effect was the same. You should have tried using a less “high collateral” method.

I’ll wait for another admin to reply before taking any action

Yea this reads pretty bad, honestly
A response like leveling a cityblock to stop a carjacking.

It’d have been easier to just go “yes, i did acidentes early EORG :)”
that’d have been easier to get out of tbqh with you bro.

Huge props for owning up to what happend in reality though, i guess.

With this being only a one day ban which ought to be almost over at this point - let it stick.

I’ll deny the appeal, but edit what the note and ban say.