Increase required playtime for all head roles and above to 50h minimum

I for one certainly could’ve benefited from that, I got all my engi hours from playing Atmos tech right when I started the game and then when it came to play CE I couldn’t setup the SM and got jobbaned eventually. So I think making sure that a head has atleast some experience in every role would be a really good idea.

That is the entire point. As CE you’re the last line of defence against the Sm come singulo.

I’ve seen hilariously inept HoS before, and it’s very common knowledge they tend to be unrobust, an almost literal requirement.

I spoke in admin chat about a CMO the other day that accidentally made unstable mutagen40u patches in their Synthflesh factory which were then distributed to wounded crew. Literally the opposite of what they are meant to be achieving.

HoP has the power to give everyone access to everything. No matter what you want. To get to robusted as HoP is to open the station up into a free for all. The same applies to captain.

I really do not see any advantage of letting some chuckle fuck that has played a handful of rounds, possibly in only one role in the department, being the leader and in charge of game and station changing roles. It should be a reward for learning to be given the opportunity to govern.

2 Likes

Needs to know how to stop a delam

Needs to not give out AA to their metafriends cough

Needs to manage the AI as well as a department that can bomb the station into dust

Need to manage the bomb making department and also keep the station not dead

HoS

Needs to prevent shitsec and warden from leaving Brig

Is this actually being considered or a joke thread?

I only have 15 hours non-head engineering, yet I can do pretty much everything engineering wise, including CO2 sms and stopping delams
and you want to pump it up to 50 hours
bruh moment… :flushed:

38 hours as non head SCI
yet I can do pretty much everything in SCI…
:flushed:

2 Likes

i like this being bumped up but 50 hrs is way too much, maybe lower it down a good chunk maybe 10 or 20?

Which is why I’m not saying “abolish required playtime” - I’m saying that it doesn’t necessarily equate to competence, and that a better way might to require the same total current playtime, but distributed across all roles in a department.

I have hours as atmos tech and I don’t understand it all

That’s my point, yes.

As bluescope has said; it appears the best option here is to only slightly increase the playtime for heads, as well as have a minimum time in each individual job role.

As a head you should at least have a basic grasp of all concepts of the department. You should not be expected to know all the secret chems as CMO or how to fusion and rare gas mix as CE.

In the above two examples, as long as you can create the right chems to heal people as CMO and stop the SM from delaming in most cases as CE, and can understand who is meant to be where doing what, should be enough.

It is kind of sad that this very low bar is not met by some of the people selecting a head role as “high” priority. This in my opinion is what is causing a lot of the problems.

Always have harm intent on as HoS incase you come across an unbeaten clown

How about a certain requirement to do a certain thing? It kind of works like badges, but they don’t show up like them. It works like: If you print an inducer you complete one sci milestone, make some basic slimes on different rounds a number of times and you get a milestone for sci again. After a number of easy to complete, but basic milestones to show that you understand the basics of each job within that department you may play as a head within that department.
Also, sorry for the necro, but I feel like this may still be relevant and wanted to put my idea in too.

This might cause some issues of: damn i did like all the stuff but i qvoided doing this one single thing and now im locked from being a head

1 Like

I know, I meant like how about not having to do certain things, but just doing a number of things in a certain area of a department instead.

1 Like

Problem would be getting someone to code it, also, refer to the Pyro update on tf2, they added pyro objectives and gave them to EVERYONE
Jungle inferno was a fucking inferno alright, everyone trying to complete these fucking objectives.

Pull request made to increase playtime requirement to 20 hours in the relevant department.

1 Like

thank god

1 Like

This is something that should have been done a long time ago to be honest.

Good PR.

1 Like