Ice Type banned by Ro5490

CKEY: Ice Type

Admin’s CKEY: Ro5490

Ban Type: Ban from all servers

Ban Length: 14 days

Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/): 2023-02-09

Round ID: 42429

Ban Reason: As RD, Executed an antag who had a holoparasite while the antag was in the middle of medbay and having active RP with the captain and CMO. Taking advantage of an EMP that went off to exeucte the IPC antag who had yet to cause any harm, while their holoparasite was actively healing themselves and two other IPC’s that where affected by the EMP. Please take this time to improve your RP standards, as you also had no RP before opening fire…

Appeal Reason: Firstly, I’d like to say that it was very professional of the admin in question to ban me mid ticket before I could even finish explaining myself. Real classy. Furthermore, this ban reason is very far from the truth.

I at first was simply spectating the rap battle between the holopara and the seccie, when all of a sudden a massive EMP goes off, that I presume to be from the holopara, and then I start to choke, because the EMP set an air alarm to panic siphon. As a result, I seek refuge in medbay, so I don’t die. In there I see the holopara, with from what I could see no security around. Then, I see it seemingly punching the mail IPC. (apparently it was healing, but I didn’t know that) From that information, I assume the holopara user is about to kill us all, and do the first thing I can think of, which is to protect myself with my PTSD. Turns out as the EMP was not from the holopara, the IPC was very damaged, and because of holopara mechanics I wasn’t aware of in or out of character, the IPC gets dusted.

No idea where you got “no RP” from. I was RPing up until I thought the holopara was about to kill us all, and which point fight or flight kicked in, which makes sense IC too.

I did not intend to kill, or even fight the holopara and IPC, until I thought it was about to kill us all. If I did, I would have opened fire through the window while the rap battle had just finished.

TLDR: Given a 14 day ban for an IC ISSUE!!! My roleplay was 100% consistent and in character, so I don’t see what I did wrong roleplay wise. Yes, OOC I made mistakes, but this is an RP server, no?

Every explanation you had given already where at best, attempts to avoid a ban.
You knew the bwoink was coming, as without saying anything about what the issue was you said this -

Your first explanation was this -

Explanation 1

I’m following, curious about the holopara, when I see a massive EMP blast that presumably came from it. In order to seek shelter, I enter the medbay, where I see the cruel IPC’s minion attack the poor, defenceless, mailbot, In fear of what will come to happen, I attack, to ensure my safety, and that of the mailbot. Outside of mine, and my character’s, scope of knowledge, apparently holopara users are highly volatile, and turn to dust upon death.

Not only are holoparasites unable to EMP, the holoparasite in question was healing an IPC, not attacking a mailbot. Also, you saw active RP between a holoparasite and a security officer, yet you also claim not to see any security in sight when in medbay.

Healing effects all show a very nice healing graphic/animation/animated sprite, as such you should maybe have taken a moment to actually look, rather that going guns blasting.

The Holopara user is an IPC, so even if the holoparasite set off the EMP, they would have been in trouble for doing so as it took out their own master. As such, maybe a bit of common sense could have been applied to this situation and you could have taken a moment to think about it.
You actively ran from a zone without the antag, into a zone where you knew the IPC antag was, after an EMP, and shot them dead with no threat to yourself as they where still unconcious from the EMP.

So not only did you kill someone who was unconcious without any RP, you could have arrested them as they where unconcious, or called security to deal with the situation.

The CMO, Captain, and a security officer had all had positive RP interactions with the IPC and Holoparasite in the moments before the EMP. And the CMO was in the process of upgrading the IPC’s ID to help around medbay, as the holoparasite could heal.

Not once did the IPC or Holoparasite attack you, or make any moves to do so, this wouldnt be self defence.

I’ve also just checked previous round logs, You’ve played holoparasite yourself in the past 2 months, so should at least have some general knowlege about them.

Your logs that round leading up to the incident -

Zero RP. You saw a “ghost” the Holoparasite, then mention over comms that Daniel the IPC has a Holopara. Then you yell about air alarms, and run into medbay.
Then you shoot at an unconcious Daniel(IPC/Antag) and kill them.

You later get arrested for the murder.

If thats the case, you should have had them arrested by the security officer you saw during the rap battle. Or even had security come down to medbay and deal with the situation.

This just shows that you would have been happy to validhunt in this situation, even with a security officer present.

You have a Two week server ban, and a Month command ban.
Command staff are held to a higher standard, and your behavior recently has not improved.

I’ll leave this open for a little to let you attempt to explain yourself futher, or to apologise.
You should also take this time to do some research on the Wiki about any antags you might not be sure about, so this doesnt happen in the future. Also take a look at Command SoP and Re-Read our Rules, and the Escalation Policy.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Every explanation you had given already where at best, attempts to avoid a ban.
You knew the bwoink was coming, as without saying anything about what the issue was you said this -
Everyone knows what “Hey there, got a moment?” means.

Not only are holoparasites unable to EMP, the holoparasite in question was healing an IPC, not attacking a mailbot. Also, you saw active RP between a holoparasite and a security officer, yet you also claim not to see any security in sight when in medbay.

