Inithis Admin Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
Inithis
Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
Inithis#6662
How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone):
4pm CST to 12pm CST usually, but my sleep schedule is chaos and I may be on at 2am.
What changes, if any, would you bring?:
I would one-hundred percent seek to run more events for the server. For me, they were some of the most fun I’ve had in SS13. I also feel it would encourage people to engage more in RP on Sage, and reduce the feeling of ‘sameness and burnout’ that many veteran players have with the game by providing some interesting variety.
How old are you?:
22, almost 23. This feels like I’m admitting I’m middle-aged, honestly.
Why do you want to be an admin?:
I love this game, I really do. The amount of variety, complexity, and all the emergent behaviors it generates as a result of that. I’ve had a great time playing on Beestation, and Sage especially. I think this server has a lot going for it, and I’d like to help make it better. I’m happy to help with handling tickets and all the work that needs to be done, but what draws me in particular is helping to better the RP experience of the game. I want to run events, respond to prayers, engage via centcom messages, etc. I’m hoping that I can help make Beestation a stronger community and foster the growth of its best elements.
How long have you been playing SS13?:
For about four months, and 350ish hours. If you’re willing to count Unity, where I started, then probably 500 hours.
How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
322 hours as of the time of writing.
On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
6. There are still some systems I don’t understand, and departments I just don’t play often, but I’d say I have a solid grounding in the game, and a deep knowledge of Engineering in particular.
On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?:

1. I’ve messed about with some of the admin tools on a private server, so I have a very basic familiarity. I would absolutely love to learn more about the tools and how they can be properly used.
    Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
    I ran a minecraft server for my middle school back in 2012, which had maybe 30 people in it. Yes, I know, I’m a disgusting zoomer.
    Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
    No.
    Your strengths:
    I am extraordinarily humble.
    No, but really: I think I’m good at mediating disputes between others without getting heated or upset. I’m generally an optimist, and I’d like to think I’m relatively pleasant to talk to. I’m pretty non-offensive as a human being, and I absolutely do not try to stir up trouble.
    Your weaknesses:
    I can get overwhelmed fairly easily by extremely difficult or chaotic situations, especially when they are unexpected or novel. I struggle with self-doubt in social interactions, although I don’t think it’s bad enough to be a huge detriment - more just a personal struggle.
    Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
    Hmm. Intentionally throwing slurs around, or being unreasonably angry and petulant about something minor. I do think I’m fine at managing this kind of anger, though.
    What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
    A level head. I think it is incredibly important to stay cool and rational to avoid arbitrary judgements and punishments. Secondarily, I’d say compassion.
    What makes a staff team good?:
    Consistency is huge. When rule enforcement feels arbitrary and biased, people get angry, and confused as to what the actual standard they should hold themselves to is. When enforcement is very regular and expected, the majority of people will conform and be happy with the state of things.
    I’d also say a sense of involvement and membership in the community is essential. If you have an adversarial relationship with your players, everyone involved is gonna be deeply unhappy. That’s the kind of problem that can kill entire communities.
    What is a staff team’s purpose?:
    At a base level, to enforce the rules of the server on the behalf of the community and ensure the smooth operation of the kind of game that people want to play. With that more or less covered, to attempt to better the experience of the players and make the game more fun.
    What kind of player are you?:
    I generally like to play three different roles. The first is to get involved in some kinda character RP in the station, helping someone with a plan they have, or watching/participating in some interesting occurrence. The second is to play Engineer, sometimes even outside of Engineering - building a robust medbay, making a public surgery clinic as a Roboticist, overhauling the department design. The third is to play a command role like Chief Engineer or AI, which is the most fun when your department actually engages with you. I like to keep track of their activities, help them out with personal goals, and coordinate everyone for big projects or handling disasters.
    How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
    I will probably talk smack less on Discord. Not that I did it a ton to begin with, but doing it with the fancy pink name just seems like people might actually think they’re in trouble or grudged instead of it just being banter.
    I’ll also have to actually read all of SoP and commit it to memory. The sacrifices we make for what we love.
    Other than that, I mostly just hope I’ll pick up the admin skills and get used to handling the various issues that crop up in a public SS13 server.
    The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
    Check first to see if the clown is an antagonist. Next, assuming no, bwoink the clown and explain that he can’t just steal high-value/traitor objective items, and I believe proper procedure would be to then issue a note about the incident. The gun could then be replaced for the HoS from Centcom.
    A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
    Well, that seems like a pretty clear instance of someone just intentionally griefing. Give them a chance to explain themselves, but that’s pretty much got to be a ban. I’m unsure what the proper duration/practice would be, but someone blatantly trying to do that much damage should probably have to appeal their ban.
    A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
    This happens all the time. If it’s an accident, no intervention is necessary, unless this is an every-round kind of thing - and then I doubt that it’s truly accidental.

Thank you for your consideration.

4 Likes

+1, good answers, lots of time, fewer bans than I have.

Well, consistency would be good but if its at the cost of making the rules any longer than they already are so new players would need to spend hours reading, its a bit of a problem.

