How to actually make this server good with one weird trick (admins hate it)

The problem is that people who apply don’t get approved even if they applied a week ago. Griefers move on a timescale of hours at a time when this forum seems to move in centuries.

Your weekly suggestions on how to run the server would be taken in consideration more if you decided to apply and learn how the other side (mods and admins) works

1 Like

I don’t want to be overtly negative, but I did exactly that and, well, eight days have gone by without my application receiving any questions.

5 Likes

I mean, I’d apply as mod, I was an admin here in 2019, have about a thousand hours, and have been playing bee since before the ssethtide, but crossed won’t unmute me from the Discord server, sooooo…

That sucks :people_hugging:
Ill ask a few questions myself then as soon as i get home :heart:

ok

5 Likes

Awesome :triumph: :ok_hand:

to be honest, I wouldn’t have gone to Bee if there was a whitelist system here when I was a newbie, but also I wouldn’t have known how special beestation is. whitelist isn’t a way, but also we have low staffed issue.
I completely know my PR isn’t the exactly proper solution, but we KNOW we can’t get the real solution - getting more staff in bee.

the real solution is populating beestation, but it needs our codebase should become exotically special and unique. I am still not sure how beestation consistently gives people unique experience than TG or other codebases.

1 Like

Seeing a whitelist on a server would probably turn a lot of people away. They wouldn’t even bother reading it, because it’s simply too much trouble. I know that if I saw Bee had a whitelist, I wouldn’t have ever joined it.

5 Likes

I used to promote the idea of a whitelist but tbh I’ve realised that it really just gets rid of too many people, not just griefers.

Like I can’t count the amount of times I were tempted to go onto another server but couldn’t be bothered because of some whitelist.

I would perfer staff to be treated better overall while also understanding that new players are going to be drawn to griefing at the start and usually if not most of the time just need to be told “hey this isn’t allowed here” over “perma ban, come back in year”

I agree with this though Bee is one of the few servers that are pretty manicapped with their pops. With only 60 or 70 players allowed to play during it’s highpop hours. Granted I understand why that was done in the first place, it’s not cheap hosting a 100+ server but we have Acacia which is currently always 0 pop, seems like a waste for just a overflow server.

2 Likes

Shuttlecruise is one of the unique features, armor/blocking system different, Grods (F) a few stations, the other is being that Bee is one of the most populated servers that don’t have any of the controversial /tg/ reworks (fermichem) (combat) and some tg fellas come here for the “old days”

I agree with Acacia being a little inneficient lately, i’d rather enjoy the shenanigans of +70 pop than re-send it to a random round of acacia

Don’t forget TG’s removal of Tesla, Singulo, Radiation and making SM generate power through Tesla’s zaps.

1 Like

Since you keep going on a tirade about this, yet have ignored my actual response on github about it, ill repost my thoughts here.

If our primary concern is stopping griefers, then yes, that is a viable method. However, stopping griefers is not our primary concern.

The way whitelisted servers like skyrat work is that they offer a unique design, and have a sizeable playerbase that were both willing and commited enough to get whitelisted.

For bee though? The server thats struggling enough with pop? People would just go to MONKE, who already have supercruise and what makes us special

A whitelist is not the method of choice when you are already competing for pop. See DaedalusDock.

3 Likes

would also like to say that another reason skyrat has so many players is because… furries & insanely in-depth customization of your character

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have guessed, Erherm

2 Likes

Throwing in my 2 cents on player restrictions, they are absolutely beginner friendly. Having no restrictions is a clear negative impact for new players.

Putting a short minimum playtime restriction is key to helping new players understand the baseline of the game before they get to, say, roll a baddie job and blow shit up.

4 Likes

Some sporadic thoughts on whitelist:
I get what you’re saying regarding skyrat having a good player count regardless of whitelist, but bee just doesn’t have the pull that the furry community does. If the whitelist does cause a counterintuitive bump in player rates though, this might be a moot point.

If Bee goes whitelist you’re going to see the server die or flourish from the exclusivity effect.

1 Like

Skyrat also has the benefit of customization we don’t, alongside marketing itself as sort of what it is (HRP? Egh, ERP? Definitely)

Bee with a whitelist is just like a week’s worth of paperwork alongside no new faces.

3 Likes

That being said, none of this matters and the majority of staff consider the forums to be white noise.

Okay maybe a hard whitelist was a bad idea, but surely restrictions that babyproof newbies would be fine, right? Would both combat griefers and help genuinely new players to ease into ss13 and not accidentally kill people.

4 Likes