I didn’t know they couldn’t EMP, in or out of character, and that IPC’s whole gimmick was that they delivered mail. I didn’t see any sec in the moment while I was in medbay later, not then. (And if the rap officer was there, they weren’t wearing their uniform, making them harder to spot)

Healing effects all show a very nice healing graphic/animation/animated sprite, as such you should maybe have taken a moment to actually look, rather that going guns blasting.

Which are hard to see in the light blue medbay IN THE DARK, when panicking, thinking I’m about to die.

The Holopara user is an IPC, so even if the holoparasite set off the EMP, they would have been in trouble for doing so as it took out their own master. As such, maybe a bit of common sense could have been applied to this situation and you could have taken a moment to think about it.
You actively ran from a zone without the antag, into a zone where you knew the IPC antag was, after an EMP, and shot them dead with no threat to yourself as they where still unconcious from the EMP.

I ran into medbay as it was the closest safe area, and I didn’t want to die. Yes, it would have been smarter to run into science, that’s a skill issue, not a character or a rules issue.

I presumed the EMP could not hurt friendlies, and I didn’t realise the IPC had been down by the EMP.

So not only did you kill someone who was unconcious without any RP, you could have arrested them as they where unconcious, or called security to deal with the situation.

I didn’t know they were unconscious, and the big scary holopara was doing just fine, from what I could see.

The CMO, Captain, and a security officer had all had positive RP interactions with the IPC and Holoparasite in the moments before the EMP. And the CMO was in the process of upgrading the IPC’s ID to help around medbay, as the holoparasite could heal.

I wish I’d seen that, but unfortunately I didn’t.

Not once did the IPC or Holoparasite attack you, or make any moves to do so, this wouldnt be self defence.

I had thought I’d just seen it attack the single least harmless person in that room, so I thought it was about to go full murderbone.

I’ve also just checked previous round logs, You’ve played holoparasite yourself in the past 2 months, so should at least have some general knowlege about them.

No I haven’t? I fought alongside a holopara as a giant space carp once, but that’s it. From that experience and having looked at the wiki, I only knew holoparas had different powers, and that their powers were likely friendly/enemy aware, and reacted accordingly. The holoparasite was even light blue, same as the EMP, so I guessed that was some sort of EMP holopara or something.

Zero RP. You saw a “ghost” the Holoparasite, then mention over comms that Daniel the IPC has a Holopara. Then you yell about air alarms, and run into medbay.

Calling it a ghost was my knee-jerk reaction to seeing a holopara, something my character had been briefed on, but had never seen before.

Then afterwards, as my character had time to think, and put 2+2 together after watching the IPC bleed following the holopara getting smacked.

Then all of a sudden the air dissapeared, I realised it was the EMP, tried radioing the AI to get them to fix the air alarms, realised my radio had been deactivated, turned it on and tried again, finally getting through to them.

If thats the case, you should have had them arrested by the security officer you saw during the rap battle. Or even had security come down to medbay and deal with the situation.

The security officer I didn’t see then, or the security force I presumed would take too long to get there before I got mauled?

This just shows that you would have been happy to validhunt in this situation, even with a security officer present.

The hell? No it does not. If I had been validhunting, I would have hunted the antag, which I did not do.

You have a Two week server ban, and a Month command ban.
Command staff are held to a higher standard, and your behavior recently has not improved.

What recent behaviour? Only thing I can think of was the hive mind incident, which was an unfortunate combination of inexperience, and the wrath of dynameme.

Edit: Oh yeah, there was also the TTV, that came from a misunderstanding of the rules that I have not repeated once. (End of edit)

I have acted and played in good faith for the entirety of my still very limited playtime, so this seems unfair, and way out of proportion for what was an OOC blunder. You seem to have the impression that I am acting in bad faith, which is strange and not at all true.

The wiki is a shaky resource at best, with a whole lot of contradictory or strangely placed information.

Also take a look at Command SoP and Re-Read our Rules, and the Escalation Policy.

I have done this and the vast majority of the time follow it completely.

I understand, and am sorry, that this messed up someone’s rare tot round, but operating on the information I was aware of at the time, and with the very limited time to think I had considering the circumstances, I did not knowingly break.

Wait two months ago I’d only just started playing the game… where’s you get these logs from?

player of EPS-274, IPC, delivering mail
trying to report the little of what I recollect from the given situation

if I remember correctly, I first witnessed the holoparasite at about the same time as the RD; that means, according to my memory, that there was a window of time between that first sighting and the incident in medbay hall

given the EMP situation and malfunctioning, I took the opportunity to deliver mail to wrong recipients as “language matrix” was garbled; from later interaction with RD at robotics, only then they seemed to have realized that I got caught in the EMP blast

I don’t remember details of interacting with the holopara in particular, even in terms of being hit by it, but considering the EMP was neither the doing of the other IPC or of the RD, I find it to have been a confusing situation to decipher, especially at said moment

I was observing during the whole ordeal, i never saw what caused the EMP(honestly it would be cool to know who used it, it was either the chemist or someone who found a random emp nade, i doubt they had a valid reason to do it) i even took this picture moments before the EMP went off when the dissing was happening

The only thing i can add is that medbay wasn’t ‘‘safe’’ the EMP affected chemistry, the hallway where RD is standing and medbay lobby so everyone was suffocating due to the air alarm starting to siphon, from then there was a couple of seconds of the Holopara healing their master and EPS, Mr mailman, to stabilize them

What i also saw was the IPC/Tot punching someone by accident once or twice (probably brain trauma from the EMP) perhaps this quick sucession of events led to RD to pull the trigger, still he was very incapacitated and took a while to stand up because they were constantly taking damage and the holopara healing wasn’t enough.

