Integrated Electronics: The Guide

This is a pretty good guide, put a lot of detail and effort into this.

I do what I can. Guides for Viro, Botany, Chemistry (Ghetto and Standard), Cooking, Ghetto Surgery, and a general guide regarding how some modules can optimally interact through gameplay are in the works. Viro, Bot, Cooking all have their formatting laid out with some entries filled, Chemistry is 90% done. Ghetto stuff and module interplay I’m just jotting down notes for as they come up. All of those guides will include things that aren’t currently on the wiki, or are outdated on the wiki. I prioritized IE because it’s never had a good guide, from what a quick google revealed. Just lists of device codes, with no explanation on how they were built.
I think part of the issue is that often the wiki is not updated or filled out with respect to how a coder would look at it, instead favoring the scientific approach of how systems work as they play in game to the layman.

and circuits will be removed because everyone spams them. great job.

1 Like

That’s the pessimistic view in a nutshell, yes. The optimistic one is that people will try and do nice things, and admins will ban shitters. Since, you know. That’s their job. Banning shitters.

5 Likes

and that has never happened… this is ss13 not some nice untoxic comunity.

You had the option of just saying this was a good guide but opted for being cringe. great job.

4 Likes

Why is this a module! Something like that should involve actually accessing TComms and planting a module in the server or something.

Yeah that thing makes the old tcomms NTSL scripts sounds perfectly fine and balanced… That would at least require you to access tcomms and write some code into the server.

It’s a component (had me worried when you said “module” - though you meant the whole IE system), because coders are intimidated by the IE module. It’s complex. There are a lot of moving parts. I’ve posted a few simple, one-line bug fixes that would fix several components. It’s been a few months. None have been addressed. I don’t have a problem with the tcomm interceptor component, if it were tweaked a little. Being able to actually selectively intercept messages would be a plus. Increased power consumption drastically when the jammer is on, or making the jammer a separate component would be a plus. So much of IE requires fine tuning, but no one ever will - except to remove things, because that’s easier than fixing them. The Thrower component - which, lazily, a few components and assemblies still continue to reference - is an example of this. Someone figured a way to abuse it, so instead of it being fixed, it was just sloppily axed. In this particular instance - if the component was just straight removed, there would be zero way to get input from comms.

Updated.
All that’s left now is the example, conclusion, and looking things over to make sure spelling, grammar, and the information presented are all correct. The example will have pictures included.

First draft done, with the example linked to a different thread - since I maxed out the character limit in the OP of this one.
Reminder to post questions here, I’m happy to answer.

1 Like

If an administrator would kindly move this guide, and the Flashlight example to the Circuits sub-category (maybe even favor them with a pin?) - that’d be lovely.

EDIT: Thanks!

Just wanted to say, great guide made a couple of things. Biggest challenge is actually figuring out what the hell to build in my opinion :smiley:

1 Like

Absolutely agreed - which is why I made a little section regarding that. I treat IE like I do regular programming. One is either trying to solve a problem, or make something better, with automation. You need to know what is possible, though - hence why I suggest studying available components religiously.

EDIT: Thanks to the staff (and le Reddit, of course! :^] ) for pinning this. I am particularly proud of this guide, since I love the module, and I don’t think there’s ever been a guide with this kind of depth relating to it.

In the interest of helping others - I’m more than willing to give some pointers on-server. I play almost exclusively on Sage, my Scientist characters is Maria Petrova. Please do hit me up if you have an interest in learning Circuits, or need help with any particulars.
I’m also available on the forum most days to answer questions, either in the thread, or via PM.
Additionally, I’ll be available on the Discord when I get back home. My Discord is Pyramid_Scheme#1295
Remember - as fun as working with IE is, always do the basic research first. Mining, Advanced Mining, and T3 parts - preferably. Nothing is more irritating then to have someone steal initial points, then stick their heads in an assembly for the rest of the shift.

EDIT: Back on Discord, and comfy at home.

1 Like

Based man taugh me how to make my own flashlight i also i met u like yesterday, we had in robotics robot that works like simplified poly it was called circuit gang and would repeat stuff they said in robotics

1 Like

So far flashlight is all i can do but one day i will powergame with my big brain

ok now i know how to make flashlight that says im gay every two seconds

edit now i made it that when it says gay it turns light off, and then on again when it says it again

edit Now i figured out how to make reagent sucking smoke making plasma fire maker, well it doesnt ignite u have to ignite it yourself
edit after 5 minutes i realized that not only there is component that makes sparks but also one that has a delay

edit after some big brain thinking i made device that displays your health and heals with smoke at soft crit + second device that works with this and heals u when u missin 10% everything automatic, but its flawed so im making third tiny device that stops the health scan cus it only displays health % but heals brute + burn so basically if u have toxin you will be killed… because device will overdose

and yeah circuit gang ! Also i got to this level in 3 days not bad, it all started with flashlight that calls u gay.

1 Like