They did a consistent system on /tg/ and it sucks as you have hundreds on situations which are “precedent” for bans and nobody knows all of them yet they are still used as justification and enforced.

Anyways, maybe you’ll get some big idea to make a better system, good on you if you do.

Just my own opinions on this.

1 Like

Thank you for the perspective. I agree that it’s a tricky issue, and I didn’t mean to assert that it was easily resolved.

Seems fine to me, hope the rest of your app goes well. +1

1 Like

I’m retired but I felt like that needed to be pointed out, being active in the community as a admin and just doing things to make yourself known is one of the best ways to start off with people liking you. That what I always strived for and I did streams on discord all the time to try to get people in the VC’s and just chat, they get to know me a little and at least put a voice to a ckey so they aren’t going to hate me that hard right off the bat at least. I don’t see many people mentioning that aspect much (though I haven’t really been active on forums for the past couple of months) but I really like seeing this in your application.

1 Like
  1. LRP, warden hides in locker in armory. When captain enters armory he gets out and kills him. What do, how do you start the ticket?
  2. You see scientist making 8 maxcaps, you ignore him for some time and the hear many explosions, how do you react if:
    -he blew them up
    -someone else blew them up
  3. Prisoner complains he got 10 minutes instead of 6 minutes as described in space law. What do you do?
  4. Scientist attacks other scientist for stealing bio bag. Any rules broken?
  5. You see relatively new miner, dead, next to goliath, he prays for revive, what do? how do you respond (if you respond).

Looks like a good app. If you’re ready to stop playing the game (that’s only a half joke) then +1

Just tagging in on Isy’s comment about consistency. He’s right, consistency is hard to peg because literally every situation (apart from griefers) is different! Context matters a LOT in this game as we all know. So, a traitor maxcapping the SM for no reason is going to be treated differently than a traitor with the same objectives trying to maxcap the armory to help keep security on their back foot.

1 Like

Also total counter:

Isy: +1
Vinyl: +1
Me: +1

T = +3

You get a +1 from me too

1 Like

I will note that I cracked open the rules and SoP to answer these, I wasn’t sure off of the top of my head.

1. If I have the tool to do so, I would teleport him to an admin jail for the ticket. Then, of course, there’s the obligatory “why did you do that?” Assuming that no good explanation is forthcoming… well, it’s definitely ban-worthy to just abuse your security job to kill the captain for giggles. I would like to learn more about the ban system to know whether that would be a jobban or timed/permaban kind of thing.
    I don’t think it’s incredibly relevant herein that it’s LRP. Even on Golden, using your Security job to gun down Command is out of line and obvious griefing.
  2. If he blew them up, and wasn’t an antag, bwoink and check hours, there’s a decent chance they’re just here to grief the server and should be banned to prevent further damage. If they are a non-hijack antag, then that is probably a hilarious amount of excessive damage, and they should be bwoinked and talked to, hopefully just ending in a note and a promise not to be so extreme.
    If someone else blew them up… hmm. That would be a case of extreme negligence regardless, and they should probably be ahelped and noted, assuming they agree that it was a terrible idea and agree to not do it again. Exceptional circumstances might include if nukies were about to attack, or it was to fight a blob, but I’m assuming that in this particular scenario they had no reason to make eight maxcaps. Truthfully, I’m not sure this is necessarily noteworthy, but it seems good to note it in case they are making a habit of leaving maxcaps around for anyone to find and use.
  3. This is such a small thing, but. If it’s a blueshift, the Head of Security has the right under SOP to dictate a different sentence, but on a greenshift I don’t think they do. Probably just adminwhisper the Head of Security that their non-compliance with SoP was noticed, and to remind them to do better next time. Could probably do it all fairly IC through a ‘headset message from Centcom’ kinda thing.
  4. Upon reviewing the rules… I don’t think it would be, provided it doesn’t come to sending each other into crit. Small-level theft is an IC issue, and minor scuffles are permitted.
  5. I’d like to ask the other admins about how they treat this kind of situation, but without any further knowledge… I’d like to revive him, but I’m not sure if that would be going too far.
    I did much the same and died a ton when I started mining - it is pretty unforgiving for new people who don’t have a solid grounding on the ways to kill fauna and make themselves much harder to kill.

Thank you for your consideration, and I hope these answers are sufficient.

I do that often, just to either sell them to cargo or go mining with them.

This issue is entirely IC. You don’t have to follow SoP 1:1, especially on LRP server.

What if he just took the biobag from xenobio?

:+1:

I hadn’t considered mining with or selling maxcaps - I’d never even heard of selling them. My mistake.

My bad, and yeah that wouldn’t have even been a thing on LRP.

You can just take a biobag, it isn’t a big deal and shouldn’t need admin intervention.

Answers are good you have my +1.

1 Like

Other than this curious point a +1 from me.

2 Likes

Hah, well. I didn’t know the forums existed, but I’m on Discord a lot.

you forgot this ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ1+

T: 7+

1 Like

We need more admins that are proper tax-paying adults. Give this man admin.

I’ll throw the +1 in myself as I have not yet voted and the app looks good.

1 Like

Seems pretty good. +1

T:+9 (I think?)

1 Like

Something like that.