Also as seen on the picture the Captain and the Security officer were present the entire time up until the EMP and the death of the traitor but they were playing along with the RP scenario

Medbay was still pressurised, at least when I went in there. What set me off was seeing the holopara seemingly attack EPS, which led me, to enter a fight or flight response where I incorrectly assumed escape was not an option. The captain in the image was not visible from where I was standing either.

(From what I gathered after the round the EMP was the clown’s doing)

Hello, Holopara player here, I’ll give my perspective of the situation. Daniel had some goofy gimmick about styles, and we merely ran around with chamaleon gear and laughed at other people’s clothing.

We go into chemistry, fabled “rap” battle with sec officer happens, and crowd gathers around chemistry. RD was very much present during the vast majority of the situation, and it was clear that the man in green was a security officer.

(And if the rap officer was there, they weren’t wearing their uniform, making them harder to spot)

Only thing that may possibly confuse him for some other profession would’ve been the green shirt and khaki pants, but otherwise they were clearly wearing security gear.

Security officer leaves for a while, CMO comes in and tells Daniel that he’s getting promoted, security officer comes back and EMP happens. (Unsure as to where the security officer goes post-EMP, possibly present during the following)

This part was kind of hectic since Daniel’s chamaleon clothing had been EMP’d, and I just tried to heal any IPC I could see, healing the mailman in the process. It takes me about 15 seconds to notice who Daniel was, and I start healing him. Shortly after I find Daniel, RD comes in and shoots us. End of story.

While I can dig into the whole Holoparasites having new abilities you weren’t aware of (since we do get new stuff added every now and then), I honestly don’t dig into your reasoning at all.

Which are hard to see in the light blue medbay IN THE DARK, when panicking, thinking I’m about to die. (Healing particles)

If I recall correctly, there was light around the area by the time I was healing people; sure, emergency lights which were red, but there was light, and to me the healing particles were quite visible (Had there not been any light, I wouldn’t have been able to actually locate and heal Daniel.)
I don’t get the “light blue medbay” part, but assuming it is the floor you mention, healing particles appear above the character being healed, so this should have brought no issues whatsoever.
Had you taken time to look at your surroundings for at least five seconds or less, you would’ve realized what was actually happening, but you kiindaa just went with the guns blastin’ alternative.

There was also the ever-available choice of… running away. Sure, the main doors of medbay were EMP’d, but the southern hallway had not been affected, and I doubt maintenance had been affected either. From what I’ve seen, you just seemed trigger-happy about the situation and went ahead with killing Daniel, to shortly after resume your job in toxins as if nothing EVER happened.

For one, I get the urge. Some of us see the valid and we go unga bunga, there’s no denying it; but I am sure 95% of the playerbase tries to smack some sense into the situation before jumping to conclusions and lethal’ing the most-likely threat.

Not that it really matters to the report, but I should add that never did Daniel ever mention any intentions of killing and/or harming anybody; he was merely messing around (and found out).

Edit: Grammar

1 Like

I was aware the green no helmet seccie was a secoff, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t mistake them for service personnel at a glance every time. I wasn’t looking until the very last bit of healing you did to EPS, so I only had a very narrow sliver of time to notice any particles at all, which was especially hard considering my adrenaline at the time kept my focus on the position of only the most important entities. I 100% saw you heal Daniel, but I assumed that’s what you would do anyway, and that maybe they’d fought and killed a secoff or something, so they needed healing from that. (From my prior understanding holopara attacks were entirely context dependent, and could not heal non tot-aligned entities)

In the heat of the moment, my dumb ass ruled out running away, thinking that you could just chase me down and kill me if I tried. (Incorrectly so, in retrospect, but I had very little time to make a decision) I then went back to do toxins, since the miners really wanted their BS satchels.

I at no point did anything with the intention of going “unga bunga” on you, I only thought I was defending myself from your own unga bunga.

I’m sorry I ruined your holopara round, and I hope you and rose? (Is that how it’s supposed to be read?) understand that I at no point had the intention of validhunting, and that my actions were only a product of a series of very unfortunate events and mistakes. (With so many rounds with no incident, I don’t see why I would suddenly start gaming in antags)

I’ll be lowering the ban by a few days, but I hope you understand that command staff are ALWAYS held to a higher standard. Please always roleplay if you’re a member of command staff and dont just run into an area where you’ve seen an antag, just so you can shoot at it and use bad RP reasonings to justify it.

Appeal Accepted
Duration of 9 days, expires on 2023-02-04 21:55